Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
swift sundance
Exp
since 2005
Hello All,
Denise and myself are currently away in our van in WGC Herts. We left home last Tuesday for a week away.
All seems fine whilst on the hook up with the 12v & 240v electric system. now, we run a " cool box " from the 12v socket below the electric control panel, all is fine, be it connected to the hook up or not. The problem seems to be, once we start the engine the 12v side of the van seems to become disabled. In other words, the cool box receives no power, also the internal lights don't work. Turn the engine off and 12v power is restored, not a lot of good if we are on the move. I can get the cool box to work via the 12v socket on the dash, but this means running a lead into the front of the van. I have tried switching the switch on the control panel between leisure battery and van battery and this makes no difference, the 12v side remains " dead " till the engine is turned off.
Your thoughts would be much appreciated,
Kind Regards,
John & Denise.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning
Hi John & Denise,
the good news is your motorhome is fine, This is normal on uk motorhomes, your best option is to wire a plug direct to your leasure battery, Enjoy your break.

Eric

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Habitation electrics being turned off with the engine running is standard in British built vans, a hangover from caravans and required for NCC compliance.
There will be a relay some ware could be inside or external to the charger unit that controls it, find it disconnect the coil problem solved, do check everything else works as it should once done.

OP
OP
G1YDQ

G1YDQ

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
swift sundance
Exp
since 2005
OP
OP
G1YDQ

G1YDQ

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
swift sundance
Exp
since 2005
Well, thank you "lads" that seems to have put the problem to bed, can now get on with our "break" Mad, we have had the van 18 months and never noticed it before, mind we have not used the van much till I recently retired. Should be more observant.
Kind regards,
John.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back