1000 watt solar, 2 litre recycling shower, on a Merc 4x4 PVC (1 Viewer)

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Just found this self build van conversion on a Merc 4x4 chassis, some great ideas.
Interesting shower arrangement, never heard of this concept before, only needs to lites of water which is heated and recycled during use, then ditched when finished.
Also never knew there were Solar panels that were strong enough to walk on, let alone use as roof sundecks.

Les

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I didn't like the idea of a recirculating shower:( but I'm sold now(y)

They seem to have the life work balance sorted.

Martin

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
what a great van and business idea

OP
OP
TinaLes
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Must be toughened glass, but must also have some serious supports underneath. Having looked up the size of 500 watt mono panels, dont think I would have the space left to open the rooflights :D
Les

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Must be toughened glass, but must also have some serious supports underneath. Having looked up the size of 500 watt mono panels, dont think I would have the space left to open the rooflights :D
Les
if you look closely the solar panel at the front is raised up from the roof so the fan can duct air in. the rear panel of course is mounted on a bespoke roof box with rams to assist opening

OP
OP
TinaLes
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Nearly forgot that the van uses an Induction hob also, and an electric FF, so no Gas installation needed. They do have the weather a bit better than we do of course to harvest sufficient solar.
Wish we could have seen the battery bank, Nice Victron MPPT/inverter also.
Les

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
It is actually a 2(us) gallon shower but still a great concept, I love that you can shower forever on the same two gal. while it is heated and filtered!!!!!!! The US does get a lot of bad weather and the north does have dark winter and low sun, I am sure they would need a Genny to keep all that electric stuff working in the winter----we have 500w solar and in low sun areas dont have enough power to use most of that stuff!!!!!--- unless they stayed in the south/desert all winter. Their destinations would be dictated by their electricity demand------- some really great ideas on the van though!!!!!

OP
OP
TinaLes
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Yes Your quite correct @Sundowners it was two gallons being recycled through the shower not 2 litres as I mentioned.
You have 500 watts of solar, which is pretty impressive also, as most of us only have 100 to 300 watts. I have 200 watts and if careful I can just about get by for 4 days without hook up, but then again like most I rely heavily on Gas during that time.
Still like the concept of large solar panels that can be walked on, and the roof storage facility underneath them, saves a lot of room inside the van.
Les

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Some really good ideas in that van. It does help to be fully fit (climbing on roof) & not too tall. I couldn't stand up where they were showing how they had room to.

I'm very tempted by the idea of a gas-less van, but suspect that at the very least, the heating would have to be diesel. I didn't quite pick up how their under-floor heating worked - I'll have to have another watch.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
This firm build camper bodies , with interesting set ups, for energy etc

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun