10% upfront on new van ? (1 Viewer)

Oct 5, 2019
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
im a newbie
hi is it normal for a dealer to ask for 10% when ordering and registering new van i have sent him 1k already now asking for £8 to register it ,,never bought a new one before so not sure if this ok ,,thanks

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
Thankyou but we have looked at them in the past but the Aztec XL which is on the 6.4 metre LWB has a funny extra bit on the garage which makes the kitchen really small with no worktop otherwise I think we’d be racing up there!
Are they not willing to make some changes so you get your preferred lay out?

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
So they backtracked? I thought Alan Kerr were well thought of.....
They were when Simon was there, absolute rubbish now.
If it is deal breaker and you have to pay it I would suggest you pay it by Credit Card. You will then have some protection.
Absolutely none there aren't any new vans under £30k which is the limit for section 75.

Upvote 0
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Devon conversions have a couple of fiat autos available on their website for conversion if any of their layouts suit
I’d heard they were a bit like Murvi , take it or leave it type of thing but I suppose there’s no harm in asking .

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
hi just said if they cant register it without the £9k total they asked ,,just return my £1000 and i will keep mine, they said ,,(no problem ) ? looks like i wont be getting my new van ,,:cry:

dealer has now said (alan kerr) that they will register it with £1000 i paid ,,

There’s no way a company is going to turn away £80-90k turnover this month…😆

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Nov 24, 2017
Greater London
Funster No
MH
2021 Burstner TD680G
Exp
Camping , caravanning, campervaning for 10 years
We recently bought a brand new van just shy of £90K with only a £1000 deposit which was completely refundable upon inspection of the van on collection. We bought unseen... risky we know. We had this in writing too. Be careful of large deposits

They had fitted the extras we required too but we could have walked away with our deposit back.

Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
If buying a new van you are probably over the section 75 protection although they want a lower sum than the limit it goes on the goods total price. We have been fortunate that we have bought our last 4 vans brand new and only paid £1000 deposit for each.

Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Lenny HB was more thinking about protecting his deposit if thing went pear shaped. Absolutely correct about £30k limit with CC doesn't get you much of a motorhome!!

Upvote 0
Aug 2, 2023
Oxfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Devon Aztec XL
Exp
VW T6 & tents.
Thankyou but we have looked at them in the past but the Aztec XL which is on the 6.4 metre LWB has a funny extra bit on the garage which makes the kitchen really small with no worktop otherwise I think we’d be racing up there!
Yes the extra space does go to the garage, leaving the kitchen a more standard size.
This was a big plus for us as it gives us lots more boot storage space, leaving the inside of the van feeling much tidier and less cluttered.
But of course everyone has different criteria (y)

Upvote 0
Jan 9, 2024
Norwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo coming
Exp
We are expecting our first campervan in July 2024. This will be our first so we’re new!
Consort ask for £8,500 deposit on a new PVC so that’s about 10%. Not that I was looking of course! Mind you they only seem to be building on preowned Peugots and we’d only be interested in a new Fiat Automatic. I wonder if supplies will ever improve or will these smaller companies go out of business. Not everyone wants a manual. I’d be happy but Nick’s knees wouldn’t cope.
Hi carolyn,

Have a look at Vantage Motorhomes… they’re pretty much identical in layout to Consort (the Consort owners used to own Vantage) and Vantage had new Fiat autos ready for conversion a couple of weeks ago.

It seems we got one of Consorts last Fiat autos but we did place our order around 2 years ago and are now hoping to pick up in a couple for months.

BTW, the deposit was £5k at that time although it’s now increased to £8.5k as you say.

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We paid £1000 deposit when buying our new van, they registered it the day we picked it up. I thought all new vehicles could be registered the day of collection, you wouldn’t want it done 4 weeks before so don’t understand why he’s asking for £8k to register it.

Upvote 1
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Hi carolyn,

Have a look at Vantage Motorhomes… they’re pretty much identical in layout to Consort (the Consort owners used to own Vantage) and Vantage had new Fiat autos ready for conversion a couple of weeks ago.

It seems we got one of Consorts last Fiat autos but we did place our order around 2 years ago and are now hoping to pick up in a couple for months.

BTW, the deposit was £5k at that time although it’s now increased to £8.5k as you say.
Thankyou, we are very fussy! We have looked at the Vantage Neo but we don’t like the kitchen drawers with the door over the top. It seems such a waste of space. The drawers behind the door are really tiny and useless!

We have an IH630RL which has nothing wrong with it and is only 2019 but is the Comformatic gearbox. Nick is itching to get his hands/feet on the new Auto!

Once we start wanting something we are very impatient. There’s no way we could place an order and wait 2 years. One of us might die in that time or change our mind.

I know that Scott started Vantage and sold it. Travelled a bit and then started Consort.

Upvote 0
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Yes the extra space does go to the garage, leaving the kitchen a more standard size.
This was a big plus for us as it gives us lots more boot storage space, leaving the inside of the van feeling much tidier and less cluttered.
But of course everyone has different criteria (y)
Exactly. It would be very boring if we all liked the same thing.

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
We paid £1000 deposit when buying our new van, they registered it the day we picked it up. I thought all new vehicles could be registered the day of collection, you wouldn’t want it done 4 weeks before so don’t understand why he’s asking for £8k to register it.
I think they can register in advance of pick up date, certainly our last 2 vans were as we received the V5 before pick up but date first Registered was pick up date.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
AFAIK MHs have to be registered by post so doing it on the day of collection would mean it hadn't actually been registered yet, just that the paperwork had been posted then. It can, I believe, be registered for a future date, eg paperwork sent of on 1st for it to be registered from 10th.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
AFAIK MHs have to be registered by post so doing it on the day of collection would mean it hadn't actually been registered yet, just that the paperwork had been posted then. It can, I believe, be registered for a future date, eg paperwork sent of on 1st for it to be registered from 10th.

Ours was done electronically on the day of collection - Chelston in our case - and the V5C received directly from the DVLA a few days later. I understand that some dealers have this facility as we were offered a choice of registration number a few weeks prior to that.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Registration is irrelevant to obtaining 'Ownership', which is what one needs if one is parting with £'ooos .

V5c specifically states that is not proof of ownership - look at you first page!

Bill of Sale is what you need under English Law to establish ownership.

I wonder how many members on here have one for their MH?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rob1234
Oct 5, 2019
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
im a newbie
he said it can take up to 4 weeks ,,?

Upvote 0
Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Ok a strange one, watching YouTube a few days back and a family have gone out to rent a brand new van and drive it back to the UK for the rental company, they are paying £19 a day rental but all the ferry charges are included🤔🤔
How can they register a new 2024 van in Italy with UK plates?? Does the vehicle not have to be in the UK to register??

Upvote 0
Jun 24, 2022
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam746
Same paid a 3k deposit and picked up van this March registered on the day, this request seems unusual . No way would I part with any monies once I had paid the initial agreed deposit until pick up

Upvote 0
Aug 2, 2023
Oxfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Devon Aztec XL
Exp
VW T6 & tents.
Ok a strange one, watching YouTube a few days back and a family have gone out to rent a brand new van and drive it back to the UK for the rental company, they are paying £19 a day rental but all the ferry charges are included🤔🤔
How can they register a new 2024 van in Italy with UK plates?? Does the vehicle not have to be in the UK to register??
An old colleague collected his new Porsche from the factory and drove it home - it was all registered when he collected it.

Upvote 0
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
The Home page of Consort has changed since last week. It is now saying they have Autos in stock for summer delivery. That really is a surprise as their waiting times have been horrendously long.

Upvote 0
Jan 9, 2024
Norwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo coming
Exp
We are expecting our first campervan in July 2024. This will be our first so we’re new!
The Home page of Consort has changed since last week. It is now saying they have Autos in stock for summer delivery. That really is a surprise as their waiting times have been horrendously long.
carolyn Please let me/us know what they say if you contact them as I’d be very interested to hear as I’ve had a very long wait…

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning 😊
Are they not willing to make some changes so you get your preferred lay out?

Devon make what they make (and TBH they make it well, I had an Aztec and still slightly regret selling it).

They do not customise, they do not make changes. They are a small, privately owned company and the approach is that if you do not like what they make, please go somewhere else.

Upvote 0
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Devon make what they make (and TBH they make it well, I had an Aztec and still slightly regret selling it).

They do not customise, they do not make changes. They are a small, privately owned company and the approach is that if you do not like what they make, please go somewhere else.
I think that’s fair enough to be honest . I don’t mind them not making what I like. I suppose Nick and I do know what we like we’re just hoping the blasted Fiat Autos start appearing. We do admire people who are willing to order a van and wait 18 months to 2 years for it but life’s too short. If I want a new van I don’t mind waiting a few months whilst they build it to my specs but that’s it. We did that with both our IHs. We just fancy a change.

The other thing of course is that if we can order one soon we can spec a diesel heater, it will have a compressor fridge, we can get solar plus lithium all organised for our 6 week trip to Iceland next year!! It seems there’s no lpg in Iceland and we have a 3 way fridge, lpg /electric boiler. We’re not always on proper campsites apparently.

I am adding this to my reasons to buy a new van along with Nick’s knees and “I want one” :giggle:

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Someone with more knowledge than me may have experience of this.

The company I worked for had a fleet of hire cars. A good deal was struck as often they were swopped/recalled by the lease company after 6 months. They were then sold on. And replaced with a new one

Even to the stage that on one exchange I was waiting for the transporter to be unloaded. Quick check and away. 7 miles on the clock

I was told it was something to to with import tax.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rob1234
Oct 5, 2019
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
im a newbie
Registration is irrelevant to obtaining 'Ownership', which is what one needs if one is parting with £'ooos .

V5c specifically states that is not proof of ownership - look at you first page!

Bill of Sale is what you need under English Law to establish ownership.

I wonder how many members on here have one for their MH?
i dont think anyone is saying its not ,,but if its registered to me ,,doesnt that put an extra owner on it? thus reducing the value ,,but i might be wrong ,, ,or can they register it ,without putting a name to it ?

Upvote 0
Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996
Depends on the circumstances. Is it LHD? Is it already registered in Italy? Are they intending to buy it, then UK register it? Could you post the link?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back