Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
We had a cheap one, it was very shit.
Paid 90 quid for it about 5 years ago, Ann only wanted it for Readly. It was very slooooow, had an old version of android, sod all storage (les than advertised) and bloody adverts kept popping up.

The spec of yours looks better (if you can believe them) but I still wouldn't bother. I ended up paying 250 for a Samsung one and it's brilliant.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
You can get an amazon Fire HD 10" (2020) for <£120 if you "Watch List" it to see when the price drops.

We did that to get a decent tool to watched streamed video on in the MH

EDIT: But I missed the mentioned of a sat nav role. Still, you can do better than ebay...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2019
Stourbridge
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur LVX855 A
Exp
Since 2001
The tablet that you are interested to replace your TomTom doesn't seem to have GPS mentioned in the spec. I don't think Fire tablets have it either.

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
If you have mifi or can tether to a phone it will run maps, but the lag will make you want to hit it with a hammer.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
You need GPS in anything that you will use for a satnav.
Look for a sale or used satnav, You will only waste money trying to save!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Thinking of buying one of these to use in moho as a replacement for my aging Tomtom
Has anyone any experience of these cheapish tablets ?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-...0001&campid=5338547443&icep_item=164305985676
I had one of these sort of things a couple of years ago, complete rubbish, nowhere near as good as the old one I already had.
Another thing with these cheapy Chinese now is ,you don't know what sort of spy ware they may have installed in the background to collect your passwords and card details.
Wouldn't touch one again.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
I bought a Garmin Nuvi with European maps & lifetime updates for 60 quid about 5 years ago - still works great.......

Metamorfosis

Free Member
Oct 13, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 680g
Here is a huawei mediapad bundled with a huawei 4g router if you need that too

I would go for the 4gb/64gb version for £170. The router is £40 on amazon so basically paying £130 for a good tablet that can accept a sim card if needed, full hd screen, very fast, loads of memory

Got this all from hotukdeals. Get comments there as to its quality

I personally have the big brother to this tablet, the M5 and its superb. You might get a good one on facebook marketplace for £200 and for that price its a helluva tablet but for what you need the T5 is bang on the money

Last edited:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I got an Aldi special (brand Medion) and run the iGo app as a satnav. Other satnav apps are available and many are free for a trial period. I tried a few and paid for the one I liked best.

I think the hardware was around £100 (maybe a bit less or a bit more). Much cheaper than a branded dedicated satnav. It has a GPS built in and the battery life is good - BUT I do have to remember to turn it off completely when I am finished with it as in standby it still uses an awful lot of power. I could put the Kindle app on it and more if I wanted but I haven't as I already have a (very old now) Samsung Tablet with other apps. If the Samsung dies or I forget it I'll put Kindle onto the Medion - maybe.

The cheap Chinese Satnag was a waste of money - lasted about a year and no battery life - plus the lifetime maps promise was just empty words - probably pirate software and they couldn't crack the code for the updates.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We had a cheap one, it was very shit.
Paid 90 quid for it about 5 years ago, Ann only wanted it for Readly. It was very slooooow, had an old version of android, sod all storage (les than advertised) and bloody adverts kept popping up.

The spec of yours looks better (if you can believe them) but I still wouldn't bother. I ended up paying 250 for a Samsung one and it's brilliant.
I found that out the hard way as well cheap are just crap, if was slow and Wifi very weak
Here is a huawei mediapad bundled with a huawei 4g router if you need that too

I would go for the 4gb/64gb version for £170. The router is £40 on amazon so basically paying £130 for a good tablet that can accept a sim card if needed, full hd screen, very fast, loads of memory

Got this all from hotukdeals. Get comments there as to its quality

I personally have the big brother to this tablet, the M5 and its superb. You might get a good one on facebook marketplace for £200 and for that price its a helluva tablet but for what you need the T5 is bang on the money
The Huawei 's are quite good I have an M5 but DON'T buy the latest Huawei's they don't have Google Play Sevices which makes them unusable with a lot of apps e.g. Camper Contact, Park4Night and thousands of others that require Google Play services.

A couple of months ago I bought a new Huawei phone I even sideloaded Google Play services on it and it still wouldn't run CC or P4N properly, luckily I bought it from Amazon so I was able to return it after using it for a week.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I found that out the hard way as well cheap are just crap, if was slow and Wifi very weak

The Huawei 's are quite good I have an M5 but DON'T buy the latest Huawei's they don't have Google Play Sevices which makes them unusable with a lot of apps e.g. Camper Contact, Park4Night and thousands of others that require Google Play services.

A couple of months ago I bought a new Huawei phone I even sideloaded Google Play services on it and it still wouldn't run CC or P4N properly, luckily I bought it from Amazon so I was able to return it after using it for a week.
This again comes down to security, I know I may sound paranoid, but if you try these things for so long, obviously you have put your Google details in and maybe other stuff, how do you know it can't still be found somewhere in it even if you have wiped it, when you send it back.
Just not worth it for the sake of a few more pounds to get a good one.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back