10 days in February - what to do?? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
As per the title, we have 10 days off in February and just cannot decide on what to do with them! (3rd to 12th inclusive, just the 2 of us, no dogs, no kids)
Could stay in the UK but weather could be crap, though if we get some lovely weather (by which I mean no storms / miserable rain) as I don't mind the cold crisp weather, then we may do a tour up to Scotland and back, or possibly head into Wales as we've never been.

However, the other option is the continent (especially if the weather here is crap)

Now from Bedford I can easily be in France by the first day leaving 8 days of a circuitous route and back home on day 10. We did France for the first time last October for about the same period up and down the Normandy coast and loved it, all on aires, no problem. Of course that time of year a lot was shut, but it was still enjoyable.

I've also been thinking of getting off the ferry and turning left, to Belgium as it looks gorgeous but I know literally nothing about Belgium, from the language to what side of the road they drive :ROFLMAO:

Not looking for a site to stay on for 8 days, happy to use search for sites / aires etc etc the priority is close to nice places to explore / eat / shop / drink and just spend time together. The mrs' mobility isn't fantastic so stops as close to towns and good public transport are a must.

What would you do at that time of year for a motorhome trip? Any thoughts?

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Hard to say until we get a little closer and likely weather can factored in.
Remember, France gets less beneficial effect from the gulf stream than we do so in can be colder in northern France than in UK.
Personally, I'd opt for either Wales or Scotland dependant on where the best weather is.
Wales has some spectacular scenery and if you've never been that's got to be corrected. Only downside is when it rains, it don't half rain. But you can be rewarded as well with the countryside.
Much like Scotland, but probably closer.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Both Wales and Belgium are great options but the weather a big factor. With no dogs or kids to consider, then I would leave it until week before, check forecast, as you can probably get a reasonably priced ferry crossing last minute.
Belgium just like France, mostly speak French, use euros and drive on the right. Some of the WW1 sites are very interesting and towns like Bruges and Ghent worth a visit.
We have stayed a couple of times at the free canal side stop at Stepy-Theiu where there are 4 canal boat lifts.
There are aires around similar to France.

OP
OP
PaulC70
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
Hard to say until we get a little closer and likely weather can factored in.
Remember, France gets less beneficial effect from the gulf stream than we do so in can be colder in northern France than in UK.
Personally, I'd opt for either Wales or Scotland dependant on where the best weather is.
Wales has some spectacular scenery and if you've never been that's got to be corrected. Only downside is when it rains, it don't half rain. But you can be rewarded as well with the countryside.
Much like Scotland, but probably closer.

yes, been through Wales many times on the way to the ferry to Ireland going home to visit my parents, but never managed to really holiday there, problem with Wales is it seemed fairly motorhome unfriendly though seems a slight change recently. Plus there's the wifes mobility being a big factor. Rain doesn't completely put me off if the forecast happened to be wrong, I grew up in Donegal, if it's not raining, somethings wrong :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Both Wales and Belgium are great options but the weather a big factor. With no dogs or kids to consider, then I would leave it until week before, check forecast, as you can probably get a reasonably priced ferry crossing last minute.
Belgium just like France, mostly speak French, use euros and drive on the right. Some of the WW1 sites are very interesting and towns like Bruges and Ghent worth a visit.
We have stayed a couple of times at the free canal side stop at Stepy-Theiu where there are 4 canal boat lifts.
There are aires around similar to France.

Yep, thinking the same about the booking vs weather forecast. Very tempted to try Belgium I have to say the more I look at it.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
yes, been through Wales many times on the way to the ferry to Ireland going home to visit my parents, but never managed to really holiday there, problem with Wales is it seemed fairly motorhome unfriendly though seems a slight change recently. Plus there's the wifes mobility being a big factor. Rain doesn't completely put me off if the forecast happened to be wrong, I grew up in Donegal, if it's not raining, somethings wrong :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Yep, thinking the same about the booking vs weather forecast. Very tempted to try Belgium I have to say the more I look at it.
Have you checked out photo of the day thread from about 24th 25th march for 12 days last year. We circumnavigated Brussels.
Bikes were very beneficial though.
You could fill up your days with Ghent Bruges Ypres bergues wormhout without too much effort at all plus some others.
Ardennes also diamond area and following the Meuse from givet northwards also a good option.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We have done two round trips of Belgium and, in particular, found that it is easy to park at WW1 sites and monuments with layby parking outside for smaller places and car parks with facilities at larger ones with good accessibility. Both Bruges and Ghent, you can use a hop on (not literally) hop off boat service and on a nice day it’s is good to just sit there and go all around.
The newest Strepy-Thieu boat lift has lifts inside the visitor centre (closed on Mondays).

OP
OP
PaulC70
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
I really have zero interest in anything other than a motorhome holiday and certainly wouldn’t entertain cold wet Britain for warm little Britain :cool:

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
yes, been through Wales many times on the way to the ferry to Irelan"d going home to visit my parents, but never managed to really holiday there, problem with Wales is it seemed fairly motorhome unfriendly though seems a slight change recently. Plus there's the wifes mobility being a big factor. Rain doesn't completely put me off if the forecast happened to be wrong, I grew up in Donegal, if it's not raining, somethings wrong :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Hi.
Donegal. " If its not raining somethings wrong "... Bridgwater Somerset....... " If you can see the Bridge its going to rain,if you cannot see the bridge..... Its raining... :ROFLMAO: ."
Belgium- Luxembourg. If you have never been to stopover. Belgium. If the weather is nice,some good accessible beaches. Some of the old Trenches are in/on trading estates ( Easy access ). Luxembourg. More sites there,a Museum to Gen. Patton and the battle of the bulge. In both these countries there is more to see than you can shake a stick at and they are close...
One " Site " we stayed at in Luxembourg.( C/van days ) " Camping Gritt ". We had a Riverside pitch,it was magic and close to all sorts of attractions,there . Cycle/walking/mobility wide track along the " Avenue of Martyrs ? " There are statues of the folk who paid the price. i think there is/was restaurant on site.... Would it be open while you were there ? This is going back some years.
Just got to chuck this in. As you came out of the site,onto the road,the house gateway opposite had a Motor cycle fuel tank as a Letter Box....... NO.... I never got around to it.....BUT...... Its not over,'till the " Fuller figure ? :ROFLMAO: " lady sings........ ( Side stepped that one.... )
Tea Bag.

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
A trip we did a few Christmas ago Bruges or Ghent, Cologne and then into the Vogelsang/Eifel National Park. and back via Trier.

Old Monchau is worth a visit a small medieval town on the edge of the Eifel Park and the Nazi Training ground at Vogelsang is interesting if you are into WW2 History.

RV park Gemünd Eifel National Park, Pfarrer-Kneipp-Straße 3, 53937 Schleiden, Germany

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back