1 mph over the limit and you are nicked (2 Viewers)

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
The thing about being booked for speeding is that the reading they use is never the true speed of the vehicle, ....
Visualise a triangle of vectors , path of vehicle as A.
Right angle from the path is B
and the hypotenuse is C.
The hypotenuse C is always greater than the the path of the vehicle A and depends on the distance from the centre of the path of that vehicle path A to the point at which it was taken which is distance B
Simple maths gives the difference, If B is significant ie three lanes of a dual carriageway and the reading taken at a short distance the greater the error. It could make a LOT OF DIFFERENCE to a court case if the magistrates are not too stupid to understand the theory and the speed quoted by the Police not a deal over the limit.

Sorry simply not true, well the basic trigonometry, is but not in the circumstances you outline. The speed "trap" is using a measuring device utilising radio waves at phenomenal speeds in relation to the distances measured over, the time it takes for the bounce to produce the doppler effect at these speeds will not be very different in the case you outline above.

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Just completed aa driveteck course again speeding limits are set by cchief constable area to erea 10 percent plus 9mph (42in a30)) Notts Wales is 2 percent plus 1mph speedometer is set at 3mph so if you stay with in speedo reading you will always be under the speed limits

Afraid you are incorrect regarding Notts, I was prosecuted for 34 in a 30 area when driving through Upton.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Sorry simply not true, well the basic trigonometry, is but not in the circumstances you outline. The speed "trap" is using a measuring device utilising radio waves at phenomenal speeds in relation to the distances measured over, the time it takes for the bounce to produce the doppler effect at these speeds will not be very different in the case you outline above.
The hypotenuse effect is well documented, but it has the effect of lowering speed detected rather than increasing! Don't believe me, get the trigonometry books out.
The preferred device used for speed detection is the LTI 20-20, which is a laser based device, therefore the trig holds true. Doppler effect radar was widely discredited in the early 80's when it was shown to be hopelessly inaccurate, hence the road markings next to GATSO devices.
So using a laser device fired from an elevated position at the road below should always read lower speeds than the actual speed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Can only comment on official explanation given in writing to me will copy and paste at a later date. Sometimes life's a bitch as stated depends on chief constable at the time

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Just completed aa driveteck course again speeding limits are set by cchief constable area to erea 10 percent plus 9mph (42in a30)) Notts Wales is 2 percent plus 1mph speedometer is set at 3mph so if you stay with in speedo reading you will always be under the speed limits

I can't believe that 10% plus 9mph was trotted out at a speed awareness course to give a 42 limit in a 30mph limit. I think you must have misunderstood or got confused. There are national guidelines for this which you can google if you wish probably published by ACPO. It is definitely 10% plus 2 mph so 35mph in a 30mph limit at 79 on a motorway where the limit is 70.

One of the main points of the speed awareness courses is to stress the injuries that a human being can suffer when you exceed 30mph. At over 35 mph the risks of death rather than injury are far more likely.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Heading down the M6 between Manchester and Birmingham on the 3rd January, in very heavy rain.

Travelling in the middle lane at about 60mph the car in front suddenly braked very hard, for no apparent reason. Luckily, I had left sufficient gap between us to avoid a collision.

I then spotted the Police van parked on the bridge across the Motorway.

Such is our paranoia nowadays that the mere sight of a Police car/van or speed camera leads to emergency braking before we have time to check our speedometer. I have even found myself braking even though I was travelling on Cruise Control, set 2mph below the limit.

I wonder how many accidents are caused by such circumstances. A cost/benefit analysis may be revealing.

The likelihood is he was in a dream and didn't have clue what speed he going at, or he hadn't a clue what the speed limit was.
A local road to me is 40mph and there are signs all the way along it and still loads of people insist on traveling along it at 30mph - Not a clue!

So many drivers don't concentrate when they are driving making it dangerous for us that do.
There is a double safety built in to motoring, I'm trying to avoid crashing into you and you should be avoiding crashing into me.
When one of us is not paying attention the safety factor is halved!!!

Also it amuses me that people will speed up to the white line before speed cameras and then brake, not realising that the white line is a devious ploy.
The camera is focused a hundred yards or more before the line.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
It is not the speed of the radio waves but the simple distance involved it measure the time you cover the distance and the trig applies because the distance you are timed over are on the ground ahead of you and not the hypotenuse the beam measures down. They are very accurate bur the distance differ so regardless of the tracked speed it still applies.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
You mean I only did 158mph on my Blackbird
you can get the T-shirt then !
tmp_15527-150_mph_plus_t_shirt-r46fa039077084194a86741d7c4091a48_jg4dk_324-2048376171.jpg

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I read a piece that said police Scotland were very happy that the speed cameras were far more accurate than they had at first thought they would be and now wanted to bring down the 'over speed' allowed, plus has has been said, if you are exceeding the speed limit by 5mph because your speedometer is set 3mph over then your travelling at 8mph over on your speedo.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Every other law in the country you either break or don't break.

But folk argue about how much you can break the speeding laws.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
You have just insulted several million Scots. Well done.
How could anyone with a brain vote for a party that was going to lead the country into independence banking on an oil price of $120+ per barrel??

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
How could anyone with a brain vote for a party that was going to lead the country into independence banking on an oil price of $120+ per barrel??
How can anyone with a brain suddenly decide several million people are pond life?

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
How can anyone with a brain suddenly decide several million people are pond life?
since when did 1.4 million deluded people who voted SNP at the last Westminster elections and less than one million who voted SNP at the last Holyrood elections become 'several million people' . Try and get your figures right before we even get started! The only reason the SNP are in is there is no other nationalist party, unlike the union parties.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
since when did 1.4 million deluded people who voted SNP at the last Westminster elections and less than one million who voted SNP at the last Holyrood elections become 'several million people' . Try and get your figures right before we even get started!
I won't bother arguing as you are a sad angry man. No place for unhappy people in my world.
Welcome to my ignore list .

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
I won't bother arguing as you are a sad angry man. No place for unhappy people in my world.
Easy mistake to make......thinking the 50 SNP Westminster seats were voted for by 'several million people' instead of 1.4 million.
I don't operate an ignore list (y)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Yes, they are. On a bike, it's called 'progression', and is taught to all advanced motorcyclists. (y)
Not when they come towards you in your lane making you swerve to avoid them, and I speak as an ex advanced motorcyclist instructor I never taught people to do that .

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I wonder how many accidents are caused by such circumstances. A cost/benefit analysis may be revealing.

The TRL reports state that speed cameras at roadworks increase the accident rate.
Mainly down to people being to stupid to drive safely.

& there are specific rules & regs about how ,where & why the guns can be used , what has to be done before each & every shift specifically calibration checks. Most aren't used in the correct manner.
Even holding it at arms length on the target & it moving fractionally induces errors.

That's why the world is in the state it is when people bury their heads. Then a while down the line it is suddenly " well how did that happen ?"

The easiest way to ensure that you do not inadvertently stray over the limit is to use a jammer. Not that I'm in any way condoning speeding , just pointing out that's safer than people who keep having to look at their speedo.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
All car and motorcycle speedos are set to read ten percent high. These devices are incredibly accurate these days so 33 MPH should be 30.
Sat navs should be spot on accurate . If they aren't the device is faulty.

Simple answer is don't speed just as don't drink at all if driving. The risk is then nil.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I'll still never understand why people feel the need to work out how how far over the indicated speed on their speedo they can drive to be pushing right against the speed limit. Now in this thread it's how far over the speed limit you can drive and get away with it. I really don't get it. The speed limit is meant to be just that - a maximum limit, not a minimum target.

Just stick to what your speedo indicates and nobody will ever have a problem.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
I'll still never understand why people feel the need to work out how how far over the indicated speed on their speedo they can drive to be pushing right against the speed limit. Now in this thread it's how far over the speed limit you can drive and get away with it. I really don't get it. The speed limit is meant to be just that - a maximum limit, not a minimum target.

Just stick to what your speedo indicates and nobody will ever have a problem.
That's exactly what has happened.......people have worked to the upper limit of the speed error system and taken the piss. Now the powers that be want to stop that and of course make some extra money out of the people who are just to stupid to realise they will eventually get caught and the law does not apply to them.

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
I'll still never understand why people feel the need to work out how how far over the indicated speed on their speedo they can drive to be pushing right against the speed limit.
My view is that this is because of too many inappropriate speed limits. The blunt nature of their use causes so much frustration. For example we have a new school on the edge of our town that used to be 60mph and now (quite rightly) has been reduced to 30mph however the 30mph is only really important for 1 hour each morning and evening, that is 10 hours each week leaving the other 158 hours of the week with an unnecessary low speed limit.
We have many sites like this for many different reasons but all of them use the lowest common denominator speed limit to protect against a very specific/precise issue
The only safe speed is an "appropriate" speed ie the prevailing road conditions should dictate more than arbitrary limits

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back