ÂŁ25 fine for driving on the grass ! (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
P
Jul 10, 2017
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Official warning in the welcome pack !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
A licence to print money on many sites

Yeah sure it is. Someone puts a pair of skid holes/trenches on your lawn, cos they just keep revving.

Wait till it dries
Dig up the compressed area
break up the sods and rake/till the soil, compress it but keep it about an inch higher than the surrounding area
Re-seed
Protect the area
Water regularly

So what's a fair charge?

Apr 7, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 580
Exp
Since 2002
Easy, they'll just deduct the amount using the credit card details you gave them, when paying the balance of your booking. ;)

I certainly wouldn't put it past them.

Cheers

Jock. :)
Nope you’re not allowed to do that. It requires pre-authorisation used by industries like hotels and car hire. Campsites are not allowed to do it.

Dec 5, 2017
York, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Almost approaching average
We were on a site recently where the lady owner carefully places large heavy rubber pads about 6’ by 2’ at the pitch entry corners when an arrival is due so that customers don’t worry about/can’t damage the grass.
One day while she was off site, a young couple arrived tugging a medium sized caravan. They ignored the one way loop and stopped by the pitch. Obvious what the owner required as she had placed 6 of these at the corners and opposite grass.
He jumps in the van and drives straight uphill on the sodden ground across the back of our pitch until all his four (4x4) wheels and the caravan wheels are on the grass opposite his pitch so he can have a nice straight reverse in back across the site road. Two huge 6” deep wheel ruts for maybe 6or 7 yards. Pitch destroyed for a long time.
She should have thrown them off as it wasn’t a small driving misjudgment but a “couldn’t give. F**k” approach. Whether his method might have been different if an upfront notice of £25 fine was relayed we shall never know…..

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Yeah sure it is. Someone puts a pair of skid holes/trenches on your lawn, cos they just keep revving.

Wait till it dries
Dig up the compressed area
break up the sods and rake/till the soil, compress it but keep it about an inch higher than the surrounding area
Re-seed
Protect the area
Water regularly

So what's a fair charge?
with the soft soil on some sites, they turn sloppy quickly, then every vehicle that drives over it in the wet does damage. The warden goes over, treads it down flat, runs the mower over and it's ready to charge the next visitor. I agree that if you want to maintain a bowling green, it takes a lot of work, but those sites are in a minority

I was on a rally last year at Bucklers hard in the New Forest, on the mouth of the Beulieu river. Ours wasn't the only motorhome that sank in whilst parked for 5 nights. But I was one of only a few that "rocked it out" on tickover without tearing more grass up. I apologised for the damage to the site manager, but she was used to it because the site had a deep layer of river silt over a sandy layer. First time it rains the water seems to just sink in, but the soil stays damp. They were taking advice on whether they can sow a different grass with better rooting system to "harden" the surface

ÂŁ25 is not enough to repair damaged grass, but how many people can be charged that for the same piece of grass?

May 10, 2012
west midlands
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
we are newbies
A fair charge would be ÂŁ50 and they might think twice about damaging the grass then and be more careful

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
with the soft soil on some sites, they turn sloppy quickly, then every vehicle that drives over it in the wet does damage. The warden goes over, treads it down flat, runs the mower over and it's ready to charge the next visitor. I agree that if you want to maintain a bowling green, it takes a lot of work, but those sites are in a minority

I was on a rally last year at Bucklers hard in the New Forest, on the mouth of the Beulieu river. Ours wasn't the only motorhome that sank in whilst parked for 5 nights. But I was one of only a few that "rocked it out" on tickover without tearing more grass up. I apologised for the damage to the site manager, but she was used to it because the site had a deep layer of river silt over a sandy layer. First time it rains the water seems to just sink in, but the soil stays damp. They were taking advice on whether they can sow a different grass with better rooting system to "harden" the surface

ÂŁ25 is not enough to repair damaged grass, but how many people can be charged that for the same piece of grass?

If you are pitched on soft grass that's the site's problem. I'm talking about people who drive onto the grass when they shouldn't.

Had a couple this month already. If you don't fix it you are reminded of the ruts all summer as you bounce over them in the mower

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
If you are pitched on soft grass that's the site's problem. I'm talking about people who drive onto the grass when they shouldn't.

Had a couple this month already. If you don't fix it you are reminded of the ruts all summer as you bounce over them in the mower
pick yourself up a roller Jim, not not another Rolls Royce, a decent ground roller

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you don't fix it you are reminded of the ruts all summer as you bounce over them in the mower
Yaaaahoooooooo .... ride 'em cowboy! :LOL:

Mar 9, 2021
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
We were at a site last year with the usual log-jam at the service point in the morning.
One bloke pulling a caravan decided he couldn’t wait and drove up the grass BEHIND the MSP.
Muck everywhere, 6 wheels going through soft, damp soil.
Soil and bits of grass up the roadway out of the site.
The poor warden was nearly in tears.

OP
OP
P
Jul 10, 2017
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
The info ……

Attachments

• 824F7117-7F5E-4DED-BBEA-B52B90053470.jpeg
    824F7117-7F5E-4DED-BBEA-B52B90053470.jpeg
    677.4 KB · Views: 208
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
When people go over wet grass it sinks and compresses the ground . A roller won't lift it, you have to do as I outlined above.
Can't you just fill the ruts and let the wriggley wormies do the airating bit ?

Mar 12, 2021
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
carthago e line 64xl
Exp
As a park owner I agree with the park and Jim that tourists do not know how much hard work goes into keeping the site looking nice and flat only for someone who does not use there brain to drive over the grass and ruin all there hard work I charged 2 lads over ÂŁ100 to tow them out with a tractor and repair 2 long ruts in a newly seeded area , So if you can get to the plot without going on the grass no problem keep them off the grass.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Nope you’re not allowed to do that. It requires pre-authorisation used by industries like hotels and car hire. Campsites are not allowed to do it.
They can if it is clearly in their T&Cs, as it is with hotels and car hire companies.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back