LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Van's don't have the same speed limit as cars (unless it is registered as a motorcaravan). It is 50,60,60 for any van.

The only vans that can do the same as a car are car derived vans.

My vivaro for instance is not much bigger than a car but is limited by law to 50,60,60.

You are incorrect. Speed limit on motorway is 70mph unless:

a) Towing
b) Bus over 12m
c) over 7500kg (and not a bus)

Your Vivaro is quite legal to do 70mph on the motorway.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Van's don't have the same speed limit as cars (unless it is registered as a motorcaravan). It is 50,60,60 for any van.

My vivaro for instance is not much bigger than a car but is limited by law to 50,60,60.
A van can do 70 on a motorway it's 60 on a duel carridgway

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
You are incorrect. Speed limit on motorway is 70mph unless:

a) Towing
b) Bus over 12m
c) over 7500kg (and not a bus)

Your Vivaro is quite legal to do 70mph on the motorway.

BTW, it should be noted that some vehicles are required to be limited to speeds actually below the speed limit. Many buses are limited to 100kph (62mph) despite the speed limit of 70mph, whilst many commercial vehicles are limited to 90kph (56mph) despite being technically allowed 60mph.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
The speed limit for your MH will depend on your vehicles weight. You’ll be tied to similar speeds as the HGVs or you can go at car speeds. For me setting the speed limiter at 65 means I’m a tad faster than the HGVs which I find is more comfortable as I don’t have to be mixed up with them.

as for noise whilst driving perhaps I’m bad at stowage, but higher speeds will increase noise and whistles from the non aerodynamic stuff on the roof.
Just turn up the radio you'll be fine or do like I do and sing

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
I heard (or read somewhere) it was 60 mph for vans 🤔
Nope and if you're motorhome MIRO is under 3050kg you can travel at normal speed limits on all roads.

Over 3050 it's 50 on a 60mph single lane A road, 60 on a duelled A road and 70 on a motorway.

It's why the A1 causes so much build up, the speeds are slower when the signs are green to what they are when it becomes the A1M and the signs are blue.

You won't get a fixed penalty at 68mph in 60 limit nor 79mph in a 70 limit. Rule of thumb for most if not all Constabularies is 10% plus 2 mph and most forces are dealing with endorsements and fixed penalties themselves now rather than the magistrates.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Nope and if you're motorhome MIRO is under 3050kg you can travel at normal speed limits on all roads.
It is the unladen weight that determines the speed limit, your MIRO can be over 3050kg and you can still travel at car speeds providing your unladen weight is under 3050.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
The ones that really really pi$$ me off are the ones who think the middle lane at 60 miles an hour is a perfectly acceptable place to be even though there is a perfectly good inside lane with virtually nothing in it, and God knows there's enough of e'm.:rolleyes:
Exactly the same applies to those who sit in the outside lane at 70 MPH and think that's OK when the inside and middle lanes are vacant in the immediate vicinity. Too many people obstruct traffic when they should move over but stay out to overtake that next vehicle 100 yards ahead! I have to say that our roads are getting more and more intolerable by the day exacerbated by road planners removing bus lay-bys to force traffic to wait and slow down, reduce emissions, put in excessive cycle lanes etcetera!

I have recently watched both an ambulance and a police car separately obstructed by drivers sat in the outside lane, overtaking nothing and completely oblivious to the sirens and flashing lights behind them. Both were very good and did not undertake! I can only hope the drivers in front were reported and given tickets and fines for obstruction.

dipsie

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A/Trail V Line 635
Exp
26 years
tonyidle, sorry I forgot about the A Class inability to “ fall out “ the RHD drivers door. I have actually owned several over the years, two new Burstner 821 tag’s A Class and an Adria Sonic.
I remember now that I used to do it by feel, I have always reversed up the levellers, judge/feel that you are where you want to be and apply the hand brake that would sink the rear end a little as the inner pads took up their slack.
If I had to rely on my wife’s judgement I’d be ready to come home by the time she guessed how high we needed to be ! Ouch !

I have always reversed on as it give a better chance of getting away if the ground is a bit soggy, if it looked dodgy I have tied cords to the front of the levellers and to the mirrors and drag them away with the van rather than try to dodge them with the rear wheels, when on firmer ground retrieve the levellers.

BernieT

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
They can't have it both ways. Yo fail a test driving at 30 in a 30mph limit. They can't the spot ****/cks on a course that that is acceptable.
That should have read " fail a test at 30mph in a 40 mph limit."
Thankfully I can ignore your opinion of why I understand some people drive at 50. Only 20 below the legal limit. And only 10 below other vehicle regulations. You think that is more of a hazard than the idiots doing over the legal limit? Really? What strange logic.
Yes . These days no one expects to come across someone going slowly. Except here where they watch cabbages grow.

So does the argument extend to remove lorry limiters to let them all do 60? Far more lorries at 56 than MH at 50 in my experience.
Legally in the UK all lorries can do 60 under UK regs .It is EU regs that limit them to 56mph.
Like @Gromett I sometimes slipstream a big truck at a safe distance doing 56 mph. You can feel the tow and I'm certain it saves diesel. Only if the conditions are right and another impatient truck isn't tailgating me. Otherwise I find a true 62mph feels about righ
True. within 30m of a truck saves you around 11% in fuel. within 3m , which is why the trucks get as close as possible, saves around 39% in diesel. Apart from the fact that if he stops you plough in to him.
Vehicle limited to 52 mph and we were not put under any pressure to get the job done. There were no timed deliveries, just whenever we got there. All quite relaxed really and I like to think very safe.
Lovely. Your company is paying you to go slowly ,take as long as you want & the other 90% of us who needed to arrive before we left to be able to complete the days work before tomorrows work started ,have to work out how to get past you.

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Lovely. Your company is paying you to go slowly ,take as long as you want & the other 90% of us who needed to arrive before we left to be able to complete the days work before tomorrows work started ,have to work out how to get past you.
Leave earlier. 👍

Apr 17, 2016
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic E Line
Exp
Since March 2004
If you re in a Scania they know every aspect of how that truck is being driven, In some cases they can even tell you you re about to break down before its actually happen
Most HGV trucks today are all equipped with the same technology. Telematics has come a long way over the last few years. Most operators can view how fast they travel, time on cruise, harsh braking etc. The biggest breakthrough as far as I am concerned is the now virtually standard fitment of cameras which records information to a hard drive and can be accessed at the "traffic office" I was involved in the truck industry for forty years and feel that the standard of driving has deteriorated over those years. I now report trucks to the owners as and when for the way some drive. The worst example is tail gating in low speed limits eg a class roads. Very intimidating indeed. I could go on a lot longer with some of the things I have seen and been told by drivers but I will spare you all the lengthy tome. We all need to understand be courteous and above all be aware. May be we do not all drive as well as we think we do!!

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Motorhome with toad yesterday on the m42. Not enough space for a car between them and the backside of an artic thus a tanker having to double the time it took to overtake both. Totally oblivious to the queue that formed behind.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
BTW, it should be noted that some vehicles are required to be limited to speeds actually below the speed limit. Many buses are limited to 100kph (62mph) despite the speed limit of 70mph, whilst many commercial vehicles are limited to 90kph (56mph) despite being technically allowed 60mph.
Any Motorhome regardless of weight is also allowed to do 70mph on a motorway.

Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
I'm not bothered by anyone driving at 50 on a motorway as long as they're in lane one , what winds me up is

A - cars arriving at the merge point of a sliproad at 45mph and expecting traffic to let you on , I can make it to the merge point at 65-70 in a 700cc smart car

B- matching the speed of a vehicle in lane one as you enter the motorway expecting them to do something rather than you accelerating or decelerating to merge either side , this can end up in you brake they brake so you end up doing 30 and they're still on the sliproad

C - people that join at 60 but straight into lane two for their entire journey

D- Smart motorway driving

Lane 1 trucks taking the next junction 5 miles away
Lane 2 trucks not taking the next junction 5 miles away but they treat lane 1 as the longest sliproad in the UK
Lane 3 Old lane 2 drivers doing 60
Lane 4 BMW MERC AUDI lane 80-99mph

E - those that see being overtaken by a van as a dick size challenge so 60 in lane 2 now becomes 70 in lane 2 leaving the speed limited van stuck in lane 3

F - trucks that will not do 50 in the average speed roadworks and bully their way through putting people's lives at risk for what , 2 minutes if that

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I'm not bothered by anyone driving at 50 on a motorway as long as they're in lane one , what winds me up is

A - cars arriving at the merge point of a sliproad at 45mph and expecting traffic to let you on , I can make it to the merge point at 65-70 in a 700cc smart car

B- matching the speed of a vehicle in lane one as you enter the motorway expecting them to do something rather than you accelerating or decelerating to merge either side , this can end up in you brake they brake so you end up doing 30 and they're still on the sliproad

C - people that join at 60 but straight into lane two for their entire journey

D- Smart motorway driving

Lane 1 trucks taking the next junction 5 miles away
Lane 2 trucks not taking the next junction 5 miles away but they treat lane 1 as the longest sliproad in the UK
Lane 3 Old lane 2 drivers doing 60
Lane 4 BMW MERC AUDI lane 80-99mph

E - those that see being overtaken by a van as a dick size challenge so 60 in lane 2 now becomes 70 in lane 2 leaving the speed limited van stuck in lane 3

F - trucks that will not do 50 in the average speed roadworks and bully their way through putting people's lives at risk for what , 2 minutes if that
I agree especially regarding people leaving and joining via slip roads, it never ceases to amaze me what people expect of a 44tonne truck!

I am reluctant to use the former hard shoulder on "smart" motorways unless visibility is really good and traffic is light because I dont want to be confronted with a broken down vehicle and nowhere to go.

50mph roadworks is a contentious one because car speedos tend to overread and the commercial driver is frequently under time pressure although this doesn't excuse all of the behaviour. Additionally some of our foreign registered friends know that they dont have to bother because they're not going to be prosecuted.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
This is a very good point, which often means merging at 56 MPH to fit between the HGVs. To then slow down to 50 MPH and cause the traffic you have just merged with to either slow down or pull out round you would be very inconsiderate.

Jun 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
Since 2008

Van speed limit on motorway is 70mph if it is under 7.5T

Attachments

• National speed limits.pdf
    121.8 KB · Views: 24
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
The guy ragging it down the road at 100mph in his BMW or Audi with all its safety features is probably much safer than the guy doing 70 in a clapped out old underpowered banger of a hatchback.
So it should be with all vehicles including RV's and caravans, some are far more capable than others and should be regulated accordingly.
As to not holding up trucks, I always try to stay at a speed that aligns me to them or faster if safe and keep out of the way as much as possible.
If they can drive.BUSBY

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
tonyidle, sorry I forgot about the A Class inability to “ fall out “ the RHD drivers door. I have actually owned several over the years, two new Burstner 821 tag’s A Class and an Adria Sonic.
I remember now that I used to do it by feel, I have always reversed up the levellers, judge/feel that you are where you want to be and apply the hand brake that would sink the rear end a little as the inner pads took up their slack.
If I had to rely on my wife’s judgement I’d be ready to come home by the time she guessed how high we needed to be ! Ouch !

I have always reversed on as it give a better chance of getting away if the ground is a bit soggy, if it looked dodgy I have tied cords to the front of the levellers and to the mirrors and drag them away with the van rather than try to dodge them with the rear wheels, when on firmer ground retrieve the levellers.

BernieT
It isn't just the lack of a drivers door. The bodywork on A class vans overhangs the wheels by miles - sometimes it's hard to see them from the outside 😁.

Reactions: MaK
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Van speed limit on motorway is 70mph if it is under 7.5T
I was already fact checked by The Ex-Gasman #123

And I acknowledged my brain fart in #131