Payload advice again, please. (1 Viewer)

Sundowner ll

Free Member
Aug 29, 2020
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Payload advice again, please. Does this plate mean 1500kg Payload? Thanks.

50579444112_2e0a9f0b7e_k.jpg

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
No.

Line 1 is gross vehicle weight (max authorised mass)
Line 2 is gross train weight (vehicle plus trailer)
Line 3 is max axle 1 weight
Line 4 is max axle 2 weight

You’ll only know what your available payload is by weighing your vehicle and subtracting that from the weight in Line 1

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
However you SHOULD not exceed the weights on each axle, lines 3 & 4

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Does this plate mean 1500kg Payload
No, the payload is the difference between the MAM (gross weight ) in this case 4000 kg and the MIRO (mass in running order) shown on the Certificate of Conformity.

Also that is the Al-Ko chassis plate there should be a converters plate which is the one you need to go by as the last plate fitted overrides any others.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
No, the payload is the difference between the MAM (gross weight ) in this case 4000 kg and the MIRO (mass in running order) shown on the Certificate of Conformity.

Also that is the Al-Ko chassis plate there should be a converters plate which is the one you need to go by as the last plate fitted overrides any others.

Lenny is basically correct, but I would point out that MIRO, if calculated by the MH manufacturer is based on the EU recommended method, it does include the weight of a driver at 75kg and 90% of the fuel tank capacity, so one does not have to take account of those items in calculating what one can carry.

Even quoted MIRO weights do not include extras fitted such as awnings.

The only real way to calculate payload is to take the MH to a weighbridge empty and weigh it and deduct that weight from the first figure on the latest-dated weight plate on the MH.

Then load it up accordingly and take it back to the weighbridge to check it does not excede the max weight. Any other calculations based on quoted figures may be erroneous and meaningless.

Geoff

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
Easiest thing to do is take your van to a weighbridge, get front & rear axle weights and van overall weight.

Check if they are less than the plated maximums. If less. Then Look at what you need extra that isn't in the van at the time of the weighing (be sensible). Guesstimate what that would add to the weight.

Make sure any passengers and their stuff are included AND IF possible on your way out, stop off at the weighbridge and confirm your still under weight. if ok (y) If not, then decide on what to leave at home. (or look at possible upgrades, licence and van dependant)

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
The MAM will be shown on the V5C if you are not sure which plate applies. If you are still just looking the owner/dealer should have the V5C. Don’t believe claimed payload figures they are often way out because of additional equipment and allowed manufacturing tolerances. The only way to be sure is to get the vehicle weighed and deduct the weight from the registered MAM.

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
MIRO, if calculated by the MH manufacturer is based on the EU recommended method, it does include the weight of a driver at 75kg and 90% of the fuel tank capacity, so one does not have to take account of those items in calculating what one can carry.

It is important to bear in mind that it is not unknown for some drivers to weigh more - sometimes a lot more - than the 75 Kg allowance :whistle2:

In such cases the excess counts as part of the available payload.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
It is important to bear in mind that it is not unknown for some drivers to weigh more - sometimes a lot more - than the 75 Kg allowance :whistle2:

In such cases the excess counts as part of the available payload.
The 5% tolerance on the MIRO can wipe out the weight of the driver and a passenger. Weigh it.

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
The MAM will be shown on the V5C if you are not sure which plate applies. If you are still just looking the owner/dealer should have the V5C. Don’t believe claimed payload figures they are often way out because of additional equipment and allowed manufacturing tolerances. The only way to be sure is to get the vehicle weighed and deduct the weight from the registered MAM.

Ok so we have a van registered between oct 19 & march 20. Therefore it's a car and the V5 has NO weights/mass registered.

The vehicle plates say Gross weight 4,400kg.

Same MH could be on a light chassis at max 3500kg

Who knows what it is when going through ANPR or speed camera or any Police check in UK or Europe?

Any comment/advice on that appreciated

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Ok so we have a van registered between oct 19 & march 20. Therefore it's a car and the V5 has NO weights/mass registered.

Who knows what it is when going through ANPR or speed camera or any Police check in UK or Europe?

i thought there was only no wieght shown on max 3.5 as type puts it as a car

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
I know not BUT my V5 has no weights, rang DVLA post registration and they said no you cant change the registration to PLG, I said there are no weights, they said do you want to add some, I said do you need them if not PLG, they said no, I said bye.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003

I am surprised but presumably the weights are shown on the Certificate of Conformity.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
i thought there was only no wieght shown on max 3.5 as type puts it as a car
I thought cars still had a revenue weight, which is the same as MAM. Weird things seem to have happened in that short period.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back