Using the Habitation Heater Whilst Driving (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
15Degrees

15Degrees

Free Member
Dec 15, 2018
Corby
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos 747-2
Exp
I'm a Newbie
You will need to have the alde control on with the circulation pump on

Do you mean.

1. Valve open on exchange
2. Pump switch on
3. Thermo set to temp
4. Sliding switch to heat only

or

2. Pump switch on

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Do you mean.

2. Pump switch on
3. Thermo set to temp

or

2. Pump switch on
Valve open
Pump on

Heat exchanger works independent of boiler and t/stat controls .......simply circulates water heated by engine heat exchanger.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We've got a small heat exchanger under the drivers seat that blows hot air into the habitation area when on the move. Took me 5 years to find out what that switch on the dash did!

It's very effective.
We had similar fitted as standard on our first van, a Rapido 709f. And yes, it worked well. (y)

Next van had diesel space heating, so that was OK on the move; and now we've got the secumotion regulator, so again no problem with hab heating while travelling. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
You don't need to have the pump on that is in the engine bay to heat the van, that is just to heat the engine from the Alde heater but you do need the circulation pump on that is normally on to heat the van. ( Ours is in the back of the wardrobe) and put the thermostat to a sensible level, ours works incredibly well, if you have a valve near the heat exchanger don't forget to turn it off when weather is warmer, we forgot ours once and couldn't work out why it was so hot in the van!!!!!
It will heat your domestic hot water at the same time.

In our opinion it is a fantastic system!!!!

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Do you mean.

2. Pump switch on
3. Thermo set to temp

or

2. Pump switch on

The former. We have this setup albeit with the later digital controls, it works very well when travelling in the winter, we were advised to leave ours set to elec not gas so that its not using gas as well

I dont think our works the other way around ( to heat the engine coolant) ASFAIK you need an additional device for this.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The former. We have this setup albeit with the later digital controls, it works very well when travelling in the winter, we were advised to leave ours set to elec not gas so that its not using gas as well

I dont think our works the other way around ( to heat the engine coolant) ASFAIK you need an additional device for this.
You just need a pump in the engine bay for this to work Jon, your panel will have a switch marked "Motor" but the question would be if anything is connected at the other end, you can hear ours running(y).

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Valve open
Pump on

Heat exchanger works independent of boiler and t/stat controls .......simply circulates water heated by engine heat exchanger.

It does work with the thermostat as long as you set it correctly.

On the older slider switch panel it is the first position where the pump is controlled by the thermostat this would be "thermo" on a digital panel, the second or top position is the thermostat controlling the boiler and the pump continuous and in this position the pump will just run continuously without any thermal control as the boiler is off, on the digital panel this would be pump "continuous".

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
quote abbreviated,

Unknown.jpg

You need elec and gas OFF and then,

2. Pump switch on first slider position shown by the arrow, this position is heating and hot water,
3. Thermo set to desired temp

Martin

Happy1

Free Member
Jan 30, 2017
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
12 years
No problem driving with heating on or whilst using several petrol stations on current trip to alps, just a case of forgetting to turn off
At least I didn’t fill up with gpl the splash back when nozzle removed might have been a stretch too far☹️

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
On the older slider switch panel it is the first position where the pump is controlled by the thermostat
I mentioned this on another thread and was told the stat controls the boiler (I know it controlled the pump on mine) so being an obedient pussy cat I just repeated what I was told.

You see, if folks don't like what you say and it goes against the general concensus you get shot down so it's easier to roll over and get taken up the ass.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I mentioned this on another thread and was told the stat controls the boiler (I know it controlled the pump on mine) so being an obedient pussy cat I just repeated what I was told.

You see, if folks don't like what you say and it goes against the general concensus you get shot down so it's easier to roll over and get taken up the ass.
It can control both, just not at the same time and of course it cant control the boiler when on heat exchanger so it has to be pump control for that option.

Martin

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
You just need a pump in the engine bay for this to work Jon, your panel will have a switch marked "Motor" but the question would be if anything is connected at the other end, you can hear ours running(y).

Martin
The HYMER pig has the pump but no means of turning it on !
Software problem allegedly !
I really must kick some arse in the New Year :xrofl:

OP
OP
15Degrees

15Degrees

Free Member
Dec 15, 2018
Corby
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos 747-2
Exp
I'm a Newbie
View attachment 272669

You need elec and gas OFF and then,

2. Pump switch on first slider position shown by the arrow, this position is heating and hot water,
3. Thermo set to desired temp

Martin

Hiya Martin

Ah ok. Do I also need the black recirc pump switch on which is next to that panel in mine?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hiya Martin

Ah ok. Do I also need the black recirc pump switch on which is next to that panel in mine?
Maybe a photo of your heating control panel would help, possibly the "recirc pump switch" ifs for engine heating, in which case the answer would be no.

Martin

OP
OP
15Degrees

15Degrees

Free Member
Dec 15, 2018
Corby
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos 747-2
Exp
I'm a Newbie
This is mine. I have noticed that even with 12 volts off I can turn that pump on and also if I put the heating where you suggest it starts up and I can hear it running.

View media item 23402

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
@15Degrees

The Pump switch is not do with the standard ALDE heating controls, might be the engine circulation pump which you could check as you should hear ir running.

For use while driving you just want the right hand slider up one click to heating and water and then set the thermostat to desired temp.

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back