Things you wish you had known...? (1 Viewer)

Le'geom

Free Member
Apr 13, 2018
Leigh-on-Sea
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
:eek:When in tight lanes or streets be prepared to quickly fold the mirrors in. Also worth investing in mirror guards.

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
how easy it is to drop the cassette cap down the drain the first time you empty it. (not me of course:whistle:)

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
we use tea towels multi purpose and no one has ever had enough tea towels
Had 17 when i cleared out, overkill. Have a check list for before set off. Reversing can be dfficult when travelling alone dont have a camera, but just reverse a bit get out and look and adjust as necessary.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Have a speed converter from MPH to Kilometres within eyesight until it come natural whilst driving in Europe so as not exceed the speed limits lol
Got done for speeding on German Autobahn in a silver shadow , carrying the local Burgermeister , sign going into roadworks said 60 so slowed from about 85mph to 60mph , man with lolipop directed me into rastplatze , Doh ! that worked out expensive :)

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
When you pull the release valve on a 260 litre black tank make sure someone has their foot on the discharge end aiming it in the manhole !!!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Also marmite if you like it.
Available in Carrefours in Spain .

:eek:When in tight lanes or streets be prepared to quickly fold the mirrors in. Also worth investing in mirror guards.
But don't do it in front of the Guardia as they will nick you.:LOL:The fact that you couldn't get through the gap as both vehicles parked illegally doesn't count.:LOL:
In addition here to not driving in flip-flops , which appear to be perfectly acceptable riding a motor bike though, it is any backless shoe.
Don't drive shirtless.
Or with an arm hanging out the window.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Do please tell us how you managed to get SWMBO to empty the cassette!
I've never once seen this done by the non-male member of a couple.:)

Drop the cap down the hole when one empties it? Then she says 'I'll do it next time!' then stand back and let it happen - simples.

Personally I am not bothered about doing the job and OH does enough in the MH already, although we share quite well.

Geoff

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Brilliant idea@nicholsong. However, my OHWMBO, would simply say "roll your sleeves up and reach in and get the cap. And be more careful, next time! "

Seriously, we too have a division of who does what and I really don't mind doing the cassette, filling the aquarolls, draining the grey water etc. She does the navigation, the cooking and packing before we set off every time. Oh yes and draws my attention to my driving errors at every stage :whistle:.

125BEER

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 5, 2018
PLYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
BENIMAR MILEO 282
Exp
Since 09 2018
Always come to a clear understanding when reveversing especially when its the wife.

125BEER

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 5, 2018
PLYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
BENIMAR MILEO 282
Exp
Since 09 2018
Remember to unplug your electric lead before driving off site!
Write yourself a short list of the most important things, laminate it and put it behind your sunvisor.
Make sure the aerial is down!....put it on the list.....enjoy.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Any brilliant ideas you wish someone had told you but you only found out the "Hard-Way"?

TIA :)

Yes indeed. A Chateau Mouton Rothschild 1986 really does not travel well in a motorhome. Best left in the cellar at home and settle for a lesser wine.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Take a proper spare tyre with you including the hub
and a 12v tyre pump with a suitable extension !!!! (Never actually gone motorhoming without one (y)).

Dec 28, 2017
North Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class Adria Vision
Exp
Since 2016
To fit a smart solar charge controller that is designed for specific battery types instead of the cheapest Chinese crap I could find on eBay.

Err, go on, what happened to your cheap controller?

Speaking as someone that has just replaced a really good one with a cheap dual battery version.....

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Err, go on, what happened to your cheap controller?

Speaking as someone that has just replaced a really good one with a cheap dual battery version.....
Always have a decent size fire extinguisher handy and know how to use it.....see above ;)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
When pulling out of blind junction where you need your other half to check for traffic from one direction, (particularly when driving in Europe), have clear verbal communication.

“Go” and “No” sound too similar and can lead to disaster as happened to our friends.

“Go” and “Wait” are much clearer.(y)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
"clear left" works well in that situation.
Yes, quite appropriate, but the “Go” and “Wait” also work when trying to decide if it is safe to pull out and see if it safe to overtake.

Any system that improves safety is great.(y)

Rusty Pumper

Free Member
Mar 10, 2017
Funster No
That's if there are two of you. If you're on your own, it's "blind luck" and "Hope for the best".

Binkydefish

Free Member
May 29, 2017
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
Exp
I am a newbie
upload_2018-5-28_10-52-54.png

These are brilliant over winter store in the kitchen cupboard and bathroom. Not too expensive and I am obsessed with any damp but these do a great job.

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
Going to Europe. Just wish i had done it so much earlier

Figure out where you intend to go and do a check for any local regs, on most camp site you’ll also have to pay local council tax, not that much, but they do charge it

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
1 If on EHU (electric hook up) don't forget to unplug.
2 If you have rear stabilisers, don't forget to de-stabilise. Many a ploughed pitch has been dug by this method.
Phil

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
I always carry a shuko plug lead to the euro round socket when travelling in Europe, as there are still sites that still use the shuko plug connectors, we’ve just left a site in Lübeck called Schonbocken that still use the shuko plug, although with shuko plug you can always turn it over in the case of incorrect polarity

Reactions: Pia

Jands

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Funster No
Beer is not just a breakfast drink, it can be enjoyed throughout the Day and even drunk in the evening.
Wine is best served with the cork removed, although leaving it in makes the bottle last longer.

Phantomphixer

Free Member
Jul 6, 2018
Funster No
When pulling out of blind junction where you need your other half to check for traffic from one direction, (particularly when driving in Europe), have clear verbal communication.

“Go” and “No” sound too similar and can lead to disaster as happened to our friends.

I have found if the "WAIT" command fails, the following command should be used "EJECT, EJECT, EJECT"

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s

The driver needs information not orders. "Clear left", "Clear if you go now", "Traffic coming" are better than "Go" and "Wait", unless the passenger is an experienced driver of a similar-sized vehicle.

At angled junctions, try to pull the MH so it's at 90 degrees to the cross road, to give a better view. Not always possible, but it helps when it is.

Reactions: GPW
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
The driver needs information not orders. "Clear left", "Clear if you go now", "Traffic coming" are better than "Go" and "Wait", unless the passenger is an experienced driver of a similar-sized vehicle.

At angled junctions, try to pull the MH so it's at 90 degrees to the cross road, to give a better view. Not always possible, but it helps when it is.
I would agree if travelling with someone you don’t know well enough to trust.

After 49 years of marriage and travelling together we trust each other enough not to say “clearl” unless we are absolutely certain. We don’t actually use “go” and “wait”, but “clear” and “wait” , my comment was simply to highlight the confusion that can occur between “go” and “no”.

In any case it is better than travelling with a colleague I had many years ago. At a T junction he would say “clear left” then, just after I started to move he would add “after the artic”!

Never failed.

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014

I do the 90° degrees now in the car as I find it’s easier. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back