Free Member
Jun 29, 2017
shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Celtic Rambler 5th Wheel
Exp
2 years
We are planning a trip to France for 2 months starting the first week in January. We will either travel on the Euro tunnel starting our French trip in Calais, or ferry to Caen or Le Havre. Our aim is to at least go down as far as Poitiers to visit my sister who has just bought a property there. But would also like to explore as much of the country as we can in that space of time.
Any advice as to preferable mode of channel crossing and any sites which will still be open and can accommodate our Fifth Wheeler, a Celtic Rambler length 8.5 metres, would be greatly appreciated.

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now šŸ˜¢
Exp
Les Acacias is open at Tours and a good location /base for the Loire, the site is fairly basic but ok. The staff are friendly and helpful, there is road noise morning and evening. Tours is interesting and the nearby bus is cheap.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Jan and Feb in France can be as bad or worse than UK....
Most sites closed so research carefully.. Aires open but you may need to locate the bigger ones if its for a 5th wheel.
As said water more than likely will be turned off.

Not for me thanks... Brr..

ps.. I have a sister named Colleen... Dont come across many.. (y)

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Parc verger in the Limousin is open all year and can definitely cope with your van.

We have not been in January but i suspect it will be cold and wet at that time of year in most places in France.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I would be exploring as far south as you can as it can be quite cold at night with really hard frosts.

Feb 26, 2013
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise stargazer
Exp
since 2013
We went to Isle de Re last February on the way to Spain and there were sites open. We were lucky with the weather and had bright and sunny days although very chilly in the mornings and from late afternoon. La Rouletta near St Jean de Luz is open all year and that's a nice area to explore. Enjoy.

Nov 26, 2014
Never on the wrong road ......
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2014, before that 20 years of boating & caravanning
We went in January 2015 - it was very cold - probably colder than the UK. Water was not easy to get as a lot of the aires had turned theirs off, and in some cases the water was frozen. The water in the motorhome froze & we had to run the generator to run the hairdryer to warm up the water tank so we had running water! We ended up moving to the South for the better weather but as we got there the Mistral arrived! We found quite a lot of campsites closed & the ones that were open had minimal facilities operating. We wouldn't do France again in the winter months.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
If you have 2 Months I would recommend getting down to the Alicante area, could probably do it in 3 days from Calais.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Just a thought, are fifth-wheelers allowed to use French aires? No offence intended, but they're more like caravans than motorhomes surely?

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
We live S and E of Poitiers, the former ought to make our weather warmer but the latter makes us much nearer the centre of France so probably colder/wetter.

In January we are off to Portugal for 3 months - make of that what you will.

Deleted User
Just a thought, are fifth-wheelers allowed to use French aires? No offence intended, but they're more like caravans than motorhomes surely?

I have used them, if i can get on I used them, mostly out of season and would never drop the trailer, seen caravans in some aires allowed or not.

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Thanks Funster. Whereabouts in Portugal you off to and what route are you taking?

Auch
Hasparren (France Passion farm) hoping sea air banishes any thoughts of snow
Burgos
Salamanca
Caceres
Obidos (N of Lisbon) - cheap if you stay for a month +
Zambujeira
Cabanas, Tavira - again cheap for a month + but may be full - our ultimate destination
Caceres and home

My wife is paranoid about aires particularly since we met a couple earlier this year who had been burgled and had 2 x Monets, a Renoir, Rolexes and 500kg of Columbian marching powder stolen (there may have been an I-phone as well)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Auch
Hasparren (France Passion farm) hoping sea air banishes any thoughts of snow
Burgos
Salamanca
Caceres
Obidos (N of Lisbon) - cheap if you stay for a month +
Zambujeira
Cabanas, Tavira - again cheap for a month + but may be full - our ultimate destination
Caceres and home

My wife is paranoid about aires particularly since we met a couple earlier this year who had been burgled and had 2 x Monets, a Renoir, Rolexes and 500kg of Columbian marching powder stolen (there may have been an I-phone as well)
We met them, but I was sure they had Ā£2000 in cash taken too!

We have toured France in Jan Feb and March and as long as you carry as much water as you can and use it sparingly, there are plenty of places to overnight. I am sure a fifth wheeler will be ok at larger aires and you should have no trouble parking. Most campsites will be shut though.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back