LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Just had a look at 2015 model and it states 2 x 13, so for Gaslow would be 2 x 11Kg

Aug 13, 2017
Funster No
In passing can someone tell me about the economics / practicalities of having a refillable system as opposed to the normal twin bottle set up please? We are thinking of some longterm euro travelling next year !

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
In passing can someone tell me about the economics / practicalities of having a refillable system as opposed to the normal twin bottle set up please? We are thinking of some longterm euro travelling next year !

It costs much less to refill plus you don't have the hassle to find a stockist. Different types of cylinders are used abroad too.

If you decide on refillable some garages abroad will lend you the filler adapter required but you can pick up your own for around £12 each.

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
This is just a observation but I have 294 and two 6kgs Calor bottles are tight fit so not so sure you can get two 11 kg bottles in the door is very narrow but like I said it's just a observation not tried anything bigger than the 6 kg bottles.would be interested to hear if you manage it (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2017
Funster No
It costs much less to refill plus you don't have the hassle to find a stockist. Different types of cylinders are used abroad too.

If you decide on refillable some garages abroad will lend you the filler adapter required but you can pick up your own for around £12 each.

Thanks for the reply Irnbru ! Further questions....whats a ball park cost of a refill for an 11kg bottle and what / where are the availability of the refill stations please ?

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I think our local Mirrisons is 51.9 p per litre.

There's a few apps around online that will tell you where you can refill.

Mylpg is one of them. Some garages can be funny about filling from inside s locker door so best to put filler cap on outside. Ours is on the skirt which has been beefed up behind it.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
With long term Euro touring the only really practical answer is self refillables. There is no universal bottle available everywhere in Europe except camping gaz which is very expensive and butane which is no good when the weather gets cool.

Autogas available everywhere in Europe, all you need is a set of the 4 different filling adaptors that are used.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Our 6kilo bottle takes 12 litres of gas so I assume that the larger 11kilo bottles would take double the amount in litres. Just assuming mind.
The bottles advertised have a size listed , if you measure your gas opening you should be able to tell.
The convenience of be able to just fill instead of just exchange does it for us that why we changed to gaslow.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
It's not about economy it's about convenience, easy to get gas anywhere no putting your back out lifting heavy bottles. If economy does come into it for you, if you are a heavy user you can recoup the cost in 2 - 3 years also you can have the bottles transfered to the next van. If tight on payload you can save over 10kg by fitting Alugas which are also avalible in 14kg same diameter about 90 mm taller.

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
We've booked into Dave Newell on Tuesday to have 2 x 11kg lightweight refillable bottles fitted. The convenience of filling up from petrol stations rather than looking for suppliers is much better and the cost is considerably different. In Belgium we got lpg as low as 29p per litre but locally we pay 48.3 at the moment.

Aug 13, 2017
Funster No
Thanks for all the replies guys! It certainly looks like the way to go....now what are the most economical routes?

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Thanks for all the replies guys! It certainly looks like the way to go....now what are the most economical routes?
Depending whether you are practical or not. Self fitting is the cheapest.
I appreciate what @irnbru says about outside filling but I decided against because I wanted to maintain the integrity of the Moho and went for inside filler. Never had a problem in UK, France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Italy.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I was given a piece of information when I took mine for its first fill. Rather than a garage, which will charge vat as motor fuel, I went to a gas supplier (that deliver gas to domestic users etc.) They were very helpful in showing me how to do it, and the chap told me that as it was for heating and cooking purposes I would not pay vehicle rated vat. Bonus. (y)

Wyn

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I was given a piece of information when I took mine for its first fill. Rather than a garage, which will charge vat as motor fuel, I went to a gas supplier (that deliver gas to domestic users etc.) They were very helpful in showing me how to do it, and the chap told me that as it was for heating and cooking purposes I would not pay vehicle rated vat. Bonus. (y)

Wyn
So how much was the gas at the supplier?

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
If I remember right that was for 12 litres. It was a 6kg bottle. Any help or am I just making it more confusing?

Wyn
Well as you said it was cheaper at a supplier, I thought it might be cheaper than my current one (not worth travelling) but interested in what you paid. Assuming it was completely empty, it works out at 0.49 a litre.
My place is 0.435 a litre and that is filling taxi's mainly.

Aug 13, 2017
Funster No
Are Gaslow the brand leaders? What other reputable brands are there that should be considered please?

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Well as you said it was cheaper at a supplier, I thought it might be cheaper than my current one (not worth travelling) but interested in what you paid. Assuming it was completely empty, it works out at 0.49 a litre.
My place is 0.435 a litre and that is filling taxi's mainly.
Yes, brand new bottle. Empty. After using the pump I was told to go and tell the girl in the office how much I'd had. I said, "I could tell her anything then". The reply was "yes, but we trust our customers" o_O

Wyn

Aug 13, 2017
Funster No
Another couple of questions......! Is there a benefit in having an underfloor tank fitted, anyone done this and if so why ? Also whats the best position for a remote filler as a rule?

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
There's Funsters that have but I just replaced my calor type cylinders with Gaslow. When going away for 2 weeks had to make sure had 2 full cylinders before we left. Cost around £50.00 +. On last holiday for 6 weeks, filled up in Switzerland (more expensive) at around £12.00 and not filled up since and cid music festival then IOW for 10days,

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
The other advantage of refillable tanks/cylinders is that you can just top them up when convenient.
Whenever we drive home from Folkestone we drop in to Morrisons at Ipswich and refill the Gaslow cylinders so that we are full and ready for the next trip.
If you use Calor you either waste a lot of gas by replacing early or go off abroad with a half empty cylinder.

Richard.

Aug 13, 2017
Funster No
Many thanks for all the useful replies! Have had a quote of 450 approx for a 40ltr tank which I think I can get down to under 400 if I don't use the over priced fixing brackets and make my own! A job for spring me thinks!
Once again many thanks to all!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back