LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I'm hoping to borrow a 6-yr-old PVC for a couple of months or so, for use only in UK. My usual insurer will only insure an owner, not a registered keeper. We could transfer ownership but I'm not inclined to do that.

Some companies will insure on registered keeper - I'm doing some ringing around, but does anybody have any suggestions as to who will?

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Good thought, but apparently not - don't know why (or perhaps they just don't want to) - but maybe because I'll be the only driver for that period? but anyway, they say they can't.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Hm, perhaps not Alistair. But my usual insurers do ask the question on the application and I'd rather not take the risk of telling even the whitest of porkies. I have to state at this point, that I'm one of those people that if I put half a hair out of line I get in sooooo much trouble... so I want to do it all completely open and above board.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Good thought, but apparently not - don't know why (or perhaps they just don't want to) - but maybe because I'll be the only driver for that period? but anyway, they say they can't.
When I wanted to name my son on my insurance when he and his wife were taking my m/h on a 3 month European career break (without me) I had to state who would be the 'main driver'. I named him and the insurers declined cover since a named driver is deemed to be only an occasional user of the vehicle.
In the end I 'sold' it to him (and his insurance premium was pretty high, plus the 'admin charges for cancelling his insurance upon return) but he couldn't start the trip for a couple of weeks until the updated V5c had been returned by the DVLA. We also lost out on the RFL refund as only whole months are refunded. But Hey! No pockets in shrouds........

Last edited:
OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Thanks all, I have a resolution to my problem. I appreciate your help.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
All the insurance forms that I have filled in seem to ask if you are the Registered Keeper with ownership not being mentioned.

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
All the insurance forms that I have filled in seem to ask if you are the Registered Keeper with ownership not being mentioned.
Every company I spoke to said you had to be both!
Left hand / right hand springs to mind .....
It's all about "insurable interest" apparently.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I am named driver on my sister's vehicle and frequently use it, especially when she is out of the country. Its never been an issue, especially as she works for a big name insurance company

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
It must be doable, my wife owns a car that is insured by our granddaughter who is the registered keeper, she had the same arrangement with our daughter until a few months ago as well.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I am named driver on my sister's vehicle and frequently use it, especially when she is out of the country. Its never been an issue, especially as she works for a big name insurance company

:cautious:The only way one will discover any potential issues is when one has to make a claim.

However, in your case I suspect your sister may get special treatment as a staff member of the insurer. My son (Head of Marine Underwriting for a global insurer) gets special treatment (;)) from the 'Motor' division when insuring one of his vehicles for his Australian F in Law to drive when he visits the U.K.

Last edited:

roamingman

Banned
Mar 14, 2014
Angus
Funster No
MH
Coach build
Exp
2012, tents, caravan. 1990
If you look at the v5 it states that you are not the owner, only the person responsible for taxing and insuraning +MOTing the vehicle.
The actual owner of all vehicles is the Government, so ask them to insure it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back