Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
Could anyone tell me how many MH items I could run whilst on EHU without overloading the system?

If the hookup output was 16 Amp would I be alright on these very cold nights to have the Trumatic heater on with hot water mode, internal lights (about 12 Led lights) and Tv on without using too much power and tripping the system?

The fridge/freezer will obviously be on, we may also want to use the electric oven and possibly the shower.

Are the relatively essential items I've mentioned above likely to trip the leccy or would I have ample spare capacity?

Some EHU points have only 10Amps – would they trip the lower amperage or would my usage still be ok?

As a relative newcomer, we hired in previous years but now have our own MH, I'd just like to get some feedback from you more experienced Funsters.

:france::france::france:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Could anyone tell me how many MH items I could run whilst on EHU without overloading the system?

If the hookup output was 16 Amp would I be alright on these very cold nights to have the Trumatic heater on with hot water mode, internal lights (about 12 Led lights) and Tv on without using too much power and tripping the system?

The fridge/freezer will obviously be on, we may also want to use the electric oven and possibly the shower.

Are the relatively essential items I've mentioned above likely to trip the leccy or would I have ample spare capacity?

Some EHU points have only 10Amps – would they trip the lower amperage or would my usage still be ok?

As a relative newcomer, we hired in previous years but now have our own MH, I'd just like to get some feedback from you more experienced Funsters.

:france::france::france:

It depends on the wattage of those items. :Smile:

I don't know the wattage of your Trumatic elements but my Truma Combi is max 1.8kW. I run that 24/7 on 16A hook-up with fridge/freezer, LED lights, 65W computer (no TV) and 1kW kettle or toaster (not both together) with no problems. Shower will only need water pump extra and that's 12v. Electric oven could well cause a problem with overload tho' - what wattage is it?

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Watts = Volts x Amps

So you can run up to 230 x 16 = 3,680 watts (3.68 kilowatts).

Add up the wattage of the items you wish to use concurrently and make sure you do not exceed the limit above.

For a 10 amp supply the answer is 230 x 10 = 2,300 watts.

Don't forget to include the wattage of the charger, but assume that you can ignore 12V items running directly from the battery(ies) - e.g. LED lights and possibly the TV (unless it is plugged into a 230V socket).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
A very useful investment is a mains power monitor.. as sold by most DIY stores..

I had an Owl .. and it shows what power you are using.. it can also be set to alarm at a pre set figure .. so you not only know what you are using but get an alarm before the MCB trips.. I had mine set at 3.5kw when on a 16A EHU

Simple to install.. not wiring required.. battery operated, the transmitter clips over either the brown or blue incoming supply wire in your Dis Box.

about £30.. depending on where you buy

http://www.johnlewis.com/owl-tse009-001-micro-electricity-monitor/p231593710?s_pccid=pc_gs__&kpid=231593710

Last edited:

G8WVW

Free Member
Jan 15, 2013
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 on/off
... times 0.9 to allow for power factor.

16A max 3.3kW
10A max 2kW

As mentioned, domestic type power monitor as supplied by Electric companies brilliant for keeping eye on usage. Clip the sensor around the brown wire from your hook-up socket :)

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
16 amp

hi, some campsites only have 6 amp !
it maybe a case of switching items off to allow something else to work.
your fridge will just switch in and out when it needs to.
it may be a case of earnings you go along.

we also camp just using leisure batteries and no hook up.
and then it will probably just be what you really need.
good luck:)

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
... times 0.9 to allow for power factor.

16A max 3.3kW
10A max 2kW

As mentioned, domestic type power monitor as supplied by Electric companies brilliant for keeping eye on usage. Clip the sensor around the brown wire from your hook-up socket :)

power factor would only come into the calculation if the load was inductive ..

as most of the load in a motorhome will be resistive.. ie heating.. the current and voltage will change polarity in step, this does not affect power factor..

the sensor for the power monitor can be clipped around either blue or brown ..(but not both) makes no difference..

G8WVW

Free Member
Jan 15, 2013
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 on/off

... was trying to be general to an audience many of whom will not understand non-resistive/reactive loads. If just thinking of heating pf~ 1.0 however microwave ovens, vacuum cleaners and many other smaller appliances are reactive. 0.9 allows for any load within reason for normal users who cannot ascertain whether their load is purely resistive or not.

Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
... was trying to be general to an audience many of whom will not understand non-resistive/reactive loads. If just thinking of heating pf~ 1.0 however microwave ovens, vacuum cleaners and many other smaller appliances are reactive. 0.9 allows for any load within reason for normal users who cannot ascertain whether their load is purely resistive or not.

as most of the load in a motorhome will be resistive.. ie heating.. the current and voltage will change polarity in step, this does not affect power factor..

the sensor for the power monitor can be clipped around either blue or brown ..(but not both) makes no difference..

:Eeek::cry:

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Most domestic electricity supplies are reliant on what is known as 'diversity factor' which assumes you are unlikely to have all your heavily rated appliances on continuously and at the same time. Thus the chances of overloading the fuse rating is lessened. However, people can achieve overload situations due largely to having heaters, kettles and other high wattage appliances on together. The trick is to turn the heating down or off before you put the kettle on. Simples:thumb:

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
You can take as many kilowatts as you like - hundreds of them if you wish - what you cannot do is plug in and switch on too many of them. You must get use to unplugging/switching off those that are not needed at that time.

Another point to consider is that the sockets in the MH are individully "fused", often at only 10 amps. This means that you can only have about 2.2 kw plugged in even if no other electricity is being used and 16A is available at the other end of the EHU lead.

Last edited:

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
This sort of question was one of the reasons we went for 16A ehus throughout the site. Most of our guests have motorhomes or RVs, and these days require better than 6A or even 10A, especially during the winter when heating is necessary, or summer with air conditioning becoming more usual. Even caravanners can use plenty of power with heaters in awnings that are part of their living space even in winter
Bob
www.parcverger.com

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
This sort of question was one of the reasons we went for 16A ehus throughout the site. Most of our guests have motorhomes or RVs, and these days require better than 6A or even 10A, especially during the winter when heating is necessary, or summer with air conditioning becoming more usual. Even caravanners can use plenty of power with heaters in awnings that are part of their living space even in winter
Bob
www.parcverger.com

Thats a nice looking place you have, we have added that to our list to visit this year.

John

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back