External insulated screen covers (1 Viewer)

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
External are better & greatly recuce A class condensation but not easy to find for the Rapido.
A friend has a 2004 & bought some for a Hymer which were easily modified to fit.

OP
OP
B

Brianandbarbara

Free Member
Jan 20, 2013
North Devon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2008
External are better & greatly recuce A class condensation but not easy to find for the Rapido.
A friend has a 2004 & bought some for a Hymer which were easily modified to fit.

Thanks for the advice,will look into it,seems strange with the amount of rapidos
Out there now someone is missing an opportunity.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
External screens are a 'must have' in my view - particularly for an A-class. We got ours from Silver Screens (for a Hymer) but give them a call.
http://www.silverscreens.co.uk/

Alternatively, many people have Taylormade screens so google them too perhaps.

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Externals work much better at reducing condensation but should never be used if you are wild camping or in an aire - if you need to get out in a hurry you won't be able to get your screen off. In that case internals are much safer, but not as effective.

There are other manufacturers but these are the people we have used in the past.

http://www.silverscreens.co.uk/

http://www.taylormade-covers.co.uk/

John

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
I have just bought an external screen for my A class from http://www.vancomfort.co.uk/. They were the only people I could find that make them for A class vehicles. Both Taylormade and silver screens told me they no longer make them.

John

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
external screens are generally padded and retain heat in the van

internals are reflective to reflect the suns rays keeping the van cool and have little thermal insulation quality

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Silverscreens - why the rush?

"Externals work much better at reducing condensation but should never be used if you are wild camping or in an aire - if you need to get out in a hurry you won't be able to get your screen off."

Hi JayDee,
Under what circumstances would you need to get your external screen off in a hurry - bears? wolves? inbreds playing banjos?
Made me a little bit scared about Aires now.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
We bought an external screen for our Rapido A class from Silverscreens in Cleckheaton. They came down to us and measured up as the one from stock didn't quite fit. Screen fits like a glove and its a essential piece of kit, especially if you use your van in winter.

We bought our current external screen for our Concorde from Van Comfort. The windscreen on the Concorde is massive and the insulated screen takes a bit of putting on - step ladders required. As before wouldn't be without it.

Last edited:

dewaltman

Free Member
May 19, 2008
south wales
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years , tugging for 27 years
I have a rapido 997m and bought my external covers from silver screens about 3 years ago very easy to fit excellent product worth giving them a ring

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Whilst I would still try Silverscreens first, here is another possibility - I know nothing about the company or its product, but it looks pretty good.

http://www.minsterproducts.co.uk/polar.htm

Regarding the use of external screens, don't forget that they can be very useful in the summer when they will keep the inside cool. If the outside temperature gets up around 30ºC or more, life can be unbearable without them.
So far as security is concerned, whilst it is good advice to be wary if wild camping, I would not go so far as to say never use them. It should depend on your own assessment of the risk of likely interference and the possibility of needing to beat a hasty retreat. We have certainly used external screens on aires in winter and even on a car park in St Omer one New Year's Eve. If we thought that there was a risk of needing to get away, we probably wouldn't use that particular location in the first place.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Whilst I would still try Silverscreens first, here is another possibility - I know nothing about the company or its product, but it looks pretty good.

http://www.minsterproducts.co.uk/polar.htm

Regarding the use of external screens, don't forget that they can be very useful in the summer when they will keep the inside cool. If the outside temperature gets up around 30ºC or more, life can be unbearable without them.
So far as security is concerned, whilst it is good advice to be wary if wild camping, I would not go so far as to say never use them. It should depend on your own assessment of the risk of likely interference and the possibility of needing to beat a hasty retreat. We have certainly used external screens on aires in winter and even on a car park in St Omer one New Year's Eve. If we thought that there was a risk of needing to get away, we probably wouldn't use that particular location in the first place.

This is the company who make stuff for Van Comfort :thumb:

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
"Externals work much better at reducing condensation but should never be used if you are wild camping or in an aire - if you need to get out in a hurry you won't be able to get your screen off."

Hi JayDee,
Under what circumstances would you need to get your external screen off in a hurry - bears? wolves? inbreds playing banjos?
Made me a little bit scared about Aires now.

Hmm, interesting picture that makes. I know there are a few ulelele players in Fun but I wouldn't say they were inbreds. :winky::roflmto:

Seriously though:
The Aires that I was thinking about are those that are off the motorways and major trunk routes. There have been reported instances of motorhomes being targetted by local 'yoofs', and the best way to avoid damage to your pride and joy is to be able to get the hell out. If you have an external screen on you wouldn't be able to; and if you had ramps, tables and chairs left out you would have to jettison them. Many people have stayed on these aires without problems, but, as I said earlier, there have been reports of trouble so best not to take the chance or if unavaoidable, be prepared to do a runner. Wild camping in some of the less frequented parts of a town could also be risky for similar reasons, but some do it anyway.

The Aires that we all know and love are fine and rarely have reports of hooliganism, etc. so there's no need to be overly concerned there (though how vulnerable you want to make yourself when staying on a car park with no security is, of course, your decision).

I'm sorry that I worried you with my first post.:Blush: It wasn't my intention; more of a heads-up about something you may not have thought about. :Cool:
Enjoy your MH and go where your mood takes you; just exercise a bit of care about where you go and what you do.:thumb:

John

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Externals work much better at reducing condensation but should never be used if you are wild camping or in an aire - if you need to get out in a hurry you won't be able to get your screen off. In that case internals are much safer, but not as effective.

John

Total bosh!!

Its quite easy to use external screens internally.
Just slip the door triangular bits on from the inside and push the front up to the screen using the sun visors to keep the screen in place.
Not pretty but perfectly do-able.

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Total bosh!!

Just slip the door triangular bits on from the inside and push the front up to the screen using the sun visors to keep the screen in place.

So why is what I said "Total Bosh!!". :Angry:

You've said it in your post - "Its quite easy to use external screens internally."

My warning was, as I am sure most people understood, against using screens externally - if you read further you would see I also mentioned furniture and ramps.

Still, you're free to interpret anything however you wish. But to call my post total bosh is a little intemperate, don't you think? :Sad:

John

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Total bosh!!

If you don't agree, is quite easy to say so without being so rude and aggressive about it :Smile:

In regards to safety? It's as Jean Luc says really, you know where you've parked, you can assess as appropriate.

If you are stuck for deciding on external or internal, I would get a set of external's made up. They wil be far more use that internal's as can be used both winter and summer. Although you can use internal's in winter, they won't be as effective in a sub zero climate. Some people do actually make there own by the way. If your'e that way inclined. :thumb:

Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
Snip..... Some people do actually make there own by the way. If your'e that way inclined. :thumb:

Haggers, what, where, how? I'm inclined!

I would be keen to make my own (I can run up a seam without too much trouble! ) but what fabric do you use, where do you get it from, and what is the best way to 'fix' it on the van? Bet you didn't expect so many questions from that remark now did you! :winky:

GIBLA53

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
since 2002
In winter we used to use both internal and external screens - anything to help to keep warm !!!!!!

Alan

previous posters gave a reasonable assessment of the merits of each , btw. i would only use the internal one if "on the move" and wanted a quick early getaway the next day however the screen could be heavily misted up.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Haggers, what, where, how? I'm inclined!

I would be keen to make my own (I can run up a seam without too much trouble! ) but what fabric do you use, where do you get it from, and what is the best way to 'fix' it on the van? Bet you didn't expect so many questions from that remark now did you! :winky:

Materials can be purchased from Ebay etc. If you have a google there will be other suppliers too. Ive not made my own, but you can make them in much the same way as the ones you buy. Industrial strength velcro for attaching doors to window sections seems to be the order of the day.

Next time you see a van with some, have a look, learn, and then do them. it's not difficult if your ok with a sewing machine. Although the material is generally quite thick.

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
We bought external Silver Screens and used them for 3 years fulltiming. We did end up in a few odd spots not always of our choosing and in that circumstance fitted the external screens inside.
To use inside we sewed tape on a few places and tied them to the sun visors and at the rear of the side windows I attched a P clip or two to hold them at the back.

Sorry, but you never know 100% if a stop is good or bad, and if in doubt we always wanted the ability to drive away without going outside.

Last, have to say that we never had to drive off in a hurry, but there were a couple of times we were happy we at least had the option and we do/did use motorway aires quite a lot.

philk

Free Member
Jul 21, 2011
Lancs
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
external blinds

External blinds do not stop condensation, they simply stop your screen from being the coldest thing in the van so the moister goes somewhere else. Our last two Hymers and present Pilote A Class all have rear bedrooms, vented properly we have never steamed up.

OP
OP
B

Brianandbarbara

Free Member
Jan 20, 2013
North Devon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2008
:Smile:Thanks everyone, great advice, have contacted a couple of recomended suppiers and waiting for prices,Jaydee and Spacerunner, sorry didn't want to start trouble,i think you might need to meet up and buy each other a beer (any excuse is a good one) Happy m/homeing.

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
:Smile:Thanks everyone, great advice, have contacted a couple of recomended suppiers and waiting for prices,Jaydee and Spacerunner, sorry didn't want to start trouble,i think you might need to meet up and buy each other a beer (any excuse is a good one) Happy m/homeing.

:Smile:
Not your fault. No need to be sorry. You received some good advice here.::bigsmile:

John

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Here, have a laugh: when we had Alice, our old MB608, we used double layer of bubble-wrap, carefully trimmed, tailored and edged with gaffer-tape. Used small velcro strips to attach it to the screen and side doors. It kept us condensation-free and cosy over two separate winters on the side of a hill in Wales, in snow, once down to -22.
The cover was ultralight, easy to position, let daylight through, and to remove quickly if necessary a tape attached to one end and through the opposite side window just needed a tug and the whole caboodle could be pulled inside just by opening the window a few inches.
When wet a quick shake got rid of most of the water or snow, then rolled up and chucked in the bathroom -
This cover is still being used by the new owner 5 years later. It's had one patch on it where he caught it on a wiper blade once.

Cost? Next to nothing as we had a 100m roll of bubble-wrap off ebay for about a tenner and a roll of pound-shop tape. Still got loads of the b-wrap left despite two of our sons using it to insulate the windows in winter in two static caravans... :thumb:::bigsmile:

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
I thought I'd dig this back up again...

I want a screen cover for my 2013 ducato that also covers the vents.

I had a silverscreen version for my 2004 ducato but disliked it quite a lot - it seemed to leave milky white marks from condensation or rain.

I also want one that fits better than this!

Broken Link Removed

or this...

Link Removed

Any suggestions please?

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Hey David, What about this one...

Link Removed

Honestly I'd been looking for weeks and then tripped over this!

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Wait! David I've found it . for under £80!!!

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Hey David, What about this one...

Link Removed

Honestly I'd been looking for weeks and then tripped over this!

Is it insulated tho'? Looks kind of thin and blurb only mentions blocking out the sun; no mention of padding.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I want a screen cover for my 2013 ducato that also covers the vents.

Covering the vents makes no difference to any draughts you might be getting in the cab. Make sure the heater is switched to 'recirculate' before parking up - that makes a big difference. I use a standard SilverScreen on my 2010 Ducato cab and it's a lovely snug fit. I only cover the vents when there's snow - and I just use magnetic vinyl cut to size which is cheap, easy and works a treat. :Smile:

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Covering the vents makes no difference to any draughts you might be getting in the cab.

One mans meat is another mans poison.
Covering the vents on our Fiat Auto-Trail makes a big difference with our Taylormade external cover.
Must say, I never thought of switching to recirculate though.
I'll have to go outside now and give it a try :thumb:.
Thanks for that tip ::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back