Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
so do the sums, wifes weight plus stuff you need/want to carry etc and minus it from the payload. You will have enough or not.
to be honest motorhomes dont allow for payload when they do them
With my outfit i have some 800kg spare after including everything and that means us, the dogs and all the relevent kit.Put it on a weighbridge the other week in a ready to roll status

Not knowing your licence classification but if you can go higher than 3500, if there was a payload upgrade (re-plate) available i would say do it, If it was the van you wanted.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
And the string is how long :)

I'd be happy with 450kg if it was when van is equipped for touring, packed for a 2mth trip, fuel tank full, fresh water tank full, max gas loaded and all occupants on board. ::bigsmile:
We recently looked at a few new van specs and found it a bit worrying the allowance they use to calculate payload.
Oh-and the bikes

Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hard question to answer . go abroad chuck in 100 litres of wine ,a few crates of beer some spirits . some more clothes and a few presents . its all used up so quick.
i have for years thought m,homes shouldnt be built on anything with less than 5ton gvw .
anything less is just a camper .
i know after weighing my vw we were very often way over weight . years ago never thought so much about it .
these days its common for m,homes etc to get weighed on portable weigh mats .i think twice about it .
just be careful how much you put in .

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The payload on the 2 berth MH I'm going to buy is 480 kg - is that a reasonable amount or not?

Yes and no, is the payload

a) the 'quoted' one?
b) the 'actual one' - ie has the van been actually weighed?

There are 2 groups of weight you need to know:

1) the total of anything that has been fitted to it that wasn't part of the standard 'kit' when it was first manufactured, such as awning, bike rack, solar panel, aerial, air con unit etc.

2) The weight of your wife, all your kit, pots, pans, bedding, clothes, bikes, sports stuff, dogs/pets, food, basically anything you intend to put in it.

Once you've done this you can then work out if the payload is sufficient for your needs - don't forget to include what you will be purchasing whilst away too .... :thumb:

Our van has a 514kg payload for the two of us, plus three dogs and all our stuff (we have 2 quality inflatable canoes and all the kit which weigh at least 70kg alone!) and will come in at around 30kg under so for us its fine and for most people it would be more than sufficient.

Upvote 0

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
We had about 460kg of payload when we bought our van and thought that it would be adequate. When we had loaded up we found we were about 5 kg short of the gross and the wife wasn't in it. :Eeek:
So we went back home and worked out a way that she would be able to come - after all she's one of the main navigation systems and the tea and sandwich maker when we're on the road; i.e. essential equipment:roflmto:.
One year we went on holiday with some friends and as we had the smaller van we did the driving around visiting the local sites. It was only when we got back home we realised that we would have been seriously over the plated gross weight. This would, of course, have been the case if we had taken any of the family with us at any time.
The upshot was that we got the van up-plated to 3850kg, thus giving us an extra 350kg of payload.:thumb:
Since then we've added a few bits and pieces, so we'll need to check again.:Doh:

John

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
My opinion is that no matter what hoops they try and jump through on the sales blurb the only true way to find out is to prep it ready to go with a full tank of fuel - hab batteries - full gas bottles etc and all the normal things you would consider as basic fittings and accessories possibly the TV - etc - excluding anything personal then go down the weighbridge with the wife and any other passengers ( dog, cat, budgie, etc :ROFLMAO:) - once you have that weight then you can look at the gross vehicle weight and one from the other is what you can put in in the way of clothes and personal bits.

It is so easy to get any vehicle over weight

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back