Hit by Tourist Tax (1 Viewer)

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
Now on Campsite just below Barcelona, got charged 3.25 Euro's Tourist Tax , first time in 6 weeks here , goodness me thie Government is going to take in millions mind you even Wales is thinking about it or may have introduced it since I have been away,other countries are doing it. One consolation the Spanish pay it as they move out of their home area

Last edited:
OP
OP
T
May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
Welcome to Catalunya!
We love paying taxes, we even do it twice for the same thing :love:
So I understand met English bloke on site who said he paid tax on buying house then when he sold it he paid tax again as Capital tax, he questioned this as he said property had not gone up in value when he sold it , they said yes but the land value has ,so that's why he got taxed !!??

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
Now on Campsite just below Barcelona, got charged 3.25 Euro's Tourist Tax , first time in 6 weeks here , goodness me thie Government is going to take in millions mind you even Wales is thinking about it or may have introduced it since I have been away,other countries are doing it. One consolation the Spanish pay it as they move out of their home area
Wales is going to introduce a 'tourist tax' in 2027. There's no way I'm paying a tax to sleep in my own van in my own country. The tax will be on anyone sleeping overnight in a tent, van, caravan, b&b, guest house or hotel. Where will the money go, how will tourists benefit? They're doing their best to destroy the Welsh economy of which tourism is a major part. :mad:

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
Living in the Highlands (NC500) I'm amazed at the number of people (especially on those NC500 facebook pages) who say if a £2 tourist tax comes in they won't come to Scotland ever again.
My usual response is....if you are prepared to spend £100+ on diesel to get upto the Highlands for say 2 weeks, then what's another £30 ?

I've been all over the world and tourist tax is pretty much normal, but it's not always obvious that you are paying it.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Really?
Spain in general, or just Catalonia?
We don't Charge Tourist Tax on our Rental Villa. But thats probably because the Valencian Authorities have not introduced it as of yet.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We have paid Tourist tax for as long as I can remember, probably as far back as 1980

Many don't want you. Just Like Scotland and Wales. You Just cant win

Tourist tax, 20mph speed limits, increased parking charges, threat of increasing income tax, the Welsh Sennedd doesn’t want anyone, even the Welsh.🏴

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Living in the Highlands (NC500) I'm amazed at the number of people (especially on those NC500 facebook pages) who say if a £2 tourist tax comes in they won't come to Scotland ever again.
My usual response is....if you are prepared to spend £100+ on diesel to get upto the Highlands for say 2 weeks, then what's another £30 ?

I've been all over the world and tourist tax is pretty much normal, but it's not always obvious that you are paying it.
should Scottish residents have to pay to visit other parts of Scotland ?

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
It's got nothing to do with the money, it's the principle of it. We visit places, put lots of money into the local community, keeping people in jobs, keeping businesses afloat which in turn creates new jobs, it's a win win situation. It goes without saying what happens to the economy of an area if they don't get tourists.
Too much money is wasted by local authorities. Just locally the council spent £332,000 widening an already wide 400yds long pavement by 18 inches to accommodate cyclists and pedestrians going between the town and the railway station which has only around 6 trains a day. There's never much traffic on the road and cyclists could safely use it. Totally unnecessary waste of public money at a time when they are cash-strapped :(

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
It seems reasonable enough to me as others have said in other countries there's been tourist tax for years.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Really?
Spain in general, or just Catalonia?
Barcelona* mainly. The locals have been complaining more lately about the sheer amount of tourists around daily & the difficulty of living/working /travelling there. Peavy would be able to throw a bit more light upon the subject.
* I'm sure I read that on any day there are 1million tourists in Barca, When the population is only 1,7 million that is a lot:

Then you now have the Canarias complaining

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Barcelona* mainly. The locals have been complaining more lately about the sheer amount of tourists around daily & the difficulty of living/working /travelling there. Peavy would be able to throw a bit more light upon the subject.
* I'm sure I read that on any day there are 1million tourists in Barca, When the population is only 1,7 million that is a lot:

Then you now have the Canarias complaining
And just wait when the Cathedral is finished.
Even more tourists.
But I like Barca. So will happily pay the tax.

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
£1 a day is added to all hotel rooms in Manchester now. Raised 2.8 million last year. They stated the money went on schemes to attract people to the city in low ebb times and street cleaning. I'm in favour as long as it goes on things to add value to the city and not to shore up a failing council budget.

Jul 13, 2022
Tarragona, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
I'm not against paying some form of rational tourist tax in some popular destinations, we're all tourists, even in our own countries, right? It's supposed to help paying infrastructure and preserve heritage.
Apart from that, I'm from Barcelona (though not living there since a few years ago) and I lived the incredible tourist explosion the city made after the Olympic games in 1992. It has devoured the city literally, bringing good stuff and some bad stuff too.

May 5, 2022
Kidsgrove, North Staffordshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B778 PL
Exp
Since 1992
I wonder if the people complaining about too many tourists have asked the local businesses what they think about it?
Article in the paper today about 300% increases in 2nd home rates in Welsh Wales. Businesses are complaining that the 2nd home owners come evert weekend and they rely on them. Not like Devon where they come for a month a year.
It is a complicated is. Barcelona are advertising on UK television for holidays.

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
It's got nothing to do with the money, it's the principle of it. We visit places, put lots of money into the local community, keeping people in jobs, keeping businesses afloat which in turn creates new jobs, it's a win win situation. It goes without saying what happens to the economy of an area if they don't get tourists.
Too much money is wasted by local authorities. Just locally the council spent £332,000 widening an already wide 400yds long pavement by 18 inches to accommodate cyclists and pedestrians going between the town and the railway station which has only around 6 trains a day. There's never much traffic on the road and cyclists could safely use it. Totally unnecessary waste of public money at a time when they are cash-strapped :(
If you are not going to go anywhere with a tourist tax you will not be traveling far.
At least some places show it separately to what you pay overall.
If you go to somewhere like York you will pay more for your beer than if you were in Hull. Part of the extra cost in York Is their rates will be higher due to turnover which is higher due to tourists. You pay more in tax even if it's not called a tourist tax.
No disrespect meant to Hull by the way.
What your tax money goes on is a whole different debate.

Jul 13, 2023
All over Europe now
Funster No
MH
Adria 680ST Gold
Thailand has lots of Tourist Taxes and double /triple government statutory pricing for foreigners but sometime you have to pay up to 10x entry fees at some national parks if not Thai its a rip off and leaves a bad taste ..

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Wales is going to introduce a 'tourist tax' in 2027. There's no way I'm paying a tax to sleep in my own van in my own country. The tax will be on anyone sleeping overnight in a tent, van, caravan, b&b, guest house or hotel. Where will the money go, how will tourists benefit? They're doing their best to destroy the Welsh economy of which tourism is a major part. :mad:
They have to get the money from somewhere to support the illegal immigrants..BUSBY.

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
£1 a day is added to all hotel rooms in Manchester now. Raised 2.8 million last year. They stated the money went on schemes to attract people to the city in low ebb times and street cleaning. I'm in favour as long as it goes on things to add value to the city and not to shore up a failing council budget.
This is the BBC News link. The first place in UK to introduce the tax.

Many others will follow now that it's showing good income. Just what they spend this new income on will probably not include Aires or campsites.

BBC News - Manchester's 'tourist tax' raises £2.8m after first year

Feb 5, 2022
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Possl 2 win
Exp
40 years
Thailand has lots of Tourist Taxes and double /triple government statutory pricing for foreigners but sometime you have to pay up to 10x entry fees at some national parks if not Thai its a rip off and leaves a bad taste ..
I visited Chiangmai a couple of years ago and noticed the farang tax on non Thais but the best bit is charge them triple and then no English explanation in a museum!!!

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Many others will follow now that it's showing good income
I suspect you are right, because that. Money is raised by the council. What it fails to give any indication of, is the number of visitors that it has put off, or have reduced their stay length thereby affecting businesses. Nor does it show any indication that folks will pay it once, but will not return. Not saying that any of the above are true, because I don't know, but I bet the council or the group mentioned don't know either. Little point in just adding rooms if occupancy rates for the existing are falling. All they will likely do is spread the same jam thinner.

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
If you are not going to go anywhere with a tourist tax you will not be traveling far.
At least some places show it separately to what you pay overall.
If you go to somewhere like York you will pay more for your beer than if you were in Hull. Part of the extra cost in York Is their rates will be higher due to turnover which is higher due to tourists. You pay more in tax even if it's not called a tourist tax.
No disrespect meant to Hull by the way.
What your tax money goes on is a whole different debate.
I won't be going to anywhere on my doorstep ie Wales. I asked my AM what the government is going to do with the money raised by this tax and he couldn't tell me. When is a tourist not a tourist? Tourism comes in all shapes and sizes. A tourist is a person who travels to a place for pleasure, according to the dictionary.
Why should one tourist pay a tax while others don't?
It's just another decision made in Cardiff without much thought just like the blanket 20mph nonsense and half a dozen other examples I could give from the past year.
I will travel home to Scotland and pay a 'tourist tax' because it appreciates it's tourists, sees their value and develops facilities for them. Unlike Wales it has a first rate roads network which it has continually improved, where as in Wales it takes forever to get from north to south and the Welsh government has openly stated that there will be no more new roads built or improvements made. :doh:

OP
OP
T
May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
It seems to me from the comments it's a case , "we don't want you but we have a request to help our economy please send us some money" as we won't survive without it !!

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Have not been back since they were on the fly overs with “tourists not welcome” so point taken I don’t go

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Have paid it when staying at hotels in the US for years but don’t know where the money goes.

I was thinking about tax when away in Woolacombe last week, 3 lots of public toilets in a small coastal village and numerous trailers with rubbish bins in pulled down to the beach as the tide goes out, who pays for that?
Not seen this anywhere before and most places in the UK you would be lucky to find a public toilet, saying that stopped at a large rest area off the A35 and the toilet block was locked up🤔🤔that was a good idea!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back