ELSAN .....alway wondered why the toilet dump point was call this. (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
the word Elsan to me is a reminder of some old oil tank fitted with an uncomfortable toilet seat over the most horrible smelling chemicals which stank through the whole caravan out back in the fifties. I think i preferred the French squat toilets as a child!!

At least they washed your feet if you weren't quick enough out of your door!

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I think I'm correct in saying that elsan was one of the first companies that made Leisure toilet ware and fluids to use in them.
It's a bit like calling all vacuum cleaners, Hoover's.

So the place where one emptied the waste was called an 'Elsan point'.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
the word Elsan to me is a reminder of some old oil tank fitted with an uncomfortable toilet seat over the most horrible smelling chemicals which stank through the whole caravan out back in the fifties. I think i preferred the French squat toilets as a child!!

At least they washed your feet if you weren't quick enough out of your door!
You wouldn't when you got older and the knees were not what they used to be? 😆

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
For Sale
In the early 1920’s, Ephraim Louis Jackson, a London entrepreneur and amateur chemist could see a universal need for indoor sanitation and he invented and patented a unique design of toilet for use indoors with special chemicals to kill diseases and prevent foul odours. His business flourished and in 1924 he decided to found a company to concentrate on marketing these products.

Taking his initials E.L and the first three letters of sanitation he called his company ELSAN. Jackson’s forecasts for the future proved correct and his company quickly became the largest manufacturer of non-mains toilets in the UK.

our-history

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
.... and the competition for inside loos.
The Crapper

1703276401548.png

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
This thread has brought back memories of caravaning in the 1950's, when, on west beach Selsey we had Dan Dan the lavatory man.
This guy used to come round with a horse drawn trailer carrying a large tank into which he would empty the camper's elsans like a coalman would tip a sack of nutty slack over his shoulder.:sick:

Feb 5, 2020
Crosby
Funster No
MH
Smileo 202
Exp
Was a Newbie but getting the hang of it now.
We stayed (tent ) on a site near Silverstone many years ago.
As we went to the toilet block, Adele pipes up ,"Oh look they have a goat called Elsan"
She had no idea that it was a dump point for the caravans and thought it was the nearby goats name.
We still have a smile about it nearly 40 yrs later.

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
Back in the 60's & 70's one of the compact models of marine toilets was called a "Baby Blake". In the pub with my wife and another yottie, we were discussing matters relating to fitting out and building boats. My friend mentioned that he had managed to buy a second-hand 'Baby Blake" at an auction. My wife, thinking it to be a marine engine enquired "how many horsepower is it?" As can be imagined, it was a source of some merriment.

Dec 6, 2022
Worcestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
autotrail imala 736g
Exp
Talking ablutions, not caravan related though, the worst chemical toilet i have ever had the mis pleasure to use was a concrete block building with a tin roof in Death Valley . It was a concrete plinth with a fixed toilet seat over a huge open tank about six feet deep. If a child fell through it wouldn't be pleasant.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
There is part of Gosport called Elson .....why?
Because if Hampshire suffered from piles the ointment would be applied to Gosport. 😀
(Old joke, I am sure Gosport has many fine attributes)

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Elsan was the surname of the man who designed the cassette we are now all familiar with!
The Elsan chemical toilet dates back 60 years earlier than the 1980s when Thetford “claim” to have introduced the first cassette toilets. (Did they?) The chemical toilet inventor very wisely decided not to use his own name of Jackson for his business, unlike Thomas Crapper whose descendants probably wish he had been more imaginative.

Edit. Crapper threads are great, we need to flush out lots more.

EMS

Jan 8, 2010
Hants Sussex border near
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low
Exp
Started 2009!
The first time I met an Elsan was in the 1950s when we went strawberry picking on a family friends farm in Hampshire, a hut with the said ugly steel box inside and a smell to match.
But the strawberries were wonderful perhaps it was the compost!!!!!

May 24, 2008
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Fortero
Exp
as a kid ofter wonder if it was safer out side our Anderson shelter or in side with the Elsan

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
As an old soldier I have..shall we say..taken a shovel for a Recce..on more than one occasion..the good old thunderbox springs to mind..Cyprus..Kenya..even on Exercise in Thetford a few times..so Elsan was a blessing..well sort of...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back