Is a Kindle worth carrying for internet abroad? (1 Viewer)

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Never having used one, just wondering whether it has a half decent browser.

I have used www.mail2web.com to pick up my POP3 email when abroad in hotels and wondered whether it can also be used to recieve and send text emails from a kindle.

If ift works, I assume the 3G versions would give more flexibility.

Are there any restrictions on 3G usage with a kindle as it`s free?

Thanks

Steve

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The Kindle is not a very good internet browser. It works and is usable in an emergency but is quite frustrating to use, I suspect it has been designed that way to limit usage, as it is free. Using 3G to buy a book from Amazon is quick and convenient however (I wonder why :roflmto:)

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
The problem with tablets and the likes of a Kindle is that you need a pretty good wifi signal.
Thats fine in hotels, at home or even campsites where they have good coverage and multiple aerials...
I take my ipad and thats fine in strong areas BUT still have my laptop and a wifi aerial extender so I can park away for McDonalds and use their wifi or sometimes on aire's pick up an odd free signal..
Personaly I would not buy a Kindle as a main device.

out of interest I have just ordered 2 of these for my grandkids..
I played with a 10" version in PC WORLD and was quiet impressed with the screen sensitivity and speed. They are due to arrive today so not able to give a report myself but seems a good buy at the price.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Seeing the previous post reminds me that you must have the 3G version to do this because if you only have wifi you may be paying for it, and availability will be limited. 3G or at least GPRS coverage is pretty good most places in Europe (not the New Forest though). I even had a good signal crossing the Anatolian plateau apparently miles from anywhere.

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
As others have said great for an emergency, but I wouldn't want to use it all of the time. It is clunky and frustrating to use.

I used the wife's 3G kindle when we were in France to top up our caxton card when there was no WIFI. Where there is WIFI I prefer my Iphone.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Kindle 3g.

We have 2 and they have never yet failed to get me logged on, normally at 3g.

Its not the best browser, its clunky, its frustrating, its FREE and as far as I am concerned really good value for money,,

Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
I think its good value. Ive used it abroad extensively(3G Version). Yes the browser is clunky, but it does allow you to check emails for free. Log onto Facebook or this site and generally keep in touch with home at no extra cost. Its a great product, the free internet browser is a just a bonus.

Downloading books is super quick.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
out of interest I have just ordered 2 of these for my grandkids..
I played with a 10" version in PC WORLD and was quiet impressed with the screen sensitivity and speed. They are due to arrive today so not able to give a report myself but seems a good buy at the price.

I was given an Archos 70 Internet Tablet PC at Xmas... I had played with one in store and commented it seemed quite cool.

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/ARCHOS-70-250-Internet-Tablet/dp/B00422XOEG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1336049120&sr=8-2"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/ARCHOS-70-250-Internet-Tablet/dp/B00422XOEG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1336049120&sr=8-2[/ame]

So I thought it would be great, with a 250GB HDD masses of storage, and not so big with a 7" LCD screen, also Wifi + Bluetooth and HDMI out, great to connect to the TV in the van...

For two days it was great, but only two days.:cry:

As I started loading some apps, it got slower and slower, then started rebooting itself, then stopped re-booting all together. Followed all the help online, got it going again, but only after a full hard reset.
This sequence then happened at least four times over two weeks, set up, load apps, die.. so by then I was ready to use it as a levelling ramp, (yes I know, it would be as useful as a levelling ramp, as it was as an internet tablet, but more satisfying :RollEyes:) I decided a full refund was the only option.

In UK if I am travelling without my laptop I use my iPad tethered to my iPhone on "3", (Unlimited data and streaming). Abroad I just put a local data sim in either my iPhone or my dongle and tether the iPad or laptop to that...:thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Abroad I just put a local data sim in either my iPhone or my dongle and tether the iPad or laptop to that...:thumb::thumb:

From what I have read, this is OK for some countries but not France for some reason, unless anyone knows different.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
From what I have read, this is OK for some countries but not France for some reason, unless anyone knows different.

France for some reason is still very expensive compared to the rest of Europe for mobile internet. :cry:

So if I don't have access to wifi in France, I use a PAYG UK Vodafone sim in my iPhone, it gives 25mb for £2 a day. More than enough on the iPhone for checking and sending e-mails, some internet chat, and some surfing too.... MHF of course....:winky:

Get 25MB of data for £2 a day (midnight to midnight, UK time) to use in our Europe zone with Vodafone Data Traveller Or pay £10 for a month’s data in our Europe zone (25MB a day).

Link Removed

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
As far as I am concerned (and I doubt anyone will agree with me) when it comes to internet "abroad" it is all about how much you are willing to pay and how many hoops you are happy to jump through...

If you are a super rich, money no object, just arrange with your UK provider for the best roaming package and off you go... (I once arrived back in Blighty and had an £850 bill... :Eeek:)

If you are a "super careful save every penny you possibly can type", then you can send emails free via a 3G Kindle from anywhere in a lot of Europe.. (obviously at free wi-fi hotspots, all wi-fi enabled devices are free)... The Kindle will take you a bit of time but can be done...

If you are somewhere in between these two types you can go to the trouble of buying internet sim cards for each of the countries you visit where it will be more affordable than UK roaming charges but sometimes quite tricky to set-up. Every time I check out what is available in France and Spain my head blows up...

I finally got fed up with faffing about with internet access here in Portugal and just got a no limit (yeah right!) data package for €33 a month... plug it into my sharing dock and the van becomes a personal wi-fi hot spot...

But to answer the OP... a 3g Kindle can be used free abroad to email and "browse" and, for me, it is always worth carrying a Kindle... to read books on...

JJ :Cool:

SPUD'N'T

Free Member
Aug 25, 2008
YORK ENGLAND
Funster No
MH
COACHBUILT (LOW PROFILE)
Exp
since 2008
I think its good value. Ive used it abroad extensively(3G Version). Yes the browser is clunky, but it does allow you to check emails for free. Log onto Facebook or this site and generally keep in touch with home at no extra cost. Its a great product, the free internet browser is a just a bonus.

Downloading books is super quick.

I agree, not very quick or fancy but it kept me in touch with friends and family via e-mail and f/b for 3 months in portugal earlier this year, sometimes we were many miles from the nearest wi-fi so it did what i bought it for plus the other half loves the books and it's free internet for the price a great bit of kit

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
France for some reason is still very expensive compared to the rest of Europe for mobile internet. :cry:

So if I don't have access to wifi in France, I use a PAYG UK Vodafone sim in my iPhone, it gives 25mb for £2 a day. More than enough on the iPhone for checking and sending e-mails, some internet chat, and some surfing too.... MHF of course....:winky:

Get 25MB of data for £2 a day (midnight to midnight, UK time) to use in our Europe zone with Vodafone Data Traveller Or pay £10 for a month’s data in our Europe zone (25MB a day).

Link Removed

I thought the rules had changed on this and you could only get it if you had a contract worth £40 a month, I was most disappointed when it happened as I used it a lot last year when we went to France, I may be wrong and I hope I am!!

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Not sure but think if your contract is £40pm, it`s free.

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
Never having used one, just wondering whether it has a half decent browser.

I have used www.mail2web.com to pick up my POP3 email when abroad in hotels and wondered whether it can also be used to recieve and send text emails from a kindle.

If ift works, I assume the 3G versions would give more flexibility.

Are there any restrictions on 3G usage with a kindle as it`s free?

Thanks

Steve

As others have said.......Not very easy to use and slow.

But so long as there is a 3g signal it is free and got me out of a hole many times when no wifi. :thumb:

eric 83

Free Member
Jan 6, 2009
leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
30+yrs
I know the op. was about the kindle but has anyone tried a kobo vox ? it seems to have a better spec. than a kindle.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I thought the rules had changed on this and you could only get it if you had a contract worth £40 a month, I was most disappointed when it happened as I used it a lot last year when we went to France, I may be wrong and I hope I am!!

Pay monthly customers

Using data abroad in our Europe zone is easier with Vodafone Data Traveller. Pay just £2 a day (midnight to midnight, UK time) for 25MB.

Price plans with at least 1200 minutes give you Vodafone Data Traveller in our Europe zone at no extra daily cost as well as 10 SMS a day to use when in our Europe Zone as well, so it’s even easier to stay connected.

So in our Europe zone, you can either pay £2 a day for Vodafone Data Traveller or have it included in your price plan.

Pay as you go customers

As a pay as you go customer you’ll automatically benefit from Vodafone Data Traveller. You just pay £2 a day in our Europe zone.

Link Removed

This is the only reason I have a Vodafone PAYG sim........

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
I know the op. was about the kindle but has anyone tried a kobo vox ? it seems to have a better spec. than a kindle.

From the wired.co.uk review...
"Conclusion
Despite the previous plus points, we can't let the Kobo Vox off the hook. It is a poorly made, poorly built product with a substandard screen, lacklustre performance and frustratingly unresponsive navigation."

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I use a T-mobile PAYGO dongle, which I find most economical as I only use it when away from home. Charges are £15 for a month in UK or £40 for a month in Europe. There are other things you can do like 25Mb for £2 in Europe.
My previous dongle was Vodaphone @ £15 per month but had to pay every month whether I used it or not.

keith hull

Free Member
May 4, 2012
Hull
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Im a newbie
Used in Oz

We have 2 kindles 3g type and we used them no problem in Australia so if they work that far away should work anywhere

M1ke

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Tracker FB
Exp
5 years
My Kindle 3g is the first thing I pack when going on holiday abroad, even though I would rather read using my Ipad 2. The Kindle is free wherever you are and although it is clunky to use, you can pick up your emails without much hassle. If you find a cafe which offers free wi-fi it is ten times quicker than 3g and much easier to use. The only place that I know of that it does not work is in China. Hope this helps :Smile:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Agree with pretty much everything that's been said about 3G Kindle and international web-surfing, except.....

Nobody has mentioned that, apparently, Amazon has recently restricted internet connection in certain countries or locations? There's a big thread on another motorhome forum currently (sometimes referred to as 'the dark side' - I believe :winky: ).

There appears to have been some sort of change of policy, but the details remain hazy and unclear. Is anybody still enjoying unlimited 3G connections on their Kindle in France and or Spain?

SilverF1

Free Member
Nov 14, 2010
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
7 years and upwards
There appears to have been some sort of change of policy, but the details remain hazy and unclear. Is anybody still enjoying unlimited 3G connections on their Kindle in France and or Spain?

Currently in Spain and the Kindle3G has been working as normal. Yes it's clunky web-browsing, but it's free. Ours is working well and of course a laptop/Ipad/notebook is better when wifi is available. No wifi, Kindle 3G wins.

Maybe there are connectivity issues with the latest generation of Kindles?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back