Generators, gas conversion and warranty? (1 Viewer)

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
having made the decision to buy a generator, I am looking into the merits of also having the gas conversion kit added.

Initially I had decided on the Honda eu20i because of the 5 year warranty, then I read that to keep the 5 year warranty you have to have the annual service carried out by a Honda dealer which would be £100+, thereby adding £400 to the price.

I then read that adding the gas kit invalidates the Honda warranty, I emailed one of the online sellers who includes the gas kit option and this is their reply... "Yes adding the Gas conversion kit reduces the warranty to 12 months if you bought the generator on dual fuel from us".

Surely if it invalidates the warranty it invalidates it, not just reduces it to 12 months or am I missing something?

As it can come as a DIY kit on the Honda, if the machine needed to be sent back under guarantee, couldn`t you just remove it and they would be none the wiser?

All of this has made me consider the Kipor again at half the cost.

I have emailed a couple of dealers asking whether the Kipor has a gas option and if it does, would that also invalidate it`s warranty, still waiting for a reply.

Does anyone have any first hand experience of using a generator Honda or Kipor with a gas conversion and can shed any light on the cost of running compared to petrol? Or any experience of warraqnty issues?

Thanks

Steve

bungle.bear

Free Member
Oct 14, 2011
peterborough
Funster No
MH
Self build van conversion
Exp
having made the decision to buy a generator, I am looking into the merits of also having the gas conversion kit added.

Initially I had decided on the Honda eu20i because of the 5 year warranty, then I read that to keep the 5 year warranty you have to have the annual service carried out by a Honda dealer which would be £100+, thereby adding £400 to the price.

I then read that adding the gas kit invalidates the Honda warranty, I emailed one of the online sellers who includes the gas kit option and this is their reply... "Yes adding the Gas conversion kit reduces the warranty to 12 months if you bought the generator on dual fuel from us".

Surely if it invalidates the warranty it invalidates it, not just reduces it to 12 months or am I missing something?

As it can come as a DIY kit on the Honda, if the machine needed to be sent back under guarantee, couldn`t you just remove it and they would be none the wiser?

All of this has made me consider the Kipor again at half the cost.

I have emailed a couple of dealers asking whether the Kipor has a gas option and if it does, would that also invalidate it`s warranty, still waiting for a reply.

Does anyone have any first hand experience of using a generator Honda or Kipor with a gas conversion and can shed any light on the cost of running compared to petrol? Or any experience of warraqnty issues?

Thanks

Steve

I have a little experience of petrol generators converted to LPG, basically because LPG has no lubricating properties and it runs hotter than petrol the engines servicable life will be reduced, hence I guess Honda reduce the warranty to 12 monthes. You can increase the servicable life by running the odd tankfull of petrol though the generator, Also LPG has a lower calorific value the maximum output from the generator will reduce by about 15%. Fuel wise there is no cost benifit of running on LPG unless you have a gas tank fitted and you do not want to carry petrol onboard.

Having said all this I have a LPG Onan generator built in, and I would not be without it, but most onboard generators are built for LPG, they are not Petrol generators converted.

Anthony

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Honda will invalidate the warranty in its entirety but the seller mentioned will provide their own full 12 month warranty.

three types of conversion will be available.

one needs a replacement carb isolation/insulation block with a fitting for the LPG jet tube.

this requires some dismantling as the carb has to be removed to fit the block but is reversible....can still be run on petrol.

the second simply has the jet tube inserted down the carb inlet/venturi

'down the carb' version is very easy to remove with no dismantling involved other than removing the air filter housing....can still be run on petrol.

the third option (most reliable) requires the carb is removed and permanently drilled to fit the jet tube and is irreversible and cannot be run on petrol.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
On my RV I had a Kolar 4.5kw LPG genny and seldom used it because..

a) it was using precious LPG that wasn't always readily available nearby and b) it was expensive to run .. so I bought a 2kw Honda, never used it again ..

Putting the warranty issue to one side, I can't see the merits of converting a small portable genny to run on LPG ..

* It's not truly portable if you need to lug a gas bottle wherever you use it..
examples:
1, You may want to use at home for a power outage ..
2, If on an aire or site on occasions I've moved my Honda behind a wall or hedge to minimize the noise.. even moving behind the van is helpful.. not easy if it's tethered to the BBQ gas outlet ..

* Petrol is lighter to carry and much easier to source.. you can collect fuel in a 5 lt can on a bicycle or even walking , try that with a gas bottle.

so what are the perceived benefits of converting to LPG ?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
me thinks the the perceived benefits of converting to LPG ?
Are from days of old and knights were bold and LPG 25p Ltr
G

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
We use one of these, to charge batteries. KIAM Cheap and works well. Starts easily, has an inverter, stabilised output and is 59db at 7m on half load, and that's me measuring it. So no theoretical figures for noise. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Not up to the Honda quality of course, but then neither is the price. We have only got the 1kva, because as said we only charge batteries with it when dry camping or at Scout camp. If I want to do any real generating I start up the 5.5kva Onan which is not exactly quiet. :shout::shout:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
You can still use petrol, just have to make sure tank is empty before using on gas, or at least that`s what I am being told.

Also told it would be 30-50% cheaper to run on gas.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Steve,
There is a place in Crewe that does LPG conversions and sells Honda gennies called Edge technology. He will warranty the genny and carry out the conversion. However, Honda Warranty and why bother its a Honda spring to mind.

The reason some of us Euro boxes like LPG Geo is noting to do with price, more about making sure we have saved some storage on the fuel cans . :ROFLMAO:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
There is another good reason why drivers of Euro boxes might want to have their otherwise excellent Honda generator converted to run on LPG from an external gas point. Ferry operators have a clause in their terms and conditions prohibiting the carriage of petrol in loose containers. P&O prohibit petrol containers generally, whether full or empty. So if you want to tour Europe in winter and take a generator, you face the prospect of buying a new container after arrival in France for each channel crossing and disposing of it before the return ferry trip. Or, just ignore the contract terms as I'm sure most users do. But then it would be a real pain to be inspected and told to dispose of your petrol can (and possibly generator since that may also carrying petrol) before returning to board.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
There is another good reason why drivers of Euro boxes might want to have their otherwise excellent Honda generator converted to run on LPG from an external gas point. Ferry operators have a clause in their terms and conditions prohibiting the carriage of petrol in loose containers. P&O prohibit petrol containers generally, whether full or empty. So if you want to tour Europe in winter and take a generator, you face the prospect of buying a new container after arrival in France for each channel crossing and disposing of it before the return ferry trip. Or, just ignore the contract terms as I'm sure most users do. But then it would be a real pain to be inspected and told to dispose of your petrol can (and possibly generator since that may also carrying petrol) before returning to board.

You learn something new every day. I have travelled across that water at least 100 times with petrol in a container, either in a motorhome or racing bikes. Ive never been prevented from sailing even when having had my lockers opened and looked in and generator and spare Jerry cans seen.
Im sure your not wrong, but seems the ferry companies dont really care. :thumb:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Im sure your not wrong, but seems the ferry companies dont really care. :thumb:

I'm sure you are right Paul - they're not that bothered. But I thought I'd point it out as the OP was asking for pros and cons of LPG conversion and this might just be a consideration.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back