Actual vet charges for Animal Health Certificates across UK (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
But is it a 'RIP Off' or has the changes post B**t meant more work (Process) for Vets, just pause a moment and consider for a vet to become qualified they have to spend 5-6 years at University at around Ā£9-13K per year for course fees plus costs, they have to have an undergrad and postgrad degree so thier debt in our wonderful higher ed scheme is going to cost the best part of Ā£80K+, they will have had to do placements or internments where they were paid very little. They have all their kit to pay for along with business overheads.

I am not saying the price isn't high but you are asking a highly qualified individual (who also needs 150 hours CPD every 3 years) to create you pet passport.

Controversial comments I know but there are others sides to a indirect cost that Vets have we may not see.
& the same applies here but at the end they do not have a job as there are far more vets qualifying than jobs available. That is why you always used to get so many spanish vets in the Uk in private practice & also abbatoir & food production. Last spanish vet I spoke to here was applying to the Guardia Civil ,Seprona side.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Pleas do tell the vet's that do it for less than Ā£100
Bill
People are using a vet near Folkstone call Abbywell or (something similar) paying Ā£98, I used a vet near me, Bury St Edmunds, cost me Ā£100, next one will cost me Ā£90, she gives a 10% discount second time around.

Apr 26, 2022
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Majestic 115
Pleas do tell the vet's that do it for less than Ā£100
Bill
Abbeywell Ā£99 and Ā£75 for a subsequent AHC. My vet where we have been going for 20 plus years with cats and the fog wanted over Ā£200 for the AHC on top of the rabies jab. Abbeywell did the Ā£200 plus bit for Ā£99.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Avarice is alive and well in the Veterinary business!
Vets4Pets are now saying that this was the price for regular clients and the price I was quoted was a mistake so I can suck it (Ā£70) up. Unbelievable.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Sadly same in many respects as:

Dogs Flea and worming from the vet, north of Ā£95 for 6 months.

Prescription from vet Ā£13 from internet supplier Ā£80 for 12 months.

sadly it's all about what you can get away with charging as apposed too cost plus.

Lizbiebrowne

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2020
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2019.
This is a link to a page on the AHC Facebook group that gives details of online vets who issues AHC's at a lower cost:

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 yearsā€¦.
Passpets just down the road from me still look like one of the best value ones.
They are very efficient and we had no problems at the tunnel like some people have had with other vets.
09991C9A-9EFF-4C70-BA60-0229397624F1.jpeg

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
& the same applies here but at the end they do not have a job as there are far more vets qualifying than jobs available. That is why you always used to get so many spanish vets in the Uk in private practice & also abbatoir & food production. Last spanish vet I spoke to here was applying to the Guardia Civil ,Seprona side.
The looming financial crisis may help to reduce costs here. I also suspect that a vet could enter medical school and become a GP

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Our vet (S E London) charged us Ā£170 and then we paid 30 Euros in Spain for the worming tablet.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Did you not get a passport for your mutt when in Spain Chris?
No. I was confused about what I was doing to be honest having never had a dog before. I thought you needed an AHC from the UK and then another AHC to get back. An enlightened soul put me straight that on the other side it was just worming tablets and a signature.

It was all very easy I must say (y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Abbeywell Ā£99 and Ā£75 for a subsequent AHC. My vet where we have been going for 20 plus years with cats and the fog wanted over Ā£200 for the AHC on top of the rabies jab. Abbeywell did the Ā£200 plus bit for Ā£99.
Thanks for that, I'd forgotten about the reduction for using their services again which we'll need to do for our new dog Bella - she's having her rabies jab towards the end of the month (Ā£57) so every littel helps!

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks for that, I'd forgotten about the reduction for using their services again which we'll need to do for our new dog Bella - she's having her rabies jab towards the end of the month (Ā£57) so every littel helps!
The reduction is for subsequent Ahc for the same dog not an extra new dog I believe

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The real pain for the AHC is it only lasts a few days and is valid for one trip only. This is illogical as all the certificate does is state the dog has an in date rabies vaccine. There is no reason why it couldn't remain valid until the expiry date of the vaccine. However, there is only space on the form for recording one worming treatment so for that reason alone it works for only one trip.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The real pain for the AHC is it only lasts a few days and is valid for one trip only. This is illogical as all the certificate does is state the dog has an in date rabies vaccine. There is no reason why it couldn't remain valid until the expiry date of the vaccine. However, there is only space on the form for recording one worming treatment so for that reason alone it works for only one trip.
It actually has 2 validity periods: it is valid for travel from the UK for only 10 days within which time it must be used to go abroad; it is then valid to travel back to the UK within 4 months (subject to worming being done of course).

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
The reduction is for subsequent Ahc for the same dog not an extra new dog I believe
Bummer ... just checked and you are correct ... :confused:

If we have previously provided you with an AHC and you now require another AHC for your upcoming travels; providing none of the details have changed, such as the owner, the pets, the address, the vaccinations, the entry point into the EU etc. you can benefit from this discounted service.
At least we'll only need 1 dog on it as we got passports for our others when we were in Portugal.

Jun 20, 2022
Chapel St Leonards, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato pvc self
Exp
Since 2017
Off to France and Spain next week. Got quote from new Lincolnshire vets in Skegness of Ā£60. Collected certificate from branch in wragby. They wanted Ā£108. After a brief conversation they honoured the quote but Ā£108 next time.
Happy days

Jan 22, 2017
North wales
Funster No
MH
Ace Napoli (Swift)
Exp
Since February 2019
Can anyone tell me, if my dog has a rabies jab that lasts for 3 years will my dog need a further rabies jab each time we apply for an AHC..?
I would prefer to reduce the amount of rabies jabs given....and I am thinking get a rabies jab and an AHC...then pay for another AHC within the next 3 years...hopefully without a further rabies jab..then get an EU pet passport and another rabies jab?

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Your rabies jab only needs renewing when the expiry date is reached, not every time you get an AHC. However if you decide to get a pet passport in Europe 99.9% of the time the rabies jab will have to be renewed by the European vet, ( irrespective of whether it is due) , as they are not permitted to transfer the information from any UK paperwork. I hope this makes sense!

Aug 2, 2022
Funster No
MH
Sun Living S70 SC
As long as the rabies jab is still valid another jab is not needed for a subsequent AHC.
A new rabies jab will be required for a European Pet Passport completed by an EU vet.I believe they canā€™t just copy the details over from your existing AHC or former passport.
The new rabies jab has to be given before the old one expires otherwise you would need to go down the blood test route.
Cal54 beat me to it, glad we are in complete agreement.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Abbeywell in Folkestone.
AHC gets cheaper after the first one.
Then get an EU Pet Passport, cheaper still in the long run!

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Your rabies jab only needs renewing when the expiry date is reached, not every time you get an AHC. However if you decide to get a pet passport in Europe 99.9% of the time the rabies jab will have to be renewed by the European vet, ( irrespective of whether it is due) , as they are not permitted to transfer the information from any UK paperwork. I hope this makes sense!
The part I have highlighted in red is not true. Under EU law vets are permitted to issue Pet Passports based on info provided by an AHC. See below, taken from the APHA booklet 'How to Complete Pet Passports' when we were still members of the EU.

592EEBF4-EAAA-4562-A8E8-1B60AA7E71FD.jpeg

There is no EU-wide legal requirement for a further rabies vaccination to be given in order to issue a Pet Passport. However, it seems that in most EU countries this has become normal practice.

As most mistakes made by vets in issuing Pet Passports revolve around transferred information - date of implantation of microchip vs date of reading, transferring rabies vaccination details but not signing and stamping them - it is probably safest to have a new rabies vaccination given at the time of obtaining the Pet Passport. There seems to be little problem in giving a dog two rabies vaccinations in a relatively short spell of time. When my dog was a puppy it was normal for them to have two rabies vaccinations three or four weeks apart as an initial course.

However, if you are averse to your dog having a second rabies vaccination, it is perfectly possible to obtain an EU Pet Passport using transferred information, as has been done by our very own Minxy among others. The easiest country for this is probably Portugal.

Dec 14, 2020
Bingley, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis 120
Exp
No! ...do you mean I need to have another rabies jab administered each time I apply for an AHC even if the rabies jab is in date
It was a direct response to your initial question. So no you don't need another rabies vaccination if the current rabies vaccination is in date, provided you have sufficient adequate proof of the details and the date of the vaccination to satisfy the vet providing the second and subsequent AHCs.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We had a booster for ours when we had the eu passport at our request, so that now they are both due at the same time rather than a year apart. Of course we have to accept that at 12 years old, Meg may not need one in 3 years time.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back