Wifi Television and data usage when abroad (1 Viewer)

Dec 25, 2022
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail EKS
Exp
Since 1994
Hi everyone - We will be travelling in France soon with a wifi TV for the first time. Can anyone advise me approximately how much data a TV uses, please?

OP
OP
AllesP
Dec 25, 2022
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail EKS
Exp
Since 1994
Between 0.5 and 1 Gb/hr is usual.

Ian
Thank you Ian, that is very helpful. Do you buy a SIM card when you get to France? If so, how much GB do you get and from where, please? This is all new for us. Thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Thank you Ian, that is very helpful. Do you buy a SIM card when you get to France? If so, how much GB do you get and from where, please? This is all new for us. Thanks

TBH, we mostly rely on our satellite system.

Unless you install/sign up to a VPN you won’t be able to watch UK channels with a foreign SIM. If you use a UK SIM you’ll most likely be limited to between 12 & 25 Gb/month.

There are a number of existing threads on which SIMs are best at any given time. If you use the search facility you should be able to find them. đź‘Ť

Ian

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
It really depends how much you want to watch?

If you have time, the best simcard to get is Popit 100gb roaming but has to be activated in Uk.

2nd I believe is O2 25gb roaming. As Ian said if you buy a non Uk sim you will need a vpn and a little bit of perseverance in setting it up.

PEM

Jun 5, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
Another thumbs up for popit used it heavily over Xmas in Spain and Portugal for 3 months activated in UK but didn't use it until we got to Spain no issues

Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
I have a 250GB sim with EE which can be used in the EU as if in the UK for a daily fee of ÂŁ2 or you can upgrade as an extra for ÂŁ8.75 per month and pay no daily charge. This extra can be cancelled after the month is up. It's what we have used on the French waterways and worked fine.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Just got home from Spain
SWMBO watched TV on her phone via my Hotspot (I'm on BT and have an automatic VPN) She was using upto 4GB to watch News and soaps almost daily on HD as well
Waiting for her new sim from EE (BT don't do new mobile stuff anymore and EE is run by BT) that will let her use her own data - - - She was on three and they wanted ÂŁ2 per day for her using any of her services whilst we were away for 90 days

OP
OP
AllesP
Dec 25, 2022
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail EKS
Exp
Since 1994
TBH, we mostly rely on our satellite system.

Unless you install/sign up to a VPN you won’t be able to watch UK channels with a foreign SIM. If you use a UK SIM you’ll most likely be limited to between 12 & 25 Gb/month.

There are a number of existing threads on which SIMs are best at any given time. If you use the search facility you should be able to find them. đź‘Ť

OP
OP
AllesP
Dec 25, 2022
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail EKS
Exp
Since 1994
Would I need a VPN to watch the Apps, like Netflix and Amazon Video? We have an Avtex mobile wifi and Avtex wifi TV, so I've no idea if there's a VPN installed?

OP
OP
AllesP
Dec 25, 2022
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail EKS
Exp
Since 1994
Just got home from Spain
SWMBO watched TV on her phone via my Hotspot (I'm on BT and have an automatic VPN) She was using upto 4GB to watch News and soaps almost daily on HD as well
Waiting for her new sim from EE (BT don't do new mobile stuff anymore and EE is run by BT) that will let her use her own data - - - She was on three and they wanted ÂŁ2 per day for her using any of her services whilst we were away for 90 days
Thank you but aren't you restricted to 25GB in Europe with EE?

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I’ve not watched this but maybe useful to you regarding vpn.

OP
OP
AllesP
Dec 25, 2022
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail EKS
Exp
Since 1994
Ps
Doent require a vpn to use so simple
Could you tell me how much GB you had on the
Another thumbs up for popit used it heavily over Xmas in Spain and Portugal for 3 months activated in UK but didn't use it

I have a 250GB sim with EE which can be used in the EU as if in the UK for a daily fee of ÂŁ2 or you can upgrade as an extra for ÂŁ8.75 per month and pay no daily charge. This extra can be cancelled after the month is up. It's what we have used on the French waterways and worked fine.
Can you tell me how much the 250 GB sim cost please and can you cancel it at any time?

OP
OP
AllesP
Dec 25, 2022
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail EKS
Exp
Since 1994
We had a 100gb popit sim and you can use all of it abroad
Activate it when you set off then deactivate it when you get back
We just want to be able to access films from Netflix and Amazon Video, not terrestrial channels. Are you able to do that with Popit, without a VPN? Thank you.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
We just want to be able to access films from Netflix and Amazon Video, not terrestrial channels. Are you able to do that with Popit, without a VPN? Thank you.
Yes you can, as it is a UK sim card, so no VPN required.
If you were to use a local sim card, or have access to local WiFi, then that's where the VPN becomes necessary.

Our Firestick 4K will not display in anything less than 720p, ie, High Definition, so watching 2 x hours of 6 x Nations Rugby last Saturday, and again on Sunday, chewed up 10Gb from our Popit 100Gb allowance :( so be aware of your usage.

HTH,

Jock. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back