What birds do you get in your garden (1 Viewer)

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Saw an eagle this morning :smiley: probably golden 🦅 not exactly 'in the garden' but I could have seen it from the house.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
We get quite few blackbirds .....

bloody hell!
there was a report of about 200 dead starlings dropping onto the road in Pembrokeshire last week, wonder if it looked as horrendous as that?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
bloody hell!
there was a report of about 200 dead starlings dropping onto the road in Pembrokeshire last week, wonder if it looked as horrendous as that?
At the end there's only a few dozen actually dead, the rest flew off.
I suspect this was a murmeration (if blackbirds do that) that went wrong and the lead birds took the brunt.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
At the end there's only a few dozen actually dead, the rest flew off.
I suspect this was a murmeration (if blackbirds do that) that went wrong and the lead birds took the brunt.
apparently they do and I agree, that's what it looks like

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Sea eagles have been reintroduced somewhere on the south coast.
Can't miss them with an 8ft wingspan.
Sea eagles are more common here than golden. I couldn't see any white but the sun was behind the bird. It didn't seem big enough either for a white-tail but with nothing but sun & sky behind it can be a bit difficult to judge.

Last edited:

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Sea eagles have been reintroduced somewhere on the south coast.
Can't miss them with an 8ft wingspan.
There were 25 introduced in Isle of Wight, two of them have recently been found suspiciously dead, one in Dorset the other said to be in Sussex; both rumoured to be on game shooting estates. They are being tested for poisoning.
And the local MP is said to have had a rather large donation to his campaign fund from an anti-sea eagle sporting estate.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Not quite my garden although we do hear them from here, taken down the Lane opposite us so not far, a very early skylark with no ground cover which gives a rare ground photo opportunity, from a good distance

55679D3B-D484-4720-B55F-737F5CB7A1A8.jpeg

And another cheat 🤔😁 This is in my garden but not a bird , later this year than for a long time

C91C98A5-4EC4-4CC6-A217-5029BC941A7E.jpeg

Expect a lot more by the weekend, we had that lovely frog croaking chorus last night 🙂👍

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Not quite my garden although we do hear them from here
I can do that cheat too, not skylarks but lapwings. A few have been reported all round the island but ours only arrived yesterday, there seems to be about a dozen, and they're already harassing the resident hooded crows and chasing them off the croft land.
It's quite a success story. There were no lapwings here until 2020 when we had 2 pairs. Last year there were 6 pairs, perhaps all producing more than one brood. It's a delight to see the tiny chicks ambling along the track - then being alerted by screaming adults who fearlessly dive-bomb any nearby potential predator, including humans and cars - all the adults come at you one after another. I guess a big part of their success in raising so many chicks to independence is the cooperative protection gangs that they form; a single pair couldn’t possibly protect the eggs or the brood from gulls, crows, weasels and voles; together they are a formidable force.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
The other thing is a couple of ducks have been coming every morning for a while now, they come before daylight. They operate a scorched Earth policy. The circle around the bird feeder is completely bare, just brown earth they have eaten everything. If I shoo them off , they just hop over the wall or sit on the roof till I have gone

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I have no knowledge of types of birds so I have no idea what we have but I do like seeing them at the bird feeders. We have only recently been able to feed the birds, we have a cat and she would have killed many, but she is now too old and just sits looking at them and wishing.

• HeartHug
Reactions: CWH

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
The black birds have thinned out but the starling have come in bigger group, just fly in mob handed

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Got this wicked beauty in the garden yesterday. There's a pair been around for a good while now but this is the first landing in the garden that I've been aware of. Photo's a bit 'misty' as it was taken through the window.
1000cuckoo2.JPG

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I still have plenty of small birds, sparrows, tits, LBJ's and protect their 2 feeder from larger birds by placing it inside the branches of a big, free standing, Rambling Rose so that the big birds cannot get too them and the birds are protected from the cats while feeding.
(They all appear to prefer the fat-balls to the Peanuts?)

I have had a LOT of Robins this year, I think they must like my new big shed I built during Lockdown?? (y)

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Rosie got me up at 5 am this morning to go out for a wee.
The bird song must wake her up, it was spectacular outside.

Best time of the day but rarely see it since retirement. Thankyou for reminding me, I MUST try harder! :unsure:

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Best time of the day but rarely see it since retirement. Thankyou for reminding me, I MUST try harder! :unsure:
Trouble is, it gets earlier & earlier!
Already, here, 'astronomical twilight' is 23:24-03:21, 'nautical twilight' 03:21-04:34, 'civil twilight' 04:34-05:23, when 'daylight' kicks in. So we already have no 'night'. And the ####### cuckoos know it!

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Trouble is, it gets earlier & earlier!
Already, here, 'astronomical twilight' is 23:24-03:21, 'nautical twilight' 03:21-04:34, 'civil twilight' 04:34-05:23, when 'daylight' kicks in. So we already have no 'night'. And the ####### cuckoos know it!

Sadly, for you, the birds ancestors were there before you. :giggle:

(as for no night, think of all those winter jobs you can catch up on, I've always said, Bears must be more intelligent than use, they have a warm coat and hibernates in winter but still sleeps in summer? :LOL:)

• Funny
Reactions: CWH
Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
My 'yard' regularly sees blackbirds, blue tits, wrens, and sparrows. This year there was a lot of posing on the fence and singing by a robin. Unfortunately I scared him/her off one day when I opened a window and discovered him/her building a nest in the porch about 6" away and staring right back at me. I closed everything up and hoped it would come back and resume building, but sadly not. However the sparrow who sits on the fence outside my kitchen window has been there often, singing happily. I think he's got a mate and nest in the hedge alongside. My neighbour's cat uses the same fence as a passageway, so I hope the birds and babies survive.

Sadly there are thousands of pigeons about as there are large mature trees in all my neighbours gardens. Looking out today I see I've had yet more 'direct hits' on the van and the car... This year, so far, the rooks which usually nest right at the top of my neighbour's massive tree have been much quieter than usual. Which may be due to the fact that they had the tree trimmed this year to reduce the height and overhang.

At night I often hear tawny owls from the copse over the road, and when I used to commute I'd sometimes see a barn owl hunting along the hedge rows of the nearby farm.

Looking out late at night I've seen foxes and deer on the track down which I live. I'm lucky to live where I do.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back