Ducato engine/gearbox given up in France. (2 Viewers)

OP
OP
Mixyblob
Jun 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30+ years
Can you have the old engine shipped back to the UK on a pallet so you can present it to the garage that was supposed to have done your timing belt?
Im not sure, I think its classed as an exchange item. It would be rather expensive too, I'd imagine. There's no "supposed" about it BTW, they did fit a new belt, its not the original.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I would only ship it back to the UK. If the garage asked for it and were prepared to bare the costs.
But I would think the photo's and written stuff from the repair garage is more than likely enough.

Out of interest ( and it's really none of my business so feel free not to say).

Does the garage that done the belt change know of your plight?
Or perhaps I have missed it in the earlier stages.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Can you have the old engine shipped back to the UK on a pallet so you can present it to the garage that was supposed to have done your timing belt?
Has it been proved the fitting of the new belt was the problem as I thought the OP stated above the timing belt was new and timing was correct?

OP
OP
Mixyblob
Jun 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30+ years
I would only ship it back to the UK. If the garage asked for it and were prepared to bare the costs.
But I would think the photo's and written stuff from the repair garage is more than likely enough.

Out of interest ( and it's really none of my business so feel free not to say).

Does the garage that done the belt change know of your plight?
Or perhaps I have missed it in the earlier stages.
Yes, they are fully aware of our plight and we've just received an email from them advising they've passed it to their insurers.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Has it been proved the fitting of the new belt was the problem as I thought the OP stated above the timing belt was new and timing was correct?
That damage does not necessarily result from a broken belt but can be due to other issues associated with replacing the belt.
All fully discussed in earlier posts in this thread.

Apr 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747-2
Exp
since 2010
Yes, they are fully aware of our plight and we've just received an email from them advising they've passed it to their insurers.
Hello Mixy, my brother is a garage owner and has had similar problems with claims. In his opinion the fault does seem to be with the cam belt change. He said that he would prefer the vehicle to be repatriated but accepts that is not always possible. He tells me that the normal insurance garages have is third party liability and not poor workmanship, poor workmanship is borne by the garage in most cases. He was astounded at the cost of your engine and says he will review his policies. He also said that your turbo has probably incurred damage and needs to be inspected. He did say that he would expect to have to put your vehicle right and accept the cause to be his, he advises you log all conversations and keep pics, documentation etc. He also points out that you have a duty of care to minimise your costs accommodation, car hire etc.

Hope all is sorted soon

OP
OP
Mixyblob
Jun 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30+ years

If you'd care to read adi4's (amongst many others) post#184, excellent and knowledgeable summary of events leading up to this event, all should be explained.

OP
OP
Mixyblob
Jun 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30+ years
Hello Mixy, my brother is a garage owner and has had similar problems with claims. In his opinion the fault does seem to be with the cam belt change. He said that he would prefer the vehicle to be repatriated but accepts that is not always possible. He tells me that the normal insurance garages have is third party liability and not poor workmanship, poor workmanship is borne by the garage in most cases. He was astounded at the cost of your engine and says he will review his policies. He also said that your turbo has probably incurred damage and needs to be inspected. He did say that he would expect to have to put your vehicle right and accept the cause to be his, he advises you log all conversations and keep pics, documentation etc. He also points out that you have a duty of care to minimise your costs accommodation, car hire etc.

Hope all is sorted soon
Thanks for that Catpirate, will get them to check the turbo.
As far as duty of care, were staying with friends of very long lost family members whos help and generosity has no bounds. We also have breakdown insurance who are offering a paltry contribution to our well being for 3 days.
We have our bikes with us so transport is free.
We would be more than happy to have the garage bill reimbursed by the UK garage, assuming of course, they accept liability.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
He also said that your turbo has probably incurred damage and needs to be inspected.
What he said ^^^^^^^^ + also the pipework feeding the egr valve if you have one & the egr valve itself all need to be inspected,cleaned & blown out. Also the injectors would need inspecting unless the motor is coming complete?

OP
OP
Mixyblob
Jun 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30+ years
What he said ^^^^^^^^ + also the pipework feeding the egr valve if you have one & the egr valve itself all need to be inspected,cleaned & blown out. Also the injectors would need inspecting unless the motor is coming complete?
I'm assuming its a recon, complete engine, well it f in should be for the price.

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Also the injectors would need inspecting unless the motor is coming complete?
I showed the pics to a pal, an engine development engineer with the acknowledged leading engine research and development company, working on prototypes ( including testing them to destruction) with major prestige vehicle manufacturers, F1 teams, the MOD and also ( chaser ;) ) the world speed record-holding tractor.
He mentioned among other things that he found on one occasion that (to precis his comments) a faulty injector had flooded the combustion chamber leading to similar mechanical damage.

[[JCB has shattered the record for the world's fast tractor - reaching a speed of 135.19mph and a top speed of 153.771mph. The Guinness World Records has crowned the UK machinery firm's Fastrac Two as the world's fastest tractor during a run at Elvington Airfield]]

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
JCB is absolutely the finest example of one man creating a world beating company, if you live round here you can't move for fantastic buildings with JCB all over them.
Maynot be as good as they are made out, but the business sense is out of this world.
Really started in a garage, making a trailer out of scrap.
He did have more behind him than is made out but even so a fantastic growth.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I'm assuming its a recon, complete engine, well it f in should be for the price.
its Coming from fiat so not a recon probably a bare engine though

years and years ago had a ford consul 375 that broke a con rod just towed home dropped sump pulled broken rod and piston out went to a brakers pulled piston and con rod out of an engine on the ground and just replaced ran for 2 years before selling good old days

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
its Coming from fiat so not a recon probably a bare engine though

years and years ago had a ford consul 375 that broke a con rod just towed home dropped sump pulled broken rod and piston out went to a brakers pulled piston and con rod out of an engine on the ground and just replaced ran for 2 years before selling good old days
Once had a nsu quickly moped, don't ask :doh: but all the lads in the village used it when their proper motorbike needed mending, we had that engine to bits every week , and always had something left over, it ended up with all the bottom of the piston missing but it just kept going, we couldn't kill it.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
chaser , I just sold a jcb 3cx I had for 18 years , bought it for £5000 & sold it for £4500 so it cost less than 1p a day
I have a JCB 3c2 , had it for about 30 years, bought for £1800, used to use it everyday for feeding silage to the cows , ditching, loading muck all sorts , now it just stands outside for 6 months or so at a time but we can put a battery on it and it will run first touch.
Got many friends and relations who used to build them.
Fantastic machine's.

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
JCB is absolutely the finest example of one man creating a world beating company, if you live round here you can't move for fantastic buildings with JCB all over them.
Maynot be as good as they are made out, but the business sense is out of this world.
Really started in a garage, making a trailer out of scrap.
He did have more behind him than is made out but even so a fantastic growth.
Indeed, and Harry Ferguson was another great inventor/designer.

1650478467648.png

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I've been following the thread Mixyblob, (having been there and done that near Toulouse unfortunately :cry: ), and I do wish you well getting it all sorted. (y)

Can I point out, that there is quite a difference between a recon, and a remanufactured engine, the latter which is possibly what you are waiting for.

Our engine came from them, which Ford & Slater Peterborough were commissioned to install.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Apr 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747-2
Exp
since 2010
Hi again mixi, my brother is so unnerved he has ordered a spare engine and gearbox. He too has a similar motorhome and only tours the uk. He will store it in the garage just in case.

Jan 1, 2014
France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G691 LCE
Exp
Since 1974
As mentioned in a previous post, I know of a previous situation that caused very similar damage to yours although no recent cam belt change.
On that occasion the vehicle was repaired by a German Fiat franchise, the Fiat unit is a complete motor (not what is commonly known as short motor) but bare of ancillaries, not a rebuilt unit by a third party.
Apart from the obvious seals, oils coolant etc they also replaced turbo, EGR unit, her total cost was circa 13k€ so in effect you will get a new engine although with your original alternator, air con pump etc. indeed anything likely to have been damaged / contaminated by your problem.

Jan 1, 2014
France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G691 LCE
Exp
Since 1974
He mentioned among other things that he found on one occasion that (to precis his comments) a faulty injector had flooded the combustion chamber leading to similar mechanical damage.
That would not account for the valve witness marks on the other three pistons

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back