Ducato engine/gearbox given up in France. (2 Viewers)

Swyli

Free Member
Apr 17, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer 522
Obviously I (and you) have no idea what the prognosis is but
is seems like the power train has become seriously faulty.
From being on here a fair few number of years it seems to be
the rule that our french cousins will have your pants down when
it comes to a repair. I'm not saying that they will be unprofessional
but anecdotal evidence suggests that they will charge you for X amount
of days to do the job but they only work a short day.

Time and time again funsters have reported being charged way more than
they would in the UK.
If I were you I would push hard to get your pride and joy repatriated
back to the UK.
I so feel for you, but Yes, try & get repatriated, our car broke down in France, the repair garage was trying to tell my husband it needed a new gearbox, he was unconvinced, we came home ( hire car) car repatriated, it turned out to be something small costing £30 cant remember the name but something in the brain box of the car, goodness knows how much the French garage bill would have been. Hope all turns out ell for you.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
:)

And on that tin, amongst several pages of similar blurb, is the following…

OUR MISSION​

The purpose of xxx is to provide our customers with the best possible service and confidence that we will give the best care to their vehicles.
We will do this by taking ownership of our own personal appearance and area. We’ll work together and cooperate with one another, acknowledging that each and every one of us has our own area of expertise. We will continue to invest in external and internal training so we can improve our systems and processes to enable us to be at the top of our game. We’ll strive to create an environment for our workforce that is always evolving, taking into account all feedback and we will measure our customer feedback to enable us to continuously improve our service to them.
We highly value the positive relationship we have with our customers and will reward loyalty. Team xxx are committed to living by our values and culture to deliver our customers’ expectations.
😕
I can post more pages if there's a demand🤣🤣🤣
This is all very well if it actually is their fault, can't see them paying out unless you can prove it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
[[JCB has shattered the record for the world's fast tractor - reaching a speed of 135.19mph and a top speed of 153.771mph. The Guinness World Records has crowned the UK machinery firm's Fastrac Two as the world's fastest tractor during a run at Elvington Airfield]]
No mention of the driver then.

Guy Martin.

I thought that record had been unofficially broken by an American on a regular type tractor (big wheels at back, small at front) with a massive V8 petrol engine

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
The cam belt and water pump change by our independent garage came with warranty against any failure - I cannot check the paperwork from here for how many months but I remember being surprised by it when I collected the van.
This may be the case for Mixyblob too.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
The cam belt and water pump change by our independent garage came with warranty against any failure - I cannot check the paperwork from here for how many months but I remember being surprised by it when I collected the van.
This may be the case for Mixyblob too.
Yebbut, it's necessary to establish/agree the cause of the damage. In this case the belt was in place, correctly timed and tensioned.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mixyblob
Jun 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30+ years
Quick update…..
Cycled to the Fiat garage today, as they were not replying to my emails.
Some good news and some bad.
The manager who was dealing with us is on holiday till 2nd May hence no email reply.
The replacement engine has arrived from Italy but the one mechanic who was due to do the swap is off with covid.
Watch this space…..

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Quick update…..
Cycled to the Fiat garage today, as they were not replying to my emails.
Some good news and some bad.
The manager who was dealing with us is on holiday till 2nd May hence no email reply.
The replacement engine has arrived from Italy but the one mechanic who was due to do the swap is off with covid.
Watch this space…..
Chin up, that’s life. As long as it works out in the end that’s all you need :) Huh but thanks for the update :) Mine took 4 weeks to the day to get back on the road as waiting for engine part from Germany
Good luck :)

Apr 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747-2
Exp
since 2010
Must feel so frustrating. It is the not knowing that drives you mad. Been there, all the best.

Nov 7, 2020
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
No longer a Newbie
I’ve been intrigued by what could have failed on this motor with the timing belt still in place and the fact that only the inlet valves have left marks on the pistons.
I mentioned it to a race car builder mate this evening, and gave him the details of the damage.

Within 10secs he came up with an explanation that hadn’t even occurred to me or anyone else on here as far as I know.

He said “check the woodruff key on the crank pulley” “I bet it’s sheared”

Given all the evidence, this diagnosis does add up to be a real possibility.

What do the mechanically minded amongst you think?

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I’ve been intrigued by what could have failed on this motor with the timing belt still in place and the fact that only the inlet valves have left marks on the pistons.
I mentioned it to a race car builder mate this evening, and gave him the details of the damage.

Within 10secs he came up with an explanation that hadn’t even occurred to me or anyone else on here as far as I know.

Given all the evidence, this diagnosis does add up to be a real possibility.

What do the mechanically minded amongst you think?

i dont believe this cam has a woodruff key fixing..

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I've only ever removed two crankshaft pulleys, both times it was to replace the oil seal behind them. Can't remember if there were Woodruffe keys or not, but undoing the crankshaft bolt was a mammoth task. Breaker bars with scaffold poles got nowhere and eventually had to borrow a 3/4" drive impact wrench, which took a few goes to get them loose.
Maybe on a race car that's had the pulley off a few times and is producing phenomenal horse power it could happen but I think it's unlikely on a van ?
Incidentally, the only time I've ever sheared a crankshaft Woodruffe key was on my lawnmower when I clattered a hidden tree stump !
I still think the damage was started at the belt change due to the witness marks on all the pistons ?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Don't know about the crank but a possibility but on my transit the cam shafts have no keys just a taper & rey on the tightness of the bolt. Also, as I posted previously , the cam lobes are "push fit" & have been known to be knocked out of alignment.also the whole double cam assembly can only be purchased as a complete assembly & only from fords or someone who buys & sells on dismantled new crate motors.

Nov 7, 2020
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
No longer a Newbie
Here’s an image of a 2016 2.3 multi jet crankshaft timing pulley.
Definitely a keyway of some kind, although I would have expected a square one for a typical woodruff key.
DF5E9703-E86D-4FDD-BB43-EAF101AD6D29.jpeg

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Here’s an image of a 2016 2.3 multi jet crankshaft timing pulley.
Definitely a keyway of some kind, although I would have expected a square one for a typical woodruff key.
View attachment 611081
Looks like a Scotch key, which is a circular pin. Does the same job. But it shouldn't have failed in normal service. Either it wasn't replaced or the problem was elsewhere.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
The carbon build up on the remaining exhaust valve in the failed cylinder probably points to some longer standing combustion problem rather than a timing issue.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
I've only ever removed two crankshaft pulleys, both times it was to replace the oil seal behind them. Can't remember if there were Woodruffe keys or not, but undoing the crankshaft bolt was a mammoth task. Breaker bars with scaffold poles got nowhere and eventually had to borrow a 3/4" drive impact wrench, which took a few goes to get them loose.
Maybe on a race car that's had the pulley off a few times and is producing phenomenal horse power it could happen but I think it's unlikely on a van ?
Incidentally, the only time I've ever sheared a crankshaft Woodruffe key was on my lawnmower when I clattered a hidden tree stump !
I still think the damage was started at the belt change due to the witness marks on all the pistons ?
its a common problem on vivaros etcaux belt get wound into the cam belt if you luckythe key shears and minimises damage

Aug 26, 2021
Fleetwood, UK
Funster No
MH
a class Burstner
Could it not be the duel mass thingy. Mine went once at 6 months old. Bang, clunks, lights etc.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
UPDATE.
Mechanic back at work today, opens box containing new engine, all ready to fit it.
Wrong f in engine🤬
Apparently its not their fault, Fiat Italy sent the wrong one. Grrrr.
What can you say? Total fiasco.
Is the breakdown insurance still paying for your hotel?
When was you coming home?

OP
OP
Mixyblob
Jun 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30+ years
The difference between the old and new (wrong) engine are shown in these two photos.
My thinking is why not blank off the hole and get on with it. Or can anyone who is clued up on these engines kindly enlighten me otherwise?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220502-122325_Outlook.jpg
    Screenshot_20220502-122325_Outlook.jpg
    309.7 KB · Views: 221
  • Screenshot_20220502-122301_Outlook.jpg
    Screenshot_20220502-122301_Outlook.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 220

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.