Taxing MH, Taxing PO owners!! (1 Viewer)

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
MH needs road tax renewing on 1st Sept, goe's into storage tomorrow whilst I go back to work (at sea) for a month. OK says her goodself renew the tax, off I pops to our local PO run by a couple for many years who are not the most popular folk in town because of their attitudes, pedantic was probably invented for them!

Small PO so only 2 serving hatches, she's at one hubby has sign up at other saying no service this counter and is shuffling paperwork about whilst queue is 7-8 customers long. After 7-8 minutes my turn to be served hands over insurance, money and tax renewal which she carefully goes through looks at me and in a very loud voice announces "Your insurance ends 31st August Tax is for 1st Sept, I protest saying renewal docs are in the post. No use the dragon pushes the paperwork back to me loudly telling me to come back with a valid insurance document.

This was shortly after 4pm today, so 3 miles back home, phones insurance who understandingly email me insurance docs, (only renewed by phone last Friday on our return from hols)

Back to PO his lordship is still hiding behind his sign queue is still to door, eventually served when realistaion must have dawned unless he helped out he'd not be able to shut shop on time!

Eventually managed to renew my tax, makes you wonder if its worth fighting to keep small PO's open when they treat customers like this.:Sad::Sad::Sad:

Rant over

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
off I pops to our local PO run by a couple for many years who are not the most popular folk in town because of their attitudes, pedantic was probably invented for them!

Rant over

hmmm.. sounds like the same pair that run our village post office .... he is the most surly and unpleasant person I have ever had the misfortune to meet, his wife is unfriendly and little better and makes you feel she is doing you a favour by serving you ..

I now refuse to buy anything and rather drive 16 miles round trip to the nearest town.. even for a pint of milk .. I think they just stay open for the post office salary .. certainly not interested in running a shop or being a service to the community ..:Angry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Have to defend our local post office it has been run by a family for years now the 2 sons run it and couldnt be more helpful it is also the local shop and dont charge extortionate prices.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Have to defend our local post office it has been run by a family for years now the 2 sons run it and couldnt be more helpful it is also the local shop and dont charge extortionate prices.

that's the sad part.. it's also our only local shop. When we moved here we wanted to support it despite the prices and the unfriendly attitude which I put down to us being 'outsiders' but after a year of this I put my foot down and said no more.. I'd rather drive and waste petrol as put money in their retirement kitty

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010

We had a similar one 2 miles East in another tiny village, unfortunately lost their PO franchise last year, lovely semi retired couple sold everything from local produce, newspapers, and groceries, shop no longer viable and forced into closure.

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
"Your insurance ends 31st August Tax is for 1st Sept, I protest saying renewal docs are in the post. No use the dragon pushes the paperwork back to me loudly telling me to come back with a valid insurance document.

Stewart,

I don't know what you expected her to do, you were trying to apply for tax when there was no proof of insurance.

I would have refused to renew in the same circumstances.

Lunarman

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
MH needs road tax renewing on 1st Sept, goe's into storage tomorrow whilst I go back to work (at sea) for a month. OK says her goodself renew the tax, off I pops to our local PO run by a couple for many years who are not the most popular folk in town because of their attitudes, pedantic was probably invented for them!

Small PO so only 2 serving hatches, she's at one hubby has sign up at other saying no service this counter and is shuffling paperwork about whilst queue is 7-8 customers long. After 7-8 minutes my turn to be served hands over insurance, money and tax renewal which she carefully goes through looks at me and in a very loud voice announces "Your insurance ends 31st August Tax is for 1st Sept, I protest saying renewal docs are in the post. No use the dragon pushes the paperwork back to me loudly telling me to come back with a valid insurance document.

This was shortly after 4pm today, so 3 miles back home, phones insurance who understandingly email me insurance docs, (only renewed by phone last Friday on our return from hols)

Back to PO his lordship is still hiding behind his sign queue is still to door, eventually served when realistaion must have dawned unless he helped out he'd not be able to shut shop on time!

Eventually managed to renew my tax, makes you wonder if its worth fighting to keep small PO's open when they treat customers like this.:Sad::Sad::Sad:

Rant over

It took me a couple of years to do it, but now I have MOT,Tax and insurance separated by a month each IE June July and August. So now things are not so hard to get done.

Doug...

brodie

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2008
Our PO is exactly the same in regards to attitude. We now do the tax online and I even print off my own labels for parcels when I sell anything on e-bay.

I just take the lot up there to hand it over and I get great satisfaction knowing they wont make a profit off it as you pay it in an account direct to Royal Mail. :Smile:

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Whilst I have found the service at my local post office is similarly unfriendly and often unhelpful I have to come to the defence of subpostmasters. I have a son who runs a village shop and post office so I know what the Post Office pays its subpostmasters; he refitted his post office so he could offer a better service to the village and received not one penny from the post office, having to pay for counters, scales, safe, that could only be bought from Post Office Counters; he even had to pay for the Post Office sign to put on the door.
He is required to work 61/2 days a week for well below the minimum wage and lives permananetly under threat that each week he could have his franchise revoked.

However this is no excuse for rudeness, insensitivity, nor insulting behaviour but it does explain why some subpostmasters are trapped in the Post Office franchise, because it is too expensive to keep going and even more costly to close.
To those who support their local post offices - good on you - would that the government who shout so loud about keeping local post offices would be as supportive.

Rant over

Norman

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Somewhere is there a tribe of people who have this rude attitude? I think they are part of a master plan to create such people for working in shops and especially as campsite [STRIKE]wardens[/STRIKE]!! holiday managers.:roflmto:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Somewhere is there a tribe of people who have this rude attitude? I think they are part of a master plan to create such people for working in shops and especially as campsite [STRIKE]wardens[/STRIKE]!! holiday managers.:roflmto:

Basically I think it's people who are trapped in jobs they don't enjoy, bored and fed up with life they take it out on the public..

In the case of campsite [STRIKE] warders[/STRIKE] wardens, small insignificant individuals all their lives, downtrodden who never achieved anything.. now in their winter years find themselves with a position of power (so they think) and let it go to their heads.

happycampers

Free Member
Sep 9, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
None but working on it
After reading the previous posts I consider us very lucky, we have a small village post office and everyone who serves behind the post office counter or in the small shop are such lovely people. Always very helpful and apologietic when they cant do something. As in the first post..... I made the same mistake and couldn't get my tax disc for the same reason but they were very professional about it and explained why and then said sorry.:Smile:

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
In defence - our village Post Office is excellent in all respects.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Blimey they get around that couple they're in our local post office as well. This guy makes Basil Faulty on his worst day seem like an angel, he's the rudest man I've ever had the misfortune to meet. Like others I'll drive 10 miles to the next town rather than give him one penny of mine and plenty of others in the village do the same. If it was'nt for the older population in the village I'm sure the PO would shut down, shame because the guy in the other PO 10 miles away is really helpfull and polite.:Smile:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I always renew my tax on line, takes two minuets, they e-mail a conformation number and the new disc arrives 3 days later Simples :Smile:

BobProperty

Free Member
May 20, 2010
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
Stewart,

I don't know what you expected her to do, you were trying to apply for tax when there was no proof of insurance.

I would have refused to renew in the same circumstances.

Lunarman
Hmm. I'd be curious to check the exact wording of the law as I think the vehicle needs to be insured when you apply, not at the start of the tax period. As it can be checked online, again, I'd be interested as to what the parameters are.

Checked: guidance says is valid on the day the tax disc comes into force.
(Bet they've changed it over the time I've been driving.)

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Hmm. I'd be curious to check the exact wording of the law as I think the vehicle needs to be insured when you apply, not at the start of the tax period. As it can be checked online, again, I'd be interested as to what the parameters are.

Checked: guidance says is valid on the day the tax disc comes into force.
(Bet they've changed it over the time I've been driving.)

Not true, go online and try it, same goes for the MOT if the tax starts on the 1st September then you need to have MOT and Insurance on that day.
Simples.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back