And the prize for the item most often bought, never used and resold goes to... (1 Viewer)

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
But why not use them more often? I'd like to know, so that I can remove it from my list if I don't really need one.
We use our awning most of the time. If it's sunny, it provides shade. If it's raining it's a relatively dry outside area.

Two problems are the wind and the ground surface. If it's very windy, it's a large surface area for the wind to catch, with enough force to rip out pegs and bend the whole thing over the top of the MH.

Also if you're on tarmac or concrete, it's not feasible to drive in pegs to hold the awning legs to the ground, so it's even more vulnerable to a gust of wind.

You can get a 'rafter' which supports the centre of the awning bar, and stops it moving in and out as the wind blows. I tried this, and found the awning bar pivots around the centre where the rafter is.

The next thing was to get two more rafters, with fittings, and attach them near the ends of the bar. The whole thing is now quite solid, and stands up well when it's a bit blustery. I peg the base of the legs with a couple of six-inch-nail-type pegs, at a slight angle. It's a bit of extra trouble, but it works for us.

If it's raining I sometimes just wind the awning out half a metre and attach the legs to clips on the MH side. Keeps the rain out of the door, and somewhere to hang the wet rainclothes.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
We're just searching for our first MoHo and one of the things on our 'Must Have' list is an awning. Why do people NOT use them, please? Thank you :)
We are on our motorhome no 3 have had awning with all, first was a sunncamp sold to a friend, had been well used but did not fit our new van and we needed to be able to used for sleeping when we took the grandchildren. We bought a Kela Tall 2 still in use several years later, the grandchildren sleep in it when we take them away and I do sometimes if too hot in the van. We eat in it when it is raining entertain friends, people watch too.
Having said that we don’t always take it and wouldn’t put it up just for 1 night. We also have a separate ‘front sheet’ fiamma which we used last week, was lovely and sunny no rain but it gave a bit of shade. We had had the Kela up the previous week.
We get 3 camp beds in it, when not using the inner tent, we leave that at home, it came with the awning, would not have bothered buying one separately.
If you are able to use your motorhome a few times without an awning, not a canopy, you will better see whether one would be useful or not. Would use a quest pop up or similar if not needed for sleeping.

Reactions: HKF

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
They are both Sunncamp Awnings. The small "day" awning was a show special and I don't know if they ever went into production with it similar to the 220 though. The other is more like the 325. Both are around 10 years old now.
This is what we use now…….
FC193A4A-B82C-4016-8E06-79D7C3B64B4E.jpeg

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
We have a wind out Omnistor and we have the Thule G3 Residence sides, front and floor. Use it all the time. Any time we stay somewhere more than two nights, then the full G3 goes up.
20210415_080947.jpg

And if it is windy, I put out four ratchet storm straps. The whole thing is as rigid as a brick built tank, once properly up.

It depends wholly on how you use your bus. If you rarely stay somewhere more than 3 nights, a front and sides awning may not be for you.

However, we have no need for a genny. Always try for an EHU. If we had no EHU and absolutely had to use three pin leccy, then we have an inverter. But if you are wild camping, presumably you are there for the 'wildness'? i.e. the peace and quiet? So why would you want a genny or motorhome engine rumbling in the background?

Solar panel and don't use anything that needs a 3 pin plug.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
Ah-ha, I just realised there are different interpretations in the meaning of 'awning' :) I'm going on the French description (I live in France :) ) which mean just the wind-out bit :)
We’ve never regretted having a wind-out awning (let’s call other solutions “side tents”). It’s a great place to sit under on otherwise dewy evenings and they give good shade on hot sunny days.

As others have said, there is a payload implication, so you’ll need to make sure you have enough before fitting one. Insist on having the van weighed before you pay a penny. Jim has written a few helpful articles on this subject.

Windy conditions can also be tricky, and you have to play it by ear. We don’t, as a rule, leave ours out at night, unless conditions are forecast to be still. We never leave it extended when the van is unattended for more than a few minutes.

You also need to be mindful of rain, making sure that there is a sideways ‘fall’ so rainwater can drain off (basically, have one leg shorter than the other).

Overall, as long as you bear these caveats in mind, you won’t regret having a wind-out awning on your list!

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Use our awning all the time except when using an Aire. And when it’s too windy but as others have mentioned with a set of storm straps not an issue that often. Also use it to sit under when it rains. Also have a sun shade that slips into the front of the awning for when we are in Southern Europe, keeps us and the Motorhome cooler.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Wouldn't they still get used if you park and want to sit out in the shade, though? I'm not being awkward, I'm genuinely interested in hearing why they wouldn't be used.
I guess you are a caravanner at heart, why on earth would you want to cart a ton of weight around spend half a day putting it up and and packing it away when you are only there for a day or 2? We have a wind out one but rarely use it except in extreme heat to use as shade. I can understand if you are on site in Spain say for 2-3 months over winter but cannot fathom any other time.

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
When the weather is playing ball, their excellent.
Mike

Attachments

• 20210718_155735.jpg
    20210718_155735.jpg
    999.9 KB · Views: 58
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I guess you are a caravanner at heart, why on earth would you want to cart a ton of weight around spend half a day putting it up and and packing it away when you are only there for a day or 2? We have a wind out one but rarely use it except in extreme heat to use as shade. I can understand if you are on site in Spain say for 2-3 months over winter but cannot fathom any other time.
Which is what she is talking abot the wind out bit.nothing else.

Reactions: HKF
Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp

I don't agree that it is that cut and dried.
There are no rules on how you should use your motorhome. Some stop and go, stop a bit, then go, then stop for a week. Not everyone does this.

We generally take five days to get down to the Med or Adriatic. Once there, we stay on a serviced site for a week to nine days. So the G3 goes up. We have been towing a small car but are now getting a little trailer for the excess weight. And then we will likely get a zip on/off awning.

It is all about what suits you, but I think that the OP has made a bit of a sweeping statement! We love our awning and use it all the time.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
I don't agree that it is that cut and dried.
There are no rules on how you should use your motorhome. Some stop and go, stop a bit, then go, then stop for a week. Not everyone does this.

We generally take five days to get down to the Med or Adriatic. Once there, we stay on a serviced site for a week to nine days. So the G3 goes up. We have been towing a small car but are now getting a little trailer for the excess weight. And then we will likely get a zip on/off awning.

It is all about what suits you, but I think that the OP has made a bit of a sweeping statement! We love our awning and use it all the time.
So you are really a caravanner?;)

Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
I was a tugger, yeah ::bigsmile:, three years. But we didn't get the use out of it. Now, we frequently just take off with the bus and some stuff in the garage. The car only goes for the bigger gigs, and maybe not at all once we have a new trailer.

The Bailey box got out two or three times a year. The Rimor bus drives out up to eight times a year depending on Covidity, obv.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Ah-ha, I just realised there are different interpretations in the meaning of 'awning' :) I'm going on the French description (I live in France :) ) which mean just the wind-out bit :)

The Sun, even in France, is not directly overhead, even in High Summer.
The shade afforded by an awning is not therefore immediately under the canopy.
Depending where you park the van, you will find that the shade is either covering the van itself or towards the front or rear of the van.
If the Sun is shining on the opposite side to the awning then the van itself will provide the shade.
You will also find that the rear of the van could give you shade if the Sun is shining on the front of the van.

Put it this way. Our last van didn't come with a wind out and it was, at that time a 'Must Buy.'

With the benefit of hindsight, we would not have bought it. (And in our case it did impact on payload.)

Hope this helps.

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
At risk of stating the bleedin' obvious - use your internet to get up-to-date weather forecasts for your area. The accuracy of these over 48 hours is spot-on these days. It will help you decide if you want to leave the awning out overnight and sleep easily as well.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
We used our 5mtr wind out awning for the 3rd time in 3.5 years a couple of weeks ago when on a Fun Rally with extreme heat.:cool:(y)
Trust me you really needed some shade during the day, it was almost an essential extra piece of kit.
But there is always something to learn/buy in this motor homing lark isn't there?
1. Some put them out as rain breaks, we didn't before as were scared of winding them in damp causing mould issues, but I think we will in the future as it keeps the outside stuff dryer.
2. Whilst hammering in the large metal pegs with ratchet straps, a helpful more experienced Funster, said " You should have got the pegs with springs on as it allows a bit of slack when the wind hits the awning.:doh:
3. Most on site despite the Sahara weather conditions, still wound their awnings in every night despite there being no wind at bedtime. They say they are fed up with having to get up to wind them back in when the wind had picked up in the early hours. Fair enough I thought, its a gamble that only you can decide on at the time, even with no hint of any wind on the horizon.
4. Many had their wind out awnings out, but also had a front sheet to offer more shade, we never noticed these before, but they look like a great idea, something else to buy in the future I guess.
5. The quest pop ups seemed very popular, even in addition to the wind out awnings, now that's a harder decision for us to make as apart from Fun Rallies we dont tend to stay anywhere longer than 1/2 nights, and we dont have any dogs to keep cool or dry.

Its easy to see why most of us buy stuff thinking that's a great idea, only to discover that we never get a chance to use it, so it gets demoted to the shed at home.
LES

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
Most of us move on, on a regular basis. That's what's best about MoHo's.
Putting up and taking down awnings is such a faff unless you intend staying a week plus in the same place.
It can also means you have find a alternate method of emptying and filling with water and carrying the cassette a to the dump.
Yes. That was our experience. We got one, didn't like it when we first tried to put it up and took it back. Luckily they'd damaged it when unpacking it themselves so we got our money back.
It depends what sort of motorhoming you want to do and where you want to go.
If you need a lot of extra space for family gatherings then maybe it's a good idea., particularly if you're planning to stay in one place for more than a week. They're fiddly to put up and heavy as has already been said.
We have the Fiamma pull out awning which is just a sun shade on two legs. We have some netting to attach to the sides if we're in a hot country and need the shade but haven't used that much. The pull out awning is good for shading the mh and helping to keep it cooler and for sheltering from the rain.

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
We’ve got a wind out awning, but also always bring it in at night, whatever the forecast! As it’s attached to the van it creaks & flaps noisily in the slightest breeze, & we have also had one too many fights with it in our nothings in the middle of the night (& on one memorable occasion, whilst it was also pouring with rain)! Not what I like to be doing in the small hours! 🤣😂

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
At risk of stating the bleedin' obvious - use your internet to get up-to-date weather forecasts for your area. The accuracy of these over 48 hours is spot-on these days. It will help you decide if you want to leave the awning out overnight and sleep easily as well.
Weather forecasts cannot predict ‘microbursts’ or sudden strong gusts of wind…..and it only takes one to demolish your wind-out…… o_O

Apr 7, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 580
Exp
Since 2002
No choice with having a wind-out sun canopy or not on our Autotrail as it’s integral to the body. A couple of weeks ago my seamstress quickly knocked up some additional shades for the front which work brilliantly but do keep the heat in a bit.

Attachments

• A2EA5B06-891A-439E-9537-B4D8F54671FD.jpeg
    A2EA5B06-891A-439E-9537-B4D8F54671FD.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 33
Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
Also, not a good idea to leave them out of away from your ‘van, or at night, in case of strong winds, and associated damage! o_O
Use storm straps. I use the ratchet straps with hooks attached securely to the front “beam” people pegged with eh springs and large ground spikes. No more than five minutes to put away also not a faff to me.Caravnners using the traditional threaded into the awning channel have a much longer stow away time asa you have to fold everything in to the storage bag and do not do it when wet as it can be forgotten about. Roll-outs do not suffer in the same way apparently.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Wouldn't they still get used if you park and want to sit out in the shade, though? I'm not being awkward, I'm genuinely interested in hearing why they wouldn't be used.
Yes indeed . Always sit in the shade even at home so awning does get used a lot . Also if it rains . Wound out just a short way so door is protected when opened .

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We're just searching for our first MoHo and one of the things on our 'Must Have' list is an awning. Why do people NOT use them, please? Thank you :)
Because they choose the wrong one for how they want to use it. Most people who buy my panels for wind out canopies use them.

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We only use the wind out with windblocker end panels if it is windy. We just got fed up hauling the heavy safari room around after the children had grown up and didn’t travel with us anymore.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
To me an awning is the bit that bolts to the side of the van & winds out. The rest is just sides & front that usually zip on.
Thats a canopy my man ...the complete jobby with front and sides ...now that's an awning surely. I got one wiff me caravan only used the once

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Awnings fixed and drive away are very "marmite". I love em but use the most appropriate for job in hand. With the bongo we had 4 awnings from pull out fiamma to rear door and 2m and 6m side awnings used from 1 day to 2 weeks stays but could easily drive on and off, which we see very few others doing. With the rapido we have a wind out and a 2.4m drive away.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back