And the prize for the item most often bought, never used and resold goes to... (1 Viewer)

Jun 12, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
A class Pilote
Exp
Ah but most are described as only used once!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Do you want an attached wind-out awning, or a drive-away type, or free-standing (Quest) type…..?:unsure:

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Be aware that they can seriously eat into your payload, weighing up to 50kgs - the attached type, that is.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Most of us move on, on a regular basis. That's what's best about MoHo's.
Putting up and taking down awnings is such a faff unless you intend staying a week plus in the same place.
It can also means you have find a alternate method of emptying and filling with water and carrying the cassette a to the dump.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
But why not use them more often? I'd like to know, so that I can remove it from my list if I don't really need one.
They no like wind, wind them out 20min later you are winding them back in.
However with the really calm conditions at Stratford last week we left ours out for the first time in 10 years.

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Be aware that they can seriously eat into your payload, weighing up to 50kgs - the attached type, that is.
Is this a licence consideration or fuel consumption? Either way, it's not a problem for us and I'm sure we'd get a lot of use out of it.....but now you have me thinking again! I'm going to be interested in what others have to say :)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Awnings.

Congratulations awnings.

Closely followed by generators?

We have three awnings - two are used regularly and the third is falling to bits but still occassionaly used as a shelter at village events. The third one doesn't fit our current van. They are not the roll out awnings but the pole and nylon type - one is a drive away and there is also a small "day" awning. The first time they were put up on a site we were the entertainment but now we have it sorted and provide no entertainment value at all :)

The generators have been used when we were away (and not always by us!) - a godsend when it is needed but we don't always take one with us. We have two generators as at home power cuts are not unusual and because we need medical equipment a generator means we can remain at home rather than being evacuated if there is an overnight power cut.

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
A wind-out one :)
Depends how you will be using your motorhome. If you will be staying mainly on sites and intend to go to hot sunny countries, you will definitely use a wind out awning. If you will be using aires or off site parking, you probably wouldn’t use it much.

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Is this a licence consideration or fuel consumption? Either way, it's not a problem for us and I'm sure we'd get a lot of use out of it.....but now you have me thinking again! I'm going to be interested in what others have to say :)
Neither really - it’s just a consideration so as not to exceed your van’s payload…..

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Closely followed by generators?
only if they have wheels
We're just searching for our first MoHo and one of the things on our 'Must Have' list is an awning. Why do people NOT use them, please? Thank you :)
cos they are for caravans where you are static for 2-3 weeks whereas a MH is designed to be moved around.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
We can put our day awning up in less than 5 minutes (same to pack it away) so even if we are only overnighting on a CS or CL it will go up for the extra space and outside cooking area. Not on an aire type stop though.

Our water inlet is on the opposite side of the van to where the awning fits and it's easy to release one corner to get the cassette out if we have managed to put the awning side across the hatch.

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
We can put our day awning up in less than 5 minutes (same to pack it away) so even if we are only overnighting on a CS or CL it will go up for the extra space and outside cooking area. Not on an aire type stop though.
What do you have……? :unsure:

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
only if they have wheels

cos they are for caravans where you are static for 2-3 weeks whereas a MH is designed to be moved around.
Wouldn't they still get used if you park and want to sit out in the shade, though? I'm not being awkward, I'm genuinely interested in hearing why they wouldn't be used.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
What do you have……? :unsure:

They are both Sunncamp Awnings. The small "day" awning was a show special and I don't know if they ever went into production with it similar to the 220 though. The other is more like the 325. Both are around 10 years old now.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back