New wannabe MH owner (1 Viewer)

Jul 10, 2021
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
Newbie to motorhomes but several years caravanning
Hi all. Just joined and currently motorhomeless but can't wait to get one once my house sale goes through. Have been drooling over an Autocruise Starblazer but discovered sadly that they seem to all be over 3500kgs which is my max. Unless anyone knows differently? Or, can anyone tell me of a 4 berth van with a fixed bed over a garage that comes in at or under this weight? Preferably with a good payload as I have two dogs that weigh 70kgs between them, without all their gear, never mind mine. I can travel light but they can't. Any help or advice would be much appreciated. Thank you and look forward to learning lots from the forum.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I think four berth fixed bed and under 3.5t with lots of payload is going to be a struggle.
You don’t say why you need to keep below 3.5t but I’m presuming you don’t have a C1 licence. Is it possible to get one? That would open up lots of options.
Before you leap into purchasing make sure you read the article on payload that can be found in the Resources section (link et the top of the page).
Best of luck with your search and welcome to Fun. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hello GIF by DJ Khaled

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Why cant you go above 3500? licence maybe? the more info you can give the better your replies will be :)

OP
OP
D
Jul 10, 2021
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
Hi Clarky. Thanks for your reply. No C1 licence and 73 years old, so much easier for me to stick to 3500kgs max GVW but the more I read the more I'm finding this weight/payload issue is a minefield. Fortunately I'm not in a hurry to buy as yet, so I've got plenty of time to ask advice and do research to find the best MH to suit.

OP
OP
D
Jul 10, 2021
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
Thank you and a big hello to everyone who's taken the time to say hello to me.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Clarky. Thanks for your reply. No C1 licence and 73 years old, so much easier for me to stick to 3500kgs max GVW but the more I read the more I'm finding this weight/payload issue is a minefield. Fortunately I'm not in a hurry to buy as yet, so I've got plenty of time to ask advice and do research to find the best MH to suit.
I assume you had C1 up to age 70. If so it should be easy to get it back.
You will need a medical of course but I understand it is straightforward from there on to get it added back.
I am older than you and kept my C1 going and am now waiting for the DVLA to get their ars** in gear and send my renewal.

Richard.

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Welcome from The Cotswolds! (y)

Have a look at the Elddis Majestic 155 by way of something a little different…… No garage, but 4 berth with a rear fixed-bed. We have 4 dogs (smaller than yours though!) and the layout is (almost) perfect for us. The more ‘vans you look at and see, the more confusing it gets until one ‘clicks’ with you……:unsure:;)

OP
OP
D
Jul 10, 2021
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
Hi Clarky. Yes, took my test in '65 so had Cl but don't want the bother of medicals etc and also don't want a huge van, so GVW of 3500 will suit me fine if I can find the right one but thanks for your advice.

Hi AndyPK. Will look at your suggestion, thank you. Not so worried about the garage but from the MH's I've seen (only online admittedly), the transverse bed option, which only seems to be available above a garage, seems to give more floor space for the dogs than the fixed bed option. Also, don't like the idea of having the loo/washroom next to the fixed bed if I'm sharing the MH with a travel companion! The layout of the Autocruise Starblazer is perfect for my needs but overweight for me. Love the kitchen and washroom/loo layout and the front dining area. If I can find one smaller but otherwise same layout, bingo.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
:hiya:
I would call the Starblazer a huge MH. For all of us compromises have to be made, ours was that we didnt want a big van so we made the decision for 2 berth and never the grandchildren. Our plain Ducato van is right on the 3500 limit with just the 2 of us.
You may have to think your compromise, have room for a travelling companion and deal with having a big van and getting C1, or are you mostly on your own so set up for that and find something smaller than the Starblazer.

Last edited:

claude et maude

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2018
Kent
Funster No
MH
Hymer B664 CL
Exp
Since 2018
When the kids realised that the motorhome was actually a good idea we just arranged for them to drive down and meet us, including in France. You can increase the space available with a safari room. If that is an option it might be worth looking at something smaller/lighter.

Now, of course, they expect me to put them up in a chalet or static close by…motorhoming has suddenly become very expensive!

OP
OP
D
Jul 10, 2021
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
Thank you all for your welcome and much needed and appreciated advice. I know I can't have my dream Starblazer but there must be something out there that has a similar layout on or under 3500kgs with a half decent payload surely? I will only have a travel companion (70 kgs + gear) to start with and then it will just be me and the dogs but they weigh 70 kgs between them and with all their gear will account for at least 100 kgs I guess. If I got pulled by VOSA I could always leave the TC at the roadside! :ROFLMAO:
Will need an awning/safari room, to dry the dogs after wet walks (I expect there'll be lots of those) and a four berth is a must but not with an overcab bed as I'm/we're all too old to be climbing up and down ladders.
Sorry, I can hear the groans and maybe I'm shooting for the moon but it won't stop me looking and I've got plenty of time as the house sale isn't due to complete until late September/October. Please don't give up on me yet. :smiley:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
As you say doodlesmum there will have to be a compromise.

Perhaps you should look at the Chausson and Adria / Sunliving motorhomes as they may have something suitable with most of your wish list?

Our previous van was a Chausson at 3500kg max and we were well within that fully loaded. Our current van is a Sunliving and we uprated to 3650 when it was first registered but we are usually well under that weight. Both these vans had transverse bed over large garage (the Chausson had the more practical easibed system) and 4 travel seats. The Chausson was a 2+2 berth (2 adults in the fixed bed and a make up bed for one adult or two small children), the Sunliving has 6 berths - the fixed over garage at the back, a double drop down over the dinette and a make up with the dinette.

It might be worth having a good look round local dealers and tyre kicking so you can see what the alternatives are. When we look for a new van not only do we make a list of "must haves" but also "must not haves" and we've found the later list to be more useful :)

OP
OP
D
Jul 10, 2021
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
Thank you Puddleduck, I'll have a look at both of your suggestions, the Chausson sounds good. Really useful advice re the lists. I fear there'll be a lot of crossings out on both of mine!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I like the van we have now as no beds to make up every night!

I also sit on the bed at the back to read with my back against a bulkhead and pillows used as armrests so it isn't wasted space as I once thought - also it's used to store stuff during the day (laptop, bedding etc)

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
I like the van we have now as no beds to make up every night!

I also sit on the bed at the back to read with my back against a bulkhead and pillows used as armrests so it isn't wasted space as I once thought - also it's used to store stuff during the day (laptop, bedding etc)
Exactly as we use our fixed bed too!;)

OP
OP
D
Jul 10, 2021
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
Sounds exactly the kind of set up that I'm looking for, as long as there would still be enough floor space for the dogs. Their tails never stop wagging and I don't want them bashing the ends because they can fling the blood an awful long way. Not that I'm a glass half-ful person but trying hard to avoid worst-case scenarios!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back