Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 years
Today we had an external gas point connected on our van so we could use a Cadac Safari Chef. The gas appears to be coming through to the Cadac but the pressure is so low that I doubt we could ever cook anything. Has anybody had a problem like this? Any suggestions would be welcome as we just feel we have wasted money.

Elizabeth

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
You don't perhaps have a gas regulator on the barbie ... ?

If so, remove it, the gas form your van BBQ point is already at the correct pressure..

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
You don't perhaps have a gas regulator on the barbie ... ?

If so, remove it, the gas form your van BBQ point is already at the correct pressure..

I agree with ScotJimland that you need no extra regulator ........ check that they haven't kinked or blocked the supply pipe

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
And maybe check out the other post and report on this BBQ in case it does have a problem?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
first thing i thought......have you used the BBQ before...either on a connection point or direct from a gas bottle ?

if not it could be a fault on the BBQ.

cant really see how you could have a regulator already fitted to the BBQ as it wouldn't be possible to connect to your new gas point.
Cadac's don't have anywhere to fit a permanent regulator.

not being derogatory in any way but you do know they have a variable control knob for flame height !
could be on the lowest setting.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
My mate Mr T had a problem with his Cadac on its first outing same symtoms
gave it one more try before chucking it back at em and it worked ok that time
go figure,
Blocked jet or pipe work???
Geo

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
I have the Safari Chef BBQ and it works well from the external point on the van.

Cadac make 2 versions on the Safari chef a low pressure version to work with a regulated supply and a high pressure version to work direct from a canister. I don't suppose that you have one of these and are trying to run it from a regulated supply.

Lunarman

Swift

Banned
Sep 13, 2010
Funster No
Mine works well, although the gas is taken from the cooker which is directly behind the outside connector, so a short run :thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I have the Safari Chef BBQ and it works well from the external point on the van.

Cadac make 2 versions on the Safari chef a low pressure version to work with a regulated supply and a high pressure version to work direct from a canister. I don't suppose that you have one of these and are trying to run it from a regulated supply.

Lunarman

hence, nowhere to connect a hose for the vans connection point

OP
OP
artemis

artemis

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 years
Thanks for your replies. We have not got a regulator fitted and have had control valve fully open. My husband is busy cleaning the jets in case this is the problem. It is the version designed to work from an external point or gas bottle.
Maybe next weekend we will have solved the problem and can cook with it.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi Elizabeth, when we got ours it came with two jets a 30 MBAR in it and a 50 MBAR in a plastic bag, did your have the same? maybe the wrong jet has been fitted. :Doh:

Make sure there is not a Isolation valve only half Open between the tee on the back of the cooker supply and the BBQ point.

Have you used the Cadac since you got it straight off a gas bottle through a regulator, might be worth a try.

I'm on my second Cadac Safari Chef, and have an outside BBQ point and use 2.5m of hose on it, and never had a problem. Hope you sort your restriction out soon. :thumb: Bob.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back