What Polish? (1 Viewer)

May 10, 2016
Norwich
Funster No
MH
CI Mizar gtl living
Hi

I’ve looked through the threads and will order some 476 wax but what polish should I get to use with a Bosch polisher prior to waxing please?

thanks

Mike

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I guess that depends on what the surface is that you are polishing and how badly it needs rejuvenating.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Usually a very low cut polish as the paint is very thin and easy to burn through

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Saxon66
May 10, 2016
Norwich
Funster No
MH
CI Mizar gtl living
I was hoping for something that would work on the whole van. It’s a 2007 CI Mizar so usual Fiat Ducati cab, it has (what looks to be a fibreglass) over cab bed and then, what I guess is a grp body.

thanks

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Over the years there have been many attempts to find the 'best' polish without anyone finding an absolute best product as far as I can tell. To get a superior polished finish I think you would need to use clay to get the best starting point. After that I think they all claim to be superior. I have often wondered why Which magazine have not found the best, or have they?

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Harly Wax 👌

Don't take my word for it, look on Amazon user reviews. There are fake versions though so be careful what you buy.

Aug 25, 2016
Taynuilt, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 655 Starline
Exp
Village idiot
Harly Wax 👌

Don't take my word for it, look on Amazon user reviews. There are fake versions though so be careful what you buy.
I’m a fan also. When I had my Porsche extended midlife crisis. I always used harly wax. Good stuff lasts ages 👍😷💨🥃

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I was hoping for something that would work on the whole van. It’s a 2007 CI Mizar so usual Fiat Ducati cab, it has (what looks to be a fibreglass) over cab bed and then, what I guess is a grp body.

thanks
That’s the problem as for example GRP tends to oxidise more that paint but also the Gelcoat on the GRP overcab will be thicker than the paint on the metal cab bits so can take a more aggressive cut, I would look at a range like Farecla or Meguires and just use a fine or finish cut on the paint if it needs reviving but you could start with a medium cut on a gel coated GRP, worth noting that even if the body is GRP it doesn’t have the gel coat as the overcab area.

simples in it😏

OP
OP
Saxon66
May 10, 2016
Norwich
Funster No
MH
CI Mizar gtl living
That’s the problem as for example GRP tends to oxidise more that paint but also the Gelcoat on the GRP overcab will be thicker than the paint on the metal cab bits so can take a more aggressive cut, I would look at a range like Farecla or Meguires and just use a fine or finish cut on the paint if it needs reviving but you could start with a medium cut on a gel coated GRP, worth noting that even if the body is GRP it doesn’t have the gel coat as the overcab area.

simples in it😏
I’m beginning to think I might just wax it rather than polish it first 😃

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I’m beginning to think I might just wax it rather than polish it first 😃
That doesn't work I tried that after waxing you could feel the road grime under the wax. I had to polish and wax again. :eek:

Do the GRP bits by hand when cutting back, the Gel coat on Motorhomes is nowhere near as thick as on boats, easy to burn through with a mechanical polisher.

OP
OP
Saxon66
May 10, 2016
Norwich
Funster No
MH
CI Mizar gtl living
That doesn't work I tried that after waxing you could feel the road grime under the wax. I had to polish and wax again. :eek:

Do the GRP bits by hand when cutting back, the Gel coat on Motorhomes is nowhere near as thick as on boats, easy to burn through with a mechanical polisher.
Thanks for the advice. What polish did you use?

cheers

OP
OP
Saxon66
May 10, 2016
Norwich
Funster No
MH
CI Mizar gtl living
Hi again

Dou you ever get the feeling you’ve jumped down a rabbit hole? 😂

Thanks for all the advice. If I’m understanding this correctly (and there’s every chance I’m not), as there are probably 3 different materials and surfaces in play I should hand polish rather than machine. There is no single polish that will do the whole job perfectly so I should go for a fine cut that won’t damage anything. I’ve seen a lot of folk recommend Meguires, but which one would do the job?

thanks

Mike

Oct 4, 2019
Milford on Sea
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
It's spelt Megyars I think. They do several including a clean and polish, just polish and a wax. It's brilliant on boats so should be perfect for RV's. I use the clean and polish and do it by hand but only once a year.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi again

Dou you ever get the feeling you’ve jumped down a rabbit hole? 😂

Thanks for all the advice. If I’m understanding this correctly (and there’s every chance I’m not), as there are probably 3 different materials and surfaces in play I should hand polish rather than machine. There is no single polish that will do the whole job perfectly so I should go for a fine cut that won’t damage anything. I’ve seen a lot of folk recommend Meguires, but which one would do the job?

thanks

Mike
Every van wether coach built to A class will have multiple surface finishes as you say, I wouldn't say do it by hand as its a near impossible task if the surface really does need some correction but certainly do it with care, make sure you have a proper polishing machine and go carefully keeping the surface cool, you will need a selection of compound grades if you are doing lightly faded paint alongside a heavily oxidised fibreglass moulding, obviously the fibreglass would need a more abrasive cut to start. Something like Meguiars Ultimate compound and a soft pad would be quite gentle just to clean the surface a put a shine on.

Wabs

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Dartford
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E572
Exp
Always learning.
I would use a clay bar or mitt first,,it’s incredible what that stuff removes,,then a meguires polish,then wax. If you need to use a machine polisher DONT use an orbital it builds iup too much heat and will burn the coat,try a dual action polisher with various speeds.(y)

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
Maybe use a DA random orbital polisher as opposed to a rotary one because they are a little more gentle and forgiving!

Wabs

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Dartford
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E572
Exp
Always learning.
It’s all about process,wash/ clay/ polish/ wax I would avoid doing it all by hand as you will doing it forever.lol

Mr Rusty

Free Member
Apr 13, 2012
Bedford
Funster No
MH
Burstner 690G
Exp
Since 1986
Having looked on a lot of car detailing forums, and reading magazine reviews on various cleaners and polishers Bilt Hamber products seemed to have good reviews, and are reasonably priced. I contacted them specifically asking for their recommendations for a coach built motorhome (aluminium sides, fibreglass roof). Their reply was - Surf HD (diluted) to clean the van, cleaner polish next followed by double speed wax. I used these on the van late last year and have to say I am pleased with the results, water is still beading several months later.

OP
OP
Saxon66
May 10, 2016
Norwich
Funster No
MH
CI Mizar gtl living
Thanks folks and sorry for all the questions.

Ive ordered some Meguiars Ultimate and some hand applicators. Then I’ll finish with 476 wax.

I have a Bosch random orbit sander that says it can be used for polishing/waxing but from the replies, maybe this isn’t the best tool for the job.

cheers

Wabs

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Dartford
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E572
Exp
Always learning.
Thanks folks and sorry for all the questions.

Ive ordered some Meguiars Ultimate and some hand applicators. Then I’ll finish with 476 wax.

I have a Bosch random orbit sander that says it can be used for polishing/waxing but from the replies, maybe this isn’t the best tool for the job.

cheers
Hi Saxon,,I’ve done quite a bit of vehicle detailing,so if you get stuck or need any advice just message me,I’ll help if I can ,,good luck

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back