Storage lockdown (1 Viewer)

Jan 28, 2016
Stockport, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bravaria i740 AClass
Cant get access to Motorhome as locked in storage. When is the date that I can argue i can get access to my moho. We have booked a weekend away 16th of April but want to get it out to see what work is required re batteries etc

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
It’s your motorhome . Why on earth can’t you get access to it ? I hope you are not being charged for this . What happens it you need an MOT doing ? Have you complained to the storage company ?

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
I picked mine up today,used it to continue my journey to work ( storage is en route)
Tomorrow its going for a warranty repair locally (2 miles)
I cant contemplate the notion of being denied access to it

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
Our storage has never been closed, they have caravans and motor homes there and we’ve seen people every time we’ve gone

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Simon Meadwell
Jan 28, 2016
Stockport, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bravaria i740 AClass
Its a working farm and they just wont allow access. If i demanded access it would be well dont bring it back attitude. No contract so not much bargaining power. Its very local to us, secure and reasonably priced plus the only place available so stuck between a rock and a hard place. I just want to know the date so when i ring for access i am correct and i can get access. In normal times its great no problem.

Aug 19, 2007
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Tribute 615T sport
Exp
17 years + since 2006
From 29th March.
As a result of these changes, people will no longer be legally required to Stay at Home. Many of the lockdown restrictions, however, will remain in place. Unless an exemption already applies, it will not be possible to meet people from other households indoors and many business premises will remain shut. Guidance will set out that people should continue to work from home where they can. People should continue to minimise travel wherever possible, and should not be staying away from home overnight at this stage.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
12th April

From this date self catered holiday accommodation is allowed to open.
A MoHo is self catered holiday accommodation.

12th April is also the first date Camp sites are permitted to open (for self sustained MoHo's and caravans only, no public loos or showers)

Aug 19, 2007
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Tribute 615T sport
Exp
17 years + since 2006
12th April

From this date self catered holiday accommodation is allowed to open.
A MoHo is self catered holiday accommodation.

12th April is also the first date Camp sites are permitted to open (for self sustained MoHo's and caravans only, no public loos or showers)
Not for Haven touring breaks.
  1. Broken Link Removed
  2. Broken Link Removed
  3. Broken Link Removed
  4. England: touring breaks up to Sunday 16th May

Following the latest Government announcement as to when holiday parks can open in England, we've made the difficult decision to close our English parks for touring breaks up to and including Sunday 16th May.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
This is very very similar to a recent thread that basically said I know I can't do this because of lockdown but if I ask the question some Funsters may say "yea go for it .. twist the rules .. you will be fine.. . Yep you might be still alive BUT what about those you came in touch with.
REMEMBER.. 1 in 3 people have Covid BUT have no symptoms....
Come on folks.. let's get serious and think about this and not just your selfious attitude.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Not for Haven touring breaks.
  1. Broken Link Removed
  2. Broken Link Removed
  3. Broken Link Removed
  4. England: touring breaks up to Sunday 16th May

Following the latest Government announcement as to when holiday parks can open in England, we've made the difficult decision to close our English parks for touring breaks up to and including Sunday 16th May.
Haven, Centre Parks, Butlins etc are different.
Although they have self catering accommodation they have big central areas, pools, shops, disco's and restaurants where everyone is encouraged to mingle (and where they make their money).
Hence they all 'park' type centres are remaining closed for now.

However go that a look at Cottages.com, with 30,000+ privately owned cottages all over the UK.
They are all available from the 12 of April (and many are now booked from that date)

The advantage of a self catered cottage (or motorhome) is that all that is happening is you are moving people locked down in one area of the country to being locked down in another area.

Overall this would reduce the spread of the virus, as the people would typically come from crowded cities the cottages (or MoHo Campsites) are mostly in coastal towns and rural areas.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
If the storage company won’t give you access they have effectively stolen your vehicle.

The rest is down to “the luck of the draw”as it depends on where you are and how the local coppers have been told to interpret the law in their opinion.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Stay at home (until 29 March), unless it’s for a permissible reason.

Difficult to see that it would be a permissible reason. 🤷‍♂️

Ian

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Stay at home (until 29 March), unless it’s for a permissible reason.

Difficult to see that it would be a permissible reason. 🤷‍♂️

Ian
And that’s the problem........what are the permissible reasons? Can one take ones van to a garage to be serviced?

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
And that’s the problem........what are the permissible reasons? Can one take ones van to a garage to be serviced?

It’s all here:

DB2CB9DB-032F-4358-8D59-E1FE1C78118F.png

Ian 👍

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Its a working farm and they just wont allow access. If i demanded access it would be well dont bring it back attitude. No contract so not much bargaining power. Its very local to us, secure and reasonably priced plus the only place available so stuck between a rock and a hard place. I just want to know the date so when i ring for access i am correct and i can get access. In normal times its great no problem.
Maybe call and tell him you need some work doing and need access?
absolutely.

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
I use a CASSOA registered site and they emailed me to say access was open for 'essential maintenance' and vehicles could be removed. There is no contact with anyone as all barriers are electronic. I am aware of a new motorhome being delivered by a dealer to the site and caravans receiving annual maintenance on site.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
This morning I went on the Police 101 chatline,and asked the question: Am I allowed to take my motorhome to a garage to be serviced. Within County,but 30 miles away.

They replied: “We are not allowed to advise you,contact the garage and they should know what the rules are”

Well that’s about as much use as a chocolate teapot. Totally and utterly useless.

Im trying to get through to the garage on the phone.

OP
OP
Simon Meadwell
Jan 28, 2016
Stockport, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bravaria i740 AClass
I have been to the storage yard believe it or not to pay them they ssnt the bill. The owner said we cant let you in we are not insured . Dont know what he meant by that but nobody is getting in and dont know when we can access van .

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Got Flora (that’s Flora the Explorer) out of storage this morning.
Essential journey as contract was to keep it there until end of this month,and they needed the space.
Nice to have her back in the garden.....now it’s time to wash and polish! :giggle: :giggle:

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I have been to the storage yard believe it or not to pay them they ssnt the bill. The owner said we cant let you in we are not insured . Dont know what he meant by that but nobody is getting in and dont know when we can access van .
Hi Simon
We used to store our caravan years ago on a farm down in North Devon, it was Cassoa Gold rated as it was easy to see why, as the security from all aspects was superb. We elected to pay a slightly higher rate to have the van parked inside one of the massive metal barns to keep it dry and protected from the elements.
No access was allowed inside the storage area, "for insurance purposes" which meant that their public liability cover only allowed for "authorised staff" inside the inner perimeter.
Proof that the van had its own insurance each year by way of a copied insurance doc was kept by the owners on file for each van.
If you wanted to visit the van for what ever reason, then you had to pay a tow in & out charge of £8.50 at the time, whereupon the van would be towed out and set up on a pitch in the camping field if one was available.
The owners were very friendly, they cared about their customers, and their premises, hence why they always had a long waiting list despite storing well over 300 vans.
I did learn that if we had stored the van on part of their "outside pitches" with a less stricter regime insurance wise, then provided we gave notice of our intended visit, they may well have allowed us access to the van, to check it over, or remove items etc.
So even though I would use & recommend them if ever the need arose in the future, I think that there may well be an access denial, unless you were intending to remove the van or indeed place it back in storage, but under management supervision of course.
I hope you can get access to your van, your site seems to be overly strict in not suggesting a mutually acceptable method of access, even in "Normal" times.
Good luck.
LES

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
This thread has made me realise how lucky we are with our storage site.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
This thread has made me realise how lucky we are with our storage site.
.... and ours.
Even at the height of the lockdowns we moved our van off and back on the storage site several times (family emergency).
Despite both of the site owners in full shielding mode, we still maintained 24x7 access.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back