Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Hello Funsters

Some of you may be aware that we’ve postponed our trip to France and Spain and have now opted for a UK holiday.
It looks like we’ve bagged the last pitch that was available for our 10 nights in August at a nice site on the outskirts of Padstow.
We’ve been before to this site, albeit a long time ago and in an old VW campervan.
Although it has its own stretch of private beach, it’s a bus or taxi ride from the centre of Padstow, so this year, our plans were to hire a car for 5 to 7 days as going out for the day in a near 9m Motorhome may be a little different to a 1974 VW on country lanes in Cornwall.
I’m currently trying to find an ‘affordable’ hire car and preferably to collect in Padstow rather than to trail to Newquay airport to collect.
What has surprised me is upon reading the campsites rules, they charge £5 per night extra for an additional car.
Additional cars must be parked within your pitch boundary.

So why charge extra?
I could understand it if it was to be parked in their car park, but if you are paying for the pitch, shouldn’t it matter what you fill that pitch with?

Incidentally, they also charge for gazebos. (Not that we are taking one) Again, if it goes on your pitch, why charge extra?
They don’t allow group bookings, so that cancels out the scenario of loads of cars relating to one group on a pitch.

So a car and caravan don’t get charged, but a Motorhome with car does.
Yet a car, tent and trailer is ok.
I don’t understand this.

So my little run around car hire will cost an extra £35 before we’ve even started.

BTW, we are paying £46.00 per night for the 10night stay for the pitch with electric, 2 adults & 1 child.
Any ideas what the thought process is behind additional charges on sites?

Thenandier by the Sea

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
A favourite site of ours has just been sold, always charged a flat rate for the pitch, whatever you put on it, no charge for dogs, and a dog wash area provided, no charge for children etc, always full and turned a good living / profit, they have retired to Spain.
New owners now charge for dogs, awnings, additional people above 2, additional cars,
When asked why the response was, we are just bringing this park up to "Industry Standards"
Used it for years with caravan and the MH if we wanted a quiet break,
need to look somewhere else now, may be a chance to visit new areas

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
A favourite site of ours has just been sold, always charged a flat rate for the pitch, whatever you put on it, no charge for dogs, and a dog wash area provided, no charge for children etc, always full and turned a good living / profit, they have retired to Spain.
New owners now charge for dogs, awnings, additional people above 2, additional cars,
When asked why the response was, we are just bringing this park up to "Industry Standards"
May be brought it with a big loan and need to pay it back somehow. Lots of people running on credit now days, not many with money in their back pocket.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Well our campsite was closed for four months last year, 1/3 of the year. We didn't furlough the staff as the site needs to be maintained, stuff still grows.

We will be closed at least three months this year, a minimum, of a 1/4 of the year, again, with the wardens working

We are receiving masses enquiries from people hoping to come from Easter onwards, many new to camping from what they say.

Have we increased our prices to help earn enough money to hopefully start to fill the hole left by seven months forced closure? when we are in a period of unprecedented demand

Yes of course we will

Or would people expect us to financially pretend that the seven months closed didn't happen and prefer some less well funded campsites go bust, close and make supply and demand drive up the prices even higher in an ever dwindling supply as more and more sites go over to Glamping, Yurts, Pods, lodges and Statics?

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
Pure greed, Simples, Cornwall is notorious for it all they like about us is our money.
Many sites charge for extra vehicles and often the norm in Europe, no matter whether on special parking areas or on the pitch. Their rules, so you either take it or leave it as you get the choice.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU.

To all the posters on here who have enlightened me to all the charges levied by campsites, whether justified or not.

We have occasionally used sites(6 times) but always on the Continent and max €18 (in Avignon) with no add-ons.

If we do go to a campsite we doo nt use their facilities(Toilets/showers etc. only water and dump) so we would get royally ripped off.

We prefer Aires or wilding and will stick to that, or if we were in UK CS/CL.

But thanks again for the insight to charges.

Geoff
Why do people not get it, campsites are there to provide a service for which you pay whether you use all of their facilities or very little. We used a pitch in Germany last year without ever once going into the washing facilities, relying on our own for our own covid protection. did we complain, of course not, as we were glad of a nice quiet site close to a lake for swimming and shops for food, etc but it was our choice. Please can people stop whingeing, times have changed and the sites are a business, even CL’s in many cases.

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
Lastsummer we booked a site 6 months before we planned to be there.
I had it on email £25 a night , the week before we arrived she rang to check that we where still coming as they hadn’t taken a deposit and then tried to charge me £35 a night when we arrived.
I politely refused instead offered the original £25 a night which they accepted with the statement your lucky with all these staycation folk we could have sold your pitch 10 times over.
I didn’t feel lucky I felt slightly miffed.
Great few days though.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Have they spent any monies to improve the site?

Kozikot

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Newbie ish...
£46 a night? That’s into bed and breakfast territory for the honor of parking on someone else’s land. Far too expensive I’m afraid.
B+B in Padstow in August for £46 a Night, think you can Double that and still be a tad light...

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
It’s no different for charging for a dog.

I can’t get my head around that one either.
Anyone that doesn’t clean up after their dog wants their arse kicking anyway.

I guess it’s like the Dire Straights lyrics money for nothing 🤷‍♂️
They do normally provide for dogs - an exercise area for example. A car costs them nothing.

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
Well our campsite was closed for four months last year, 1/3 of the year. We didn't furlough the staff as the site needs to be maintained, stuff still grows.

We will be closed at least three months this year, a minimum, of a 1/4 of the year, again, with the wardens working

We are receiving masses enquiries from people hoping to come from Easter onwards, many new to camping from what they say.

Have we increased our prices to help earn enough money to hopefully start to fill the hole left by seven months forced closure? when we are in a period of unprecedented demand

Yes of course we will

Or would people expect us to financially pretend that the seven months closed didn't happen and prefer some less well funded campsites go bust, close and make supply and demand drive up the prices even higher in an ever dwindling supply as more and more sites go over to Glamping, Yurts, Pods, lodges and Statics?
You're already the most expensive site we've stayed on.

Last time it was about £1,500 for 2 nights!

But you did through in a free alarm, and tracker.

Phileas Fogg

Free Member
Apr 27, 2014
west of the tamar
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Hope to make it to Europe this year but who knows. What does concern me is last year Cornwall was packed in the peak with camper vans and motorhomes arriving with no pre arranged stopover and overnighting where they could often abusing their surroundings. The locals were rightly getting upset which of course reflects on all of us. This year threatens to be worse and it is a simple commercial fact prices will rise accordingly for the best locations.

Everything has a market rate, if you want to come to one of the most desirable tourist counties in the UK in peak season then you are going to have to pay for it. You cannot compare prices to a location which does not have the same demand.

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
I’m afraid that, being near Padstow, the site can probably afford to alienate the entire customer base each year, knowing that others will still keep coming the following...
errr where's Padstow :unsure: I recon a free Aire in the sunshine in France/Spain with a sea view (even taking into account all the extra costs due to Brexit) will cost me considerably less for a couple of months than a fortnight in Padstow.
I have of course got the time now which I appreciate is not always available to all and sundry but if I die tomorrow I won't miss Padstow !!!
Best of luck to Padstow and the like, when lockdown ends I hope people spend their hard earned in Europe,(y):LOL::LOL::LOL:

It is after all what they deserve.

Oh and you've probably guessed by now I'll stay at home for the next 2 years before I'll be ripped off by greedy parasites.:rolleyes:

been their, got the tee-shirt:(

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
A local site we use a lot for quick weekends charges for gazebos, I have been going for years...they explained that whilst the majority of people would consider 3mx3m a gazebo there are people who class a 9mx6m marquee as a gazebo
Coupled with the usual 'sorry mate I thought my tent was 6mx4m' after they have erected a 12mx10m over 3 pitches
They see it as a deterrent to those who would join 4 tents and a marquee together and open a nightclub with the feral kids thrown outside

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I believe many others have made this same point, that is if holidaying the UK were the only option my motorhome would up for sale tomorrow.
Since the days of my 1972 VW conversation I soon learnt the UK was far to expensive, afford it or not.
Add together running costs, depreciation, and capital investment, staying at a hotel was far less expensive.
Should customers continue to book and pay for these site's what is the ultimate outcome, in my view continued high fees, poor or indifferent customer service are the most likely regretfully.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Just done the Math? (Sorry, hate the phrase)

14nights @ £46 per night, Padstow = £644
Ferry (BF Ply. Roscoff,1/8 to 15/8) = £635 (Assume <8mt. Van, 2 Pers.)

I could then go on about, better eateries, better weather, more space etc

I know which one we would choose if August etc. was the only time we could holiday.

Ian.s

Free Member
Jan 18, 2016
Oban
Funster No
MH
Rs Endeavour
Exp
Since 1991
I hear so many times that we charge for a piece of grass. We really dont, You can cook a good steak meal at home for about six to eight quid yet when you go to a restaurant you will pay thirty, We all do it and dont complain. You can park in your drive way for next to nothing or a "field" high summer for about thirty to forty quid. Your choice. You are paying for the very expensive service provided. The sewage treatment, water and business rates, Toilet facilities, booking staff wages, lawn mowers and strimmers, fuel, health and safety, web sites, advertising, rubbish disposal etc etc etc. Book the pitch or dont but stop belly aching about. There will be some great package holidays available very soon. My advise to those that dont want to pay the very reasonable prices chrarged for a very short season myself and my staff will happily wish you Bon voyage........ Rant over

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
I think that the OP wasn't complaining about the site fees per se but the extras for which there appears to be no logic compared with, say, a car and caravan against a motorhome + car. The car and caravan combination usually has a big car which tows an equally big caravan quite often with an even bigger awning whereas the motorhome usually has a small, environmentally friendly car. Both cars will occupy a space on the pitch alongside a static caravan/motorhome and will in all probability leave and return to that pitch with similar frequency, the only difference being that one car will be large and one small. The "additional" car takes up no more space (in fact probably less) and uses no other facility. So where is the justification for charging the motorhome/car combi more than the car/caravan one?

Mar 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
I think that the OP wasn't complaining about the site fees per se but the extras for which there appears to be no logic compared with, say, a car and caravan against a motorhome + car. The car and caravan combination usually has a big car which tows an equally big caravan quite often with an even bigger awning whereas the motorhome usually has a small, environmentally friendly car. Both cars will occupy a space on the pitch alongside a static caravan/motorhome and will in all probability leave and return to that pitch with similar frequency, the only difference being that one car will be large and one small. The "additional" car takes up no more space (in fact probably less) and uses no other facility. So where is the justification for charging the motorhome/car combi more than the car/caravan one?
A caravan absolutely must have a tug, a motorhome. does not so another vehicle is an extra. Got that? Good! now can we please shut up about it

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Nice try but that won't wash. What facilities and space does the m/home car take over the car/caravan? How does it cost the site owners more?

Ian.s

Free Member
Jan 18, 2016
Oban
Funster No
MH
Rs Endeavour
Exp
Since 1991
You are quite right re original post and have to agree with the OP. Charging for a car would not sit well with me and agree that that could be seen as an over charge. I suppose my gripe is mainly aimed at the "price for just parking in a field" comments on this post and many others. ill informed naivety grinds my gears. I was asked to pay six euros for taking my scooter out of my garage, I told my wife id rather walk and put it back. Original Op has my sympathies but the rules are the rules. Whats the line in that song. "should I stay or should I go"

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
Has the OP asked the site specifically about the 'extra car' ?
Any site I have been on that charges states in the small print that one car is permitted per pitch (no matter what your sleeping unit is) so the 'extra car' is not your tugger or toad

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
B+B in Padstow in August for £46 a Night, think you can Double that and still be a tad light...
Agreed
A caravan absolutely must have a tug, a motorhome. does not so another vehicle is an extra. Got that? Good! now can we please shut up about it
Rather than “shut up about it “ as you suggest , I would rather understand the logic here . Why should a motorhome pay extra for 2 vehicles taking up the same or less space than a caravan and a car ? This doesn’t seem right to me .

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
Also awnings, as long as they do not extend beyond the pitch paid for why charge extra, that is my gripe

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
I do wonder how many sites manage to cover their costs, let alone make a profit, and smaller CL / CS sites I suspect are little more than a hobby for the owner. There is an objection by many on here to paying out for even a piece of grass.

Without adding in the physical cost of land purchase and ownership, or the cost of building facilities (even the basic water tap and elsan), just the operating costs would make me wonder.

Someone has to be available to check the site. You may only have 5 pitches for that CL, but if visitors are there for an average 2-3 days, you've probably got at least one check in a day, yet the arrival time will be variable so someone is on standby most afternoons - even if that is the site owner they should still award themselves minimum wage equivalent, and think of the add on employment costs. Meanwhile they might be able to turn their hand to grass cutting whilst waiting (wear and tear on the mower, and it's fuel cost), or some add hoc maintenance repair (expenses for materials). That elsan will be attracting sewerage costs. Water is probably metered. Refuse disposal from the site will be considered commercial waste and chargeable. Oh that field now has some form of use - are there rates payable? Larger sites have costs for cleaning the facilities blocks along with water heating and lighting. If you've added EHU points, even when they aren't used there is a standing cost to keep them tested and maintained. Get to a certain size and you'll need staff to be covering for when you want time off (are you going to do a 7 day week?). Now there is back room costs of dealing with booking enquiries, your own accounting, are you going to shell out for any advertising, licencing fees, and suchlike.

Provided the site owner is clear up front as to what might be considered extras, you can work out what your cost will be for your stay. Personally, I prefer the model where I am able to pay for the basic pitch and then decide what extras I might want, rather than having to pay more for stuff I don't need or want.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back