MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Thanks for that

Might well try that this year.

Guess you have to prebook rangitira

Thanks

edit I’m happy to pay the Rugby club for staying there.
The bloke that looks after the car park is old school 👍😊

edit 2 do you recommend any particular site 😊

We stayed in a privately owned Static top of the hill in Coverack.

There is however a site near to Goonhilly almost on the A3083 can't remember the name of it though.

We were there 5 years ago now, and it was pretty bleak then , I believe the Motor Caravan Club used to hold a rally there, don't know if they still do.
There's one either this month or next month at least 53 vans attending (Local fella that runs the chippie in Coverack told me they have booked 53 Fish&Chips suppers with him)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU.

To all the posters on here who have enlightened me to all the charges levied by campsites, whether justified or not.

We have occasionally used sites(6 times) but always on the Continent and max €18 (in Avignon) with no add-ons.

If we do go to a campsite we doo nt use their facilities(Toilets/showers etc. only water and dump) so we would get royally ripped off.

We prefer Aires or wilding and will stick to that, or if we were in UK CS/CL.

But thanks again for the insight to charges.

Geoff

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Is that Ayr Holiday Park?
Just had a look at the prices in August for site that I love to hate.
Per night Pitch £24.50, EHU 6.75, Adult £10.50, child £5.25, Dog £4.75, So a family of 4 with a dog would be £58 per night!!! But one car is included 😀

We stayed on Ayr every year for over 10 yrs, the first part of the site, (opposite the shower block) is excellent though down by the wall if it rains that will get muddy, the other fields after a little rainfall turn in to a quagmire, the site was always well kept until the manager Chris passed away that was about 5 years ago since then the site has gone right down.
Yes the view is amazing but at those prices not for us anymore.

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU.

To all the posters on here who have enlightened me to all the charges levied by campsites, whether justified or not.

We have occasionally used sites(6 times) but always on the Continent and max €18 (in Avignon) with no add-ons.

If we do go to a campsite we doo nt use their facilities(Toilets/showers etc. only water and dump) so we would get royally ripped off.

We prefer Aires or wilding and will stick to that, or if we were in UK CS/CL.

But thanks again for the insight to charges.

Geoff

Agreed. Hence the virtually exclusive use of our ACSI card!

Jonesy_103

Free Member
Jun 16, 2013
WARKS
Funster No
MH
Carado T447
Exp
Since 2013
Hello Funsters

I’m currently trying to find an ‘affordable’ hire car and preferably to collect in Padstow rather than to trail to Newquay airport to collect.

Same for us, we have a pitch but don’t really want to move the van once we’re on site. Have you managed to find a car hire company in Padstow ? The closest I’ve found was Wadebridge

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Posted by 'Ironside' on another thread

"Found this place and thought I would leave my comments here for anybody looking for a beautiful stop at €12 a night.
Beautiful location in the Tabernas desert, Great hosts Julie & Thomas who gave us a fantastic welcome and made us feel at ease straight away. The site has a lovely pool,small bar and a little shop selling provisions,Gardens and surrounding area are immaculate, Toilets are spotlessly clean and the showers are amazing best we have come across. Electricity water and grey/black drop inc.in price 10/10"

Compare this with some of the prices quoted in this thread.

Geoff

OP
OP
GAVLAD
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Posted by 'Ironside' on another thread

"Found this place and thought I would leave my comments here for anybody looking for a beautiful stop at €12 a night.
Beautiful location in the Tabernas desert, Great hosts Julie & Thomas who gave us a fantastic welcome and made us feel at ease straight away. The site has a lovely pool,small bar and a little shop selling provisions,Gardens and surrounding area are immaculate, Toilets are spotlessly clean and the showers are amazing best we have come across. Electricity water and grey/black drop inc.in price 10/10"

Compare this with some of the prices quoted in this thread.

Geoff
I’ve not heard of the Tabernas desert - where abouts is it please?

Oct 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Bischoff Ar
Exp
Since 2016
Regarding your car hire, I can truly recommend Cornwall Car Hire. We have used them for the past 3 years, and happily deliver the car to your site (in our case Carnon Downs), and collect at the end of hire. Great cars, often an upgrade, and easy folk to deal with. Worth giving them a call.

OP
OP
GAVLAD
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Thank you Sandyt
I’ve just booked through AB car hire who will deliver.
Enterprise who advertise a pick up and drop off service have cancelled this facility due to Corona and what was a slight concern was when I phoned and spoke with their Bodmin office to ask how easy was public transport between Padstow and Bodmin? The reply was I haven’t a clue, I don’t know where Padstow is! I commute from Plymouth to this office in Bodmin and back and that’s all I know about travelling.

I will bear it in mind though for next time for using Cornwall C.H.

Incidentally, the site have yet to reply regarding my email asking what the difference was between a car & caravan against a Motorhome & car by way of additional fees.
They have sent 2 emails reminding that the balance is due though.

LeoTheLad

Free Member
Sep 2, 2016
Ross-on-Wye
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Don't forget, there are plenty of places to leave campsite reviews. I always check them out.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline

A wow place to drive around.
CCDD938C-A992-4AB3-AE98-DED5F268FB72.jpeg
53A7C043-507F-4FDA-BB01-4218227A841A.jpeg
4A28D205-4A73-44F2-BBD8-63BF38E97AD2.jpeg

Herbyventures

Free Member
Oct 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit selfbui
Exp
The only justification I can think of for charging extra for a gazebo is that the site's PLI could include an additional premium for gazebos, due to their propensity to become airborne in high winds. So they could be passing on the additional cost there. I entirely take your point about a car though, as long as its within the pitch I can't see the justification for that.
As for charging for dogs - we used to find it difficult to find nice self catering places to stay with dogs. In recent years there are more properties allowing dogs (though with some strange rules, like small dogs only - small dogs get dirtier, their tummies are closer to the ground!) BUT, oh boy have charges for taking dogs become a) more common and b) massively more expensive. One site we've used for years now want the best part of £100 extra to take two dogs for a week in a log cabin. Which is one reason we are converting a van to a motorhome for holidays.

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Whilst I agree with most of the posts on this thread, I feel we are making it too easy for campsite owners by paying what they ask. Of course they are entitled to charge whatever they want for whatever service they offer, but we have a choice, we can pay up and look happy or refuse.
If we think the site is too expensive go somewhere else or give up camping.

Rogerlathbury

Free Member
Oct 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I 678
Exp
Hello Funsters

Some of you may be aware that we’ve postponed our trip to France and Spain and have now opted for a UK holiday.
It looks like we’ve bagged the last pitch that was available for our 10 nights in August at a nice site on the outskirts of Padstow.
We’ve been before to this site, albeit a long time ago and in an old VW campervan.
Although it has its own stretch of private beach, it’s a bus or taxi ride from the centre of Padstow, so this year, our plans were to hire a car for 5 to 7 days as going out for the day in a near 9m Motorhome may be a little different to a 1974 VW on country lanes in Cornwall.
I’m currently trying to find an ‘affordable’ hire car and preferably to collect in Padstow rather than to trail to Newquay airport to collect.
What has surprised me is upon reading the campsites rules, they charge £5 per night extra for an additional car.
Additional cars must be parked within your pitch boundary.

So why charge extra?
I could understand it if it was to be parked in their car park, but if you are paying for the pitch, shouldn’t it matter what you fill that pitch with?

Incidentally, they also charge for gazebos. (Not that we are taking one) Again, if it goes on your pitch, why charge extra?
They don’t allow group bookings, so that cancels out the scenario of loads of cars relating to one group on a pitch.

So a car and caravan don’t get charged, but a Motorhome with car does.
Yet a car, tent and trailer is ok.
I don’t understand this.

So my little run around car hire will cost an extra £35 before we’ve even started.

BTW, we are paying £46.00 per night for the 10night stay for the pitch with electric, 2 adults & 1 child.
Any ideas what the thought process is behind additional charges on sites?
As you have said "Looks like ... bagged the last pitch", simply put the site charges this rate because they can.

OP
OP
GAVLAD
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
As you have said "Looks like ... bagged the last pitch", simply put the site charges this rate because they can.
Yes they can, but not everyone will be taking an additional car - which is what the post was about.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Nobody is forcing me to pay my little sweetie
If you’d care to read my original post, I’ve explained that I’m happy to pay the £46 per night.
What I can’t understand is what’s the difference between a car & caravan to a motorhome & car on a pitch and why there’s an additional charge applicable to one - us, the motorhoming family and not the other.
It’s not a case of stop whinging as you put it. I thought it is a forum, so I’ve asked the question.
But thanks for your helpful contribution.
You have booked at Mother Iveys!
His site, his rules - take it or leave it is what he will say!

OP
OP
GAVLAD
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
You have booked at Mother Iveys!
His site, his rules - take it or leave it is what he will say!
:LOL:(y)(y) well done Abacist - I purposely did not mention them as I wanted to wait until they replied.
My theory was that if they replied with positive news, I was going to cover them in glory.
If they didn't reply (looking likely now as I've been waiting since a few days before the OP) or replied with bad news, I wasn't going to name them as I didn't want to publicly slate them.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
What's the problem? Its a lovely site just on the expensive side but has its own beautiful beach and lovely views and adjacent walks along the coast in either direction. He fills to capacity every year so can charge what he likes and does. Just don't buy a mobile home on his site as that is also a licence to print money for him! Its supply and demand and he has plenty of demand!

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
We're on a CS at the moment, £7 a night and £2 a night extra for when daughter stayed. No extra charge here

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
Hello Funsters

Some of you may be aware that we’ve postponed our trip to France and Spain and have now opted for a UK holiday.
It looks like we’ve bagged the last pitch that was available for our 10 nights in August at a nice site on the outskirts of Padstow.
We’ve been before to this site, albeit a long time ago and in an old VW campervan.
Although it has its own stretch of private beach, it’s a bus or taxi ride from the centre of Padstow, so this year, our plans were to hire a car for 5 to 7 days as going out for the day in a near 9m Motorhome may be a little different to a 1974 VW on country lanes in Cornwall.
What has surprised me is upon reading the campsites rules, they charge £5 per night extra for an additional car.
Additional cars must be parked within your pitch boundary.

So why charge extra?
I could understand it if it was to be parked in their car park, but if you are paying for the pitch, shouldn’t it matter what you fill that pitch with?

Incidentally, they also charge for gazebos. (Not that we are taking one) Again, if it goes on your pitch, why charge extra?
They don’t allow group bookings, so that cancels out the scenario of loads of cars relating to one group on a pitch.

So a car and caravan don’t get charged, but a Motorhome with car does.
Yet a car, tent and trailer is ok.
I don’t understand this.

So my little run around car hire will cost an extra £35 before we’ve even started.

BTW, we are paying £46.00 per night for the 10night stay for the pitch with electric, 2 adults & 1 child.
Any ideas what the thought process is behind additional charges on sites?
Pure greed, Simples, Cornwall is notorious for it all they like about us is our money.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back