Taking food into the EU (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
The point is that we can, not that we actually do so yet. The EU have no way of knowing whether we do or we don't.
Pretty sure majority of milk imports are from Belgium and Holland but cannot understand why,,Just shows that transport costs are far too low which encourages the distribution of goods over too far a distance..Politicians are always on about the environment and pollution from motor vehicles and yet they allow the transport of food over ridiculous distances..Cabbages for sale in Sainsburys yesterday from Spain!!! Oranges,lemons etc i can understand but cabbages,,sure we can grow them in UK. BUSBY..

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We will not allow their young people to come and study here in return for our students going to university there (what risk does that involve?)

That was one of the main issues for me ...... once upon a time I was part of the Erasmus (student exchange) Administration and it was/ is a brilliant opportunity. Now and again I see some of "my" students on tv (often in the background but sometimes as acknowledged experts) as they have made it to the high levels of their chosen specialty. The ending of Erasmus will be a loss for all concerned - personal, regional and national. I am hoping there will be another scheme in it's place in due course but feel for those who have lost out.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
That was one of the main issues for me ...... once upon a time I was part of the Erasmus (student exchange) Administration and it was/ is a brilliant opportunity. Now and again I see some of "my" students on tv (often in the background but sometimes as acknowledged experts) as they have made it to the high levels of their chosen specialty. The ending of Erasmus will be a loss for all concerned - personal, regional and national. I am hoping there will be another scheme in it's place in due course but feel for those who have lost out.
The cynical view is Erasmus had to go because it produced people with a positive experience of Europe. :)

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
I am hoping there will be another scheme in it's place in due course but feel for those who have lost out.

I believe the Government are bringing out a scheme around September named after Alan Turing which will encourage global student exchanges not just European.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
It does seem strange to me that some of our dairy farmers are struggling and yet we import cheap subsidised milk.
Supermarkets to blame,,they say the customer demands cheap milk ! i would happily pay another 20 to 30 p a litre for uk milk BUSBY.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Actually without subsidies the true cost of milk is quite high to make a return on investment. The reason we have access to cheap, there is abundance of subsidised supply. Cut that, and market will balance things out.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
My eldest two benefitted enormously from it and sadly my youngest is missing out. My eldest is in the Foreign Office, I’m sure her year in Madrid and Porto helped.
My oldest friend from school is part of the Erasmus team at Oxford Brookes so I think it’s very sad. Any replacement will take years and huge amounts of money, not to mention goodwill to set up.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Supermarkets to blame,,they say the customer demands cheap milk ! i would happily pay another 20 to 30 p a litre for uk milk BUSBY.

Morrison's sell milk:

Morrisons For Farmers British Semi Skimmed Milk 4 Pints 2.27L​

£1.38 (60.8p per litre)

Pasteurised, homogenised, semi skimmed milk. Milk from cows grazed outside for a minimum of 120 days per year.
1.7% fat, Suitable for vegetarians

Country of Origin​

United Kingdom
Suitable for vegetarians
Suitable for vegetarians

LIFE 6d+
Product life guaranteed for 6 days including delivery day, with an average of 9.5 days.

OR

Morrisons British Semi Skimmed Milk 4 Pints​

£1.15 (50.7p per litre)

Farmer Owned - Sourced from Arla Foods, The Dairy Cooperative, Suitable for vegetarians
Suitable for vegetarians
Suitable for vegetarians

LIFE 5d+
Product life guaranteed for 5 days including delivery day, with an average of 10 days.

This has been around for several years. Surely they have it in Derbyshire?

Gordon

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Morrison's sell milk:

Morrisons For Farmers British Semi Skimmed Milk 4 Pints 2.27L​

£1.38 (60.8p per litre)

Pasteurised, homogenised, semi skimmed milk. Milk from cows grazed outside for a minimum of 120 days per year.
1.7% fat, Suitable for vegetarians

Country of Origin​

United Kingdom
Suitable for vegetarians
Suitable for vegetarians

LIFE 6d+
Product life guaranteed for 6 days including delivery day, with an average of 9.5 days.

OR

Morrisons British Semi Skimmed Milk 4 Pints​

£1.15 (50.7p per litre)

Farmer Owned - Sourced from Arla Foods, The Dairy Cooperative, Suitable for vegetarians
Suitable for vegetarians
Suitable for vegetarians

LIFE 5d+
Product life guaranteed for 5 days including delivery day, with an average of 10 days.

This has been around for several years. Surely they have it in Derbyshire?

Gordon
To far for us to walk to Morrison's,, about 9 miles..Got Sainsbury's and Tesco at 3 miles who sell UK milk but what I was saying was that I wood happily pay more for it to sustain British farmers. BUSBY.😁

Feb 22, 2020
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E582
Exp
2011, 11.6m cruiser on Thames for 5 years before
1: The actual reason for stopping UK participation in Erasmus was that far more EU students wanted to come to study in the UK than vice versa, and it’s the receiving government that paid. It was costing our government £millions!!

2: Just read in the Telegraph an expat was stopped at the Gib/Spanish border from taking a Nando’s sauce into Spain because it contains “processed vegetables”, i.e. onion purée!

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
In October 2015 we launched For Farmers and became the first UK retailer to create a range where part of the retail price of the products goes directly back to farmers. Some of their stories can be found here.

Milk For Farmers was first in the range and a 4 pint bottle is 23 pence more than our own label standard milk, equivalent to around 10 pence per litre. We pass 100% of this premium to Arla, the farmer-owned cooperative which supplies the milk for distribution among our aligned UK Morrisons farmers. The option is also available for cream, with around 10p / pot going directly to the farmers who supply us.

Gordon

Of course, they might be lying :rolleyes:

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
To far for us to walk to Morrison's,, about 9 miles..Got Sainsbury's and Tesco at 3 miles who sell UK milk but what I was saying was that I wood happily pay more for it to sustain British farmers. BUSBY.😁
Do you have a local dairy? We buy direct from our local organic farm, in glass bottles. It is expensive but is right in so many levels - they look after animals and land as well as creating local jobs with minimum miles from field to glass 👍

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Do you have a local dairy? We buy direct from our local organic farm, in glass bottles. It is expensive but is right in so many levels - they look after animals and land as well as creating local jobs with minimum miles from field to glass 👍
No,,locally it's beef and sheep,,,Wish we had. BUSBY.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
My eldest two benefitted enormously from it and sadly my youngest is missing out. My eldest is in the Foreign Office, I’m sure her year in Madrid and Porto helped.
My oldest friend from school is part of the Erasmus team at Oxford Brookes so I think it’s very sad. Any replacement will take years and huge amounts of money, not to mention goodwill to set up.

Small world as my sister taught at Oxford Brookes about 30 years ago.

Chicken 50

Free Member
Nov 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
A class
Having read all the earlier posts about what is and what is not allowed to be taken into Spain, surely a small bottle of milk will not be confiscated from our motorhome fridge? I use almond milk so hope I can get that in Spain? Are motorhomes checked over on arrival at Santander?

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Having read all the earlier posts about what is and what is not allowed to be taken into Spain, surely a small bottle of milk will not be confiscated from our motorhome fridge? I use almond milk so hope I can get that in Spain? Are motorhomes checked over on arrival at Santander?
Even when the security at the ports stuck their head in our van to have a look, they didn’t bother looking for food. Never even asked about it.

We travelled with a virtually empty fridge, next time it’ll be full. But that’s just us. 🤷‍♂️

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I use almond milk so hope I can get that in Spain?
:hiya:And welcome to the forum. No one travelling has reported any checks on the contents of their fridges! Almond mik is not dairy and so not prohibited anyway. It is freely available in Spain
2817AA7A-D306-46A6-A5BA-BF5956BD5646.jpeg

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
This is my take on it, when flying you should not take knives or anything that could be considered an offensive weapons in your hand luggage or have one on your person. I flew to Amsterdam went through the normal checks at Stansted. On my return a couple of days later when going through security in holland I was stopped my bag emptied and they pulled out a screwdriver that could be used as an offensive weapon.....I totally forgot it was in there and its not unusual to find all sorts of tools in my pockets and bags. I 'got away' with it one way but not the other and security...well they were just doing their Job .

So I reckon yes you can drive through customs and you may not get searched.......but when you do get stopped and asked to remove the food you know you shouldn't be taking do not complain, you know the rules if you bend them and get found out its the chance you have taken.

Chicken 50

Free Member
Nov 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
A class
Wouldn't want to break the law and good to know almond milk is available in the Spanish supermarkets. It is all so silly really. Can anybody recommend a supermarket in Santander which is easy to get to and park to do a small shop for essentials?

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Went to France last week - ferry to Saint Malo. Inside van checked on way out, security guard came aboard and looked in the wash room. Must have been on board for all of 20 seconds. Despite being the only moho on the ferry going out, we were waived through at the other end with only the usual passport double check. Just as well, given the foodie "contraband" we had in the 'fridge - milk, bacon and butter which we were prepared to surrender without argument if challenged.

On the return the security didn't even come aboard, just stuck his head through the habitation door for a quick visual check and wished us "Bon voyage". Customs at Portsmouth waived us through, not that we were over our duty free allowances or carrying anything untoward.

So I guess that Coolcats' post sums it up nicely - you takes your chance, don't moan if you are caught out and hope that the worst that's going to happen is that they confiscate all your illegal substances.

But almond milk? Now that's another debate altogether . . . . .

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
1: The actual reason for stopping UK participation in Erasmus was that far more EU students wanted to come to study in the UK than vice versa, and it’s the receiving government that paid. It was costing our government £millions!!

2: Just read in the Telegraph an expat was stopped at the Gib/Spanish border from taking a Nando’s sauce into Spain because it contains “processed vegetables”, i.e. onion purée!
Not True

1) Most Foreign Students come from Non EU Countries, the receiving countries benefit financially from Students studying in the UK, as well as economically as most students will work locally be it in Bars and Restaurants or other work.

2) Its a good revenue stream for Uni's If you look at an international student undertaking a BSc in Mathematics at Leeds University for example its £23,000 per year and for a UK Student it is £9,250

3) Acording to this site in 2018 over 20,000 uk students were studying abroad

Screenshot 2021-11-03 at 09.12.05.png

Screenshot 2021-11-03 at 09.11.19.png

Jun 5, 2020
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
4 years, travelling to Greece each year and exploring on the way and back
Not True

1) Most Foreign Students come from Non EU Countries, the receiving countries benefit financially from Students studying in the UK, as well as economically as most students will work locally be it in Bars and Restaurants or other work.

2) Its a good revenue stream for Uni's If you look at an international student undertaking a BSc in Mathematics at Leeds University for example its £23,000 per year and for a UK Student it is £9,250

View attachment 553769
View attachment 553770
Nice to see some rather iffily sourced disinformation demolished....well done for presenting actual evidence.

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Not True

View attachment 553769
View attachment 553770
Please don't let the facts distort the Telegraph's casual click-bait, it spoils it for those who want to rage at something.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

Nice to see some rather iffily sourced disinformation demolished....well done for presenting actual evidence.
The actual statement was "far more EU students wanted to come to study in the UK than vice versa,"
Which is perfectly true. Double the amount of EU students study in the Uk compared to UK students in the EU.

In 2017, 16,561 UK students participated in Erasmus, while 31,727 EU nationals came to the UK.

from here,
https://www.bbc.com/news/education-47293927
EU students had no tuition fees as the scheme was reciprocal with Uk students not paying fees abroad.Therefore the uk was losing out theoretically.
shown in link above also.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back