Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
As you may know I converted a lwb movano back in June using the interior of our damp caravan.

It's a great conversation better than conversions I've seen on eBay etc.

One thing that niggles me though it is totally fixed in position.

This means that to use the van as a can is impossible.

My idea is to have a van where the major components are easily removable.

So kitchen pod, toilet block bench seats at the back.

If your ever been into woodworking you will know about french cleats. I'd be putting french cleats against the side walls which the units lock into. Large thumb bolts would sech them down.

The front of the van would have a set of ford transit custom seats.

Base van would probably be a fiat etc as they are the widest

What are your thoughts.

Cheers James

Reactions: Jim

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Certainly possible, others have certainly done so. Why not look at aircraft seat rail or captive floor track. Simple fittings mean you can slide the units/seats along and then lock in position, change the layout every weekend if you wish. Easy to get the units in and out of the back door, you could even add removable extensions so that you could slide the units out onto a trolley. Many mid sized aircraft have the internal layout changeable to suit whatever role they are flying in. They are strong so you will only need floor attachments. Any unit that has wiring to it can have quick disconnect wiring.

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
I love that idea ,has it been done before? am sure the interior would be pretty basic but if it serves its purpose and you are happy with it , thats marvellous,
trial and error will be the way with that project eh? But if you are handy am sure you will enjoy it ,best of luck, i hope you put some photos on here pampam

Deleted User
Do you mean by combined van that you want to carry goods in it. If so then it won't be considered by the DVLA as a motor caravan and you won't have the benefit of motorhome speed limits and possibly insurance etc although this probably isn't a big issue

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
J

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
No I work for a charity and I use it to carry materials for a men's shed I facilitate.

I could see it working quite well and be a good compromise.

Cheers James

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Do you mean by combined van that you want to carry goods in it. If so then it won't be considered by the DVLA as a motor caravan and you won't have the benefit of motorhome speed limits and possibly insurance etc although this probably isn't a big issue
The insurance could be an issue. You would have to have customised insurance, which you can get. If you insured it as a motorhome and then crashed whilst using it as a work van, your insurance would be invalid. Be interested to hear how it goes.

Dec 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
VW Crafter Self Conv
As you may know I converted a lwb movano back in June using the interior of our damp caravan.

It's a great conversation better than conversions I've seen on eBay etc.

One thing that niggles me though it is totally fixed in position.

This means that to use the van as a can is impossible.

My idea is to have a van where the major components are easily removable.

So kitchen pod, toilet block bench seats at the back.

If your ever been into woodworking you will know about french cleats. I'd be putting french cleats against the side walls which the units lock into. Large thumb bolts would sech them down.

The front of the van would have a set of ford transit custom seats.

Base van would probably be a fiat etc as they are the widest

What are your thoughts.

Cheers James
I did exactly this in a T5 using trailer latches (the kind with a little toggle with serrated inside edge that get tighter as they're rattled around).

Mounted the trailer latches via rivnuts, locked a piece of pre drilled angle iron onto each latch (hole centred on the latches but significantly oversized to allow tolerance in refitting), built the cupboards onto the metal angles.

Once complete I simply undid the latches and took the whole lot out again for painting.

In principle it works great, but the reality is its a 20minute exercise in and out so we usually can't be bothered.

Its been handy a few times for moving large furniture.

One mistake I made was making electrical connections to the chassis via conventional 12v cigarette plug sockets. They rattle loose quite a lot and you have to rummage about at the back of a cupboard to push them in a bit more. If I did it again I'd be looking for a better solution for the electrical connections.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We use french cleats for our bed headboard (on the wall). One problem we find is that the weight of the headboard gradually makes the join a bit tight and it can be a b** * r to get it off. I can imagine that driving around on bumpy UK roads would exacerbate this. You would need to consider the space required above to lift the furniture up and off the cleat. We have metal ones though, maybe wooden ones would be easier?

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Another problem would be MOT , as a van(3000 to 3500) is class 7 and a motorcaravan is class 4 . You might have to have two MOT tests . (Yes it is possible) .

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Well I never! Been using that mounting method for years and never knew it was called a French cleat.
Imho floor and wall rails would be the best mount/demount method but dependent on module size you could be looking at substantial weight.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Deleted User
Class 7 only if used for commercial purposes and carrying goods.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
That's what I thought too, for most it won't be required but the OP is looking to have a 'multi-use' vehicle so this brings into question not only insurance but MOT too ... the seem to get confused by even the most basic questions so asking them one about a PVC that is then a works/goods carrying van, would totally screw their minds up!

Deleted User
That's what I thought too, for most it won't be required but the OP is looking to have a 'multi-use' vehicle so this brings into question not only insurance but MOT too ... the seem to get confused by even the most basic questions so asking them one about a PVC that is then a works/goods carrying van, would totally screw their minds up!
If the vehicle carries goods for commercial use at any time then it is a class 7, even if used as a Motorhome for most of the time.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
If the vehicle carries goods for commercial use at any time then it is a class 7, even if used as a Motorhome for most of the time.
Yes I know, but the blanket statement made earlier implied that ALL MHs with garages were class 7, which they aren't, hence my asking why. I believe this is one reason why jezport has his goods delivered to showgrounds rather than transporting them himself as he'd have to have Class 7 for his PVC otherwise.

Deleted User
Yes I know, but the blanket statement made earlier implied that ALL MHs with garages were class 7, which they aren't, hence my asking why. I believe this is one reason why jezport has his goods delivered to showgrounds rather than transporting them himself as he'd have to have Class 7 for his PVC otherwise.
Yes I agree with you, perhaps I could have worded it a bit differently. I was referring to those wanting a dual use vehicle ie motorhome and commercial van.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
does the classification of living van still exist? as in equivalent to a showman's wagon, where you carry the tools and materials for your work in a vehicle you use to live in

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

No, dvsa consider that anything that is carried that is not needed for it to function as a motorhome means it requires a class 7 mot. Carrying a motorbike ,if left in the garage, for the test can get it refused a class 4 test.
does the classification of living van still exist? as in equivalent to a showman's wagon, where you carry the tools and materials for your work in a vehicle you use to live in
that's what vwalan is classed as ,isn't it?

Deleted User
No, dvsa consider that anything that is carried that is not needed for it to function as a motorhome means it requires a class 7 mot. Carrying a motorbike ,if left in the garage, for the test can get it refused a class 4 test.

that's what vwalan is classed as ,isn't it?
Not saying this is definitely correct but the way it was explained to me by an MOT tester was that if the storage is for carrying items to be used for the benefit of the motorhome user when the vehicle is being used as a motorhome then it is a class 4 mot but if it is for carrying commercial goods then it is class7.
There is a MOT tester on this forum who should be able to confirm what is correct.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Perhaps as you dont seem to get confused you can answer me this.

The regulation say if your vehicle is adapted to carry items not strictly, the purpose of which is to enable you to use that vehicle as a camping van it must be registered as a living van and tested as a class seven.and obey class 7 speed limits.

Im contemplating adapting my van by fitting a cycle carrier to the rear of my Motorhome thereby adapting it to carry cycles do i now become a class seven
Yours Sincerely Confused .

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Perhaps as you dont seem to get confused you can answer me this.

The regulation say if your vehicle is adapted to carry items not strictly, the purpose of which is to enable you to use that vehicle as a camping van it must be registered as a living van and tested as a class seven.and obey class 7 speed limits.

Im contemplating adapting my van by fitting a cycle carrier to the rear of my Motorhome thereby adapting it to carry cycles do i now become a class seven
Yours Sincerely Confused .
Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not Geo :giggle: but just in case you are 'serious' ...

If the purpose of fitting the cycle carrier is to enable you to carry cycles which you only use for your own leisure activities then it should remain as class 4, however if you are doing it so you can pick-up/deliver cycles to others, ie that you've sold/bought as part of a business, or providing a service to others (whether charged for or not) then to me that would be class 7.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
When I took my motorhome for an mot in November I was told that all motor homes with a garage are class 7. I queried it and he showed me a VOSA document to confirm it.
Well he's talking bollocks or totally misinterpreting what it says.

What VOSA document was it that he showed you?

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
Well he's talking bollocks or totally misinterpreting what it says.

What VOSA document was it that he showed you?
It was a notification sheet in a file. He went on to say that consideration was being given to plating I respect of motor homes over 3500kg.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
It was a notification sheet in a file. He went on to say that consideration was being given to plating I respect of motor homes over 3500kg.
Does he by any chance charge more for a Class 7?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not Geo :giggle: but just in case you are 'serious' ...

If the purpose of fitting the cycle carrier is to enable you to carry cycles which you only use for your own leisure activities then it should remain as class 4, however if you are doing it so you can pick-up/deliver cycles to others, ie that you've sold/bought as part of a business, or providing a service to others (whether charged for or not) then to me that would be class 7.
I suspect you choose the Minxy interpretations when commenting,
we as testers ran all those scenarios past the rule makers asking silly things like what about a jack and a wheel brace we were under no illusions they were living vans if and i repeat it a different way if by removing said items STOPS you using your vehicle as a Motorhome then it is allowed to be carried your bicycle does NOT fit that criteria
The best outcome we got was "Well its not your problem the presenter has to declare what class it is.
So the onus is now firmly on the owner whereas when first muted it was a serious sack able offence to test it in the wrong class
And just for for information the regs "say adapted to carry" it says nothing about whos bike it is or why its carried
Geo

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back