Extra £1 per metre over 6 metres (1 Viewer)

Aug 2, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral
Exp
Since 2010
For the first time we were charged extra for the length of our van which is 7.3m. All the pitches were an identical size so I just can't understand why this is thought to be acceptable. We were taking up no more space, or using any more facilities than, say, a 6m van. Has anyone else come across this? (I know some sites charge extra for wider pitches if you want an awning, and I can see the logic in that.)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Sorry, but more the fool you in staying. I would have told them to stuff their pitch and gone elsewhere, ..unless everywhere else was full or you had to be in that location. Mind you Im not one for campsites full stop.

OP
OP
M
Aug 2, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral
Exp
Since 2010
Everywhere else was full unfortunately so no choice. One night only on way to a ferry so we had to suck it up. Lochranza on Arran.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Everywhere else was full unfortunately so no choice. One night only on way to a ferry so we had to suck it up. Lochranza on Arran.
I take it your not into wilding then? An ideal opportunity and plenty of places on Arran too, ..not to mention the black pudding at Blackwaterfoot is delicious.

poacher

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2008
Funster No
For the first time we were charged extra for the length of our van which is 7.3m. All the pitches were an identical size so I just can't understand why this is thought to be acceptable. We were taking up no more space, or using any more facilities than, say, a 6m van. Has anyone else come across this? (I know some sites charge extra for wider pitches if you want an awning, and I can see the logic in that.)

Welcome to the "world of larger motorhomes" .......................................

It is because of "all that extra electric that you will use" ;) ;) ;) ;)

(It is something the RVOC members on here experience frequently :swear::swear::swear: )

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
I can understand an RV being charged extra but not a euro type van unless they apply that rule to caravans and tents on that site.

Seems like that is the way they price for camping too

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
The fees are clearly stated on the website :

Thanks for the link. £27 a night :rofl: No way would I pay that. For the £27 I'd have been wilding and could've had a nice meal out instead , yes I know we are all different.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I can understand an RV being charged extra but not a euro type van unless they apply that rule to caravans and tents on that site.
They have to draw the line somewhere, it's their site and it says on the website before you book, so honestly can't see any point in complaining after you have accepted this and paid.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Thanks for the link. £27 a night :rofl: No way would I pay that. For the £27 I'd have been wilding and could've had a nice meal out instead , yes I know we are all different.
I agree but my previous post still stands, in fact even more so, if you are prepared to pay £27 a night what's another quid?.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
According to their website it is an extra £1 for an extra 1cm over 6m, never mind for 1metre.
BUT it is NOT an extra £1 PER METRE!

Gordon

Quackers

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2019
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012
Please go a little easy on campsites folks, some campsites have re opened and with reduced capacity for Covid restrictions so have lost quite a bit of income lately. If they have to raise income to stay afloat that it what they need to do. Check and confirm prices before you stay so you know what to expect. Incidentally £12 a night would get you a whole field here at the moment woodsidefield.co.uk.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
£27 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As said it's very clear on their website on how much it costs and you know how big you van is..

That £27 could have gone towards a nice solar panel or refillable gas system if you dont have them, allowing more camping away from expensive campsites.. (y)

Mar 9, 2015
Heywood, Gtr. Manchester.
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2008
This happens on Haven sites when you book on line. I paid more for my 7.3 motorhome than my friend in her 6.5 mh. When we got there we were parked next to each other, basically in a field. No marked pitches, just a row of EHU posts. Didn't complain as it was still a bargain end of season price. (Around a tenner with ehu!).

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Your header states an extra £1 per metre over 6m, which is not correct. The sites website clearly states up to 6m, £26.for over 6m its £27, and not as you state. I think you were wrong to complain about it. If you didn't want to pay £27 then best to find somewhere else prior to booking.
Sorry.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
You always have an option.

Did you discuss it with them and ask why?

Would that have been fairer in the first instance?

Could it be that they have more smaller pitches in another part of the site that perhaps you didn't see?

If that were the case, they may have allocated you in an area that can accommodate 7m vans, so the pitches where you were, naturally would have been a similar size? The other, smaller vans in the vicinity may have had to have been put on the larger pitches as the site was busy? as you say everywhere else was full?

If they have fewer "larger" pitches then charging a £1 premium seems reasonable.

Having a larger camper myself I would hate it if larger pitches were "dug up" to make more smaller pitches as it was more profitable.

OP
OP
M
Aug 2, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral
Exp
Since 2010
They have to draw the line somewhere, it's their site and it says on the website before you book, so honestly can't see any point in complaining after you have accepted this and paid.
I'm not complaining- I was asking if people have come across this

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I was on a site somewhere (UK) that charged extra for larger motorhomes \ RVs but was for in excess of 8. something length. Think it could accommodate up to about 12m and their logic was they could have changed it to two smaller pitches but wanted to provide a facility for the bigger boys! :whistle2: :whistle2:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
All haven sites work like this, also not the same thing but similar is ferry's charge extra for length.
Also parking can cost more if you take up two spaces, I think it's quite common and expected I'm afraid.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back