Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Going to Spain and hoping to be traveling all around it,we have both gps sat nav and data ( if available) for the likes of Google maps , so question is do I need paper maps?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I carry the Michelin atlas plus a large scale map of the whole of Spain and Portugal both of which I find useful for planning. I've also got large scale maps of a few areas but never seem to use them. :)

I find paper maps give a better idea of what an area looks like. They show forests, rivers and mountains which are hard to spot on the default Google maps view and their satellite view has usually too much information. The terrain view is a bit crude although sometimes useful.

Last edited:
May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
Each to their own I guess.

I may be wrong, but the impression I get from reading stuff on here is that Northernraider has managed virtually 2 seperate years in Spain via modern technology. and chaser wouldn't leave home without a huge raft of paper, but I stand to be corrected :giggle::giggle:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

I may be wrong, but the impression I get from reading stuff on here is that Northernraider has managed virtually 2 seperate years in Spain via modern technology. and chaser wouldn't leave home without a huge raft of paper, but I stand to be corrected :giggle::giggle:
I shall have to correct you, use nothing but Google maps on my phone.

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
Paper maps everytime.

I get a sense of scale.

I know from experience how long it takes to drive halfway across a Michelin map.

I get a wider picture of what is in the local area.

None of which I get from a Sat Nab, which is wonderful for the last 10kms and advance warning when cruising down a motorway.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
The short answer is that you don't need either.
If I wanted a map, however, I'd get a paper one (or large road atlas) before anything else.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
This is Sedge - our large scale Michelin atlas shows the height of low bridges and showed a 3m bridge on a road satnag was already sending us down so I went Oooer, and told Pete. He slowed down and stopped where we were able to, where said bridge was (literally) just around the corner so we couldn't see it yet.

I disembarked and walked around the corner - and the ruddy thing was at least 5m high! LOL

Merci beaucoup M. Bibbendum!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

Trouble with Sat nav is that it sometimes takes you miles around to a destination and without a paper map you would not know..Quite often override my Sat nav and ignore her instructions when travelling.BUSBY.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
Ten years ago I didn’t own a sat nav yet I managed to get to my destination. Now I wouldn’t be without a sat nav it’s just so much easier, saying that we bought a paper map of Europe for the motorhome 2 years ago and I think we have used it once. (Avoiding toll roads in France yet trying to get round a diversion)

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
I love maps and working out routes. Google street view finishes off the last mile or so.
I foolishly popped into WHSmiths before we left home to buy a map of France as I find it easier to look at a full map than bits on separate pages. Foolish is because it doesn’t show many small road. The road past our village is a proper width tarmac road with long distance traffic on it, but it’s not on the map.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I Still have my "Trucker" Maps. which are very useful. Even a "Europe" one. But primality for planning I still go to "Autoroute". Then transfer the results to my Sat Nav. Having crossed checked any doubtful issues against the truck Map`s. So Far I have rarely been caught out.

Autoroute was phased out circa 2011/3. but most of the mapping is still valid.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Trouble with Sat nav is that it sometimes takes you miles around to a destination and without a paper map you would not know..Quite often override my Sat nav and ignore her instructions when travelling.BUSBY.

Likewise, Mrs Sandancer checks out on the paper map the best route to somewhere and often the Sat Nav seems to go a convoluted way.

Jul 26, 2019
Devon / Cornish border
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Kimu 122
Exp
Both, Satnav takes the quickest route but co-driver like to take a more leisurely route or detours ?

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Going to Spain and hoping to be traveling all around it,we have both gps sat nav and data ( if available) for the likes of Google maps , so question is do I need paper maps?
We use both I like to look at the map and get the bigger picture!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
When I started van driving, I had to go into Birmingham everyday, never been near the place before, with just an old A toZ , god did I learn how to read a map in double quick time, first time I went I just thought I'm never going to get out of this place, but soon learnt where places were, but as I was driving for an electrical wholesalers I got to road test all the satnavs as they came out, wouldn't be without Google maps now, but it sure was an experience with that good old A toZ.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Only once have I selected 'Shortest route' on my GPS. Lesson learned, so never again; it took me around no end of backstreets, over numerous speed bumps and through rambling housing estates.
Whadda mistaka to maker!

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
When I started van driving, I had to go into Birmingham everyday, never been near the place before, with just an old A toZ , god did I learn how to read a map in double quick time, first time I went I just thought I'm never going to get out of this place, but soon learnt where places were, but as I was driving for an electrical wholesalers I got to road test all the satnavs as they came out, wouldn't be without Google maps now, but it sure was an experience with that good old A toZ.
Ahhh!, the old A-Z, Navigated all over the South of England for near 20 years with those and a Philips Atlas. Back then, I`ve had occasion to stop at a Phone box, (Remember them?), ring some Farmer and ask I`m where your supposed to be?. So where actually are you!. Ever tried claiming 20p phone calls on expenses!. Bloody tight Scottish Gaffers!

Ehh! Lad, There don`t know the`re born these days!.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
How do wimmins know it’s the right way up ?

This is Sedge and were I condemned to being resident at your house, you would soon look at the Coronavirus killing you as being a positive advantage. To put this into perspective I've lived with auro-immune conditions for most of my adult life; hence - so might I !

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
This is Sedge and were I condemned to being resident at your house, you would soon look at the Coronavirus killing you as being a positive advantage. To put this into perspective I've lived with auro-immune conditions for most of my adult life; hence - so might I !
I’ll take that as a no then

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I love paper maps - ancient and modern :)

That's not to say I don't use the satnag and gps but I still like to have a road atlas and if we are doing cycling or kayaking I will always have an o/s map and a coastal chart for sea kayaking.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back