Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Joking about that sort of thing. Years back there was a holiday programme (Judith Chalmers?). Anyhow, one week they where "boatying", navigating the Shannon River in the Irish Republic. So "paddy" the driver says "we follows this map" to (Destination). Queue Question from presenter. "how do we get back" Ahh! Says "paddy" "we turn the map upside down". I kid you not. On Live/recorded T-V unedited!

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Can someone please explain to me what a 'paper map' is - at a mere 65 year old it is probably something that was before my time?

I use google maps, on my tablet, for planning & sixty quid garmin when driving my MH - I'm definitely not one for meandering, I just want to get to my destination - but each to there own

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Ahh Nasher - they would be large sheets of paper, folded up in concertina fashion, protected in a thin card cover, and usually need a whole square dining table to open out completely. It is possible that you may have seen a parent or a grandparent perusing such things as an infant.

My own parents bought the one that covered our UK summer holiday destination before we went there, in order to pre-orientate themselves to the likely location of the beach - plus with the location and route of footpaths, since we always got taken on quite long walks sometimes. My sister never complained about this activity whereas I would soon be trotting out the phrase 'Daddy, my legs are achey!' like a broken record, long before the family owned either a record player or indeed a record !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Not used a paper map for 10 years. We use good old Autoroute a lot.
I find paper maps give a better idea of what an area looks like. They show forests, rivers and mountains which are hard to spot on the default Google maps view and their satellite view has usually too much information. The terrain view is a bit crude although sometimes useful.
Yes Google maps lack detail but Maps.me maps are almost as good as ordinance survey maps. I've got a Satmap (satnag for walking) expensive with expensive maps hardly ever use it now just use Maps.me.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I love modern tech, but don't trust it fully. We have a road atlas in each vehicle for planning. We also own a full set of ordinance survey maps covering great britain from back when we were more into green laning

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I need an atlas or a paper map of everywhere we go on our travels, as our new all singing/dancin Garmin Sat Nag is very much like my first wife, in that,I dont like being taken down the garden path in life.

It also as others have mentioned, helps plan routes when travelling,much easier than a small screen on a smart phone at least.

LES

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
Since I retired I don't bother to much about getting lost, even with sat nav, android head unit navigation and maps I always.. always get lost. :unsure: :LOL: :LOL:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
A Bit Anorak" I agree, but most of my O/S maps are now more that 25 or 30 years old. occasionally I pick one out and look at it. It is interesting to compare with (say) google. And see how, especially the road network, has changed over the time. I have (had) an "East Yorkshire" Map for example which still shows the Rail Track-work, Prior the Beeching Axe!.

Reactions: DBK
Oct 9, 2017
Wisbech
Funster No
MH
2007 Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2005
I always look at paper map before setting satnav so that I then know which route to destination I want to take is the one the satnav then chooses. Satnav mainly used for speed readout and guidance when approaching destination. Navigator always likes to have map open on lap as we travel, and likes to announce “only one more page to go” just like years gone by before satnavs.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Joking about that sort of thing. Years back there was a holiday programme (Judith Chalmers?). Anyhow, one week they where "boatying", navigating the Shannon River in the Irish Republic. So "paddy" the driver says "we follows this map" to (Destination). Queue Question from presenter. "how do we get back" Ahh! Says "paddy" "we turn the map upside down". I kid you not. On Live/recorded T-V unedited!
That could be called orientating the map to the ground. It's what I've seen navigators in helecopters doing - continuingly rotating the map as the aircraft turns. It can also be used by walkers to help recognise features like hills. It's a recognised technique but I haven't seen it done on a boat before. :)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
That could be called orientating the map to the ground. It's what I've seen navigators in helecopters doing - continuingly rotating the map as the aircraft turns. It can also be used by walkers to help recognise features like hills. It's a recognised technique but I haven't seen it done on a boat before. :)
I Agree, it is logical. But it was the way it presented, that made us all laugh.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
My preference for maps and charts originates from 20+ years navigating yachts. At work I used to receive the IMO monthly reports of marine accidents and when electronic marine navigation systems became commonplace newcomers aka 'The Birmingham Navy' (all the gear, no idea) sometimes set a course, say from Plymouth to the Scilly Isles oblivious to the fact that they needed to enter waypoints to take them clear of rocks and shallows and around rather than over The Lizard peninsular. :rolleyes:

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
I always keep the map north up. When I learned to fly I kept the chart (map) north up. I could turn my mind around easier than turning the chart around.

Craig

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
My preference for maps and charts originates from 20+ years navigating yachts. At work I used to receive the IMO monthly reports of marine accidents and when electronic marine navigation systems became commonplace newcomers aka 'The Birmingham Navy' (all the gear, no idea) sometimes set a course, say from Plymouth to the Scilly Isles oblivious to the fact that they needed to enter waypoints to take them clear of rocks and shallows and around rather than over The Lizard peninsular. :rolleyes:

Ship navigation over land is not limited to the Birmingham Navy!

A general cargoship master has been fined £1,000 ($1,300) over a grounding off Northern Ireland.

The Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) said the 3,600-dwt Wagenborg-managed Ruyter (built 2006) got stuck off Rathlin Island on the evening of 10 October.

It was carrying timber from Russia to Warrenpoint.

Captain Aleksandr Iakovtsov pleaded guilty at Armagh Magistrates Court to not keeping a proper look-out, failing to safely navigate and causing serious damage to the ship.

The ship later refloated under its own power and reported no damage at the time.

After it reached port, the pilot noticed the ship was 0.75 meters by the head and had a list, however.

The timber deck cargo had also shifted a little.

The harbour master at Warrenpoint found there was flooding to the bow thrust compartment and to the fore peak tank. She requested the ship to have an immediate underwater inspection.

This revealed extensive damage to the front third of the vessel.

A tank was breached and flooded, in addition to the fore peak and bow thrust compartment.

Magistrate Paul Copeland said: “It should have been apparent to you as an experienced mariner that you were on a collision course as you left Islay towards Northern Ireland.

"You chose to leave the bridge as the ship approached the coast of Ireland. It should have been apparent to you from the radar that you were getting close to the shore.

"The lights on Rathlin should also be apparent to you. You are fortunate the ship struck a shallow patch under the cliffs and that you were able to come off in a short time.

"It is understandable that you may not have been aware of the extent of the damage until after some time - fortunately there was no further incident. I’m satisfied it was not aggravated by alcohol and that there were no other ships put in danger by the progress of your ship.

"I am also taking into account you have been 31 years at sea with 16 years as captain and in this context you have been relieved of your command and this will affect your future work."

The master was released and returned to Russia

Deleted User
We found an old Mapbook in the door pocket of our last van when we tidied it out for P/xing. (2015)

It hadnt seen the light of day for a few years and wasn’t replaced.

Since then we have virtually full timed all over Europe without a paper map and haven’t missed one at all.

Google maps provides infinitely more information than any paper map, including a satellite image and street view. Instant directions, local information, sat nav capability, and a direct link to the web for reviews etc.

I suppose a paper map could be some use if the current toilet roll shortage continues, along with the “Some of the Aires” books :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Some years ago I was sailing South down the Alderney Race en route to Jersey when I was astonished to see a scruffy coaster high and dry on the shore (big tidal range there). Apparently it was on a twice weekly 'tomato run' back to Jersey from Southampton on GPS autopilot. The on-watch officer had woken the next one and gone to his cabin. The next guy had dropped back to sleep. Familiarity breeds contempt.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We use a paper road atlas for the countries we're going to as well as the sat nav, wouldn't be without either.

StephDeLux

Free Member
May 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
ML-T 560 built
Exp
Since 2010
I prefer paper maps to plan a trip. As a replacement when without the paper map, I find viamichelin.co.uk to be usable. All the Michelin maps digitalized.

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
I plan my route on a paper map to have a mental picture of where I'm going and list the major towns on my route on a Postit note on the dashboard then put the route in the GPS.
Travelling solo it's not always possible to find somewhere to pull over in towns/traffic to check with a paper map.

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
I plan my route on a paper map to have a mental picture of where I'm going and list the major towns on my route on a Postit note on the dashboard then put the route in the GPS.
Travelling solo it's not always possible to find somewhere to pull over in towns/traffic to check with a paper map.
I do similar, but don’t use a sat nav. I have a chief navigator, but by the time HE has woken up and found the correct part of the map, then realised that it’s upside down, it would be quicker to ask the dog. Casper stands up to navigate each time we reach a roundabout.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I always keep the map north up. When I learned to fly I kept the chart (map) north up. I could turn my mind around easier than turning the chart around.

Craig
I suspect that was in fixed wing? In a helicopter flying close to the ground all the navigators I've watched orientate the map continually and warn the pilots of upcoming radio masts and power lines etc.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I use a paper map to plan a route. By habit, as in pre-satnav times I memorise the relevant section of the map. 9 times out of 10 the memory map signals me to ignore the satnav when it wants to go down a narrow minor road, and stick to the preferred easy route in my head. The satnav comes into its own during the final few Km especially in unfamiliar towns. That and the speed and ETA indication are its best features.

For the UK I have kept a collection of OS 1" scale maps from rallying. They were the bees knees for detail and accuracy, and still have uses in the countryside.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back