IAN and HELGA,,ONWARDS and UPWARDS!! (3 Viewers)

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
You and I could have an excellent evening's discussion over a pint and I would relish listening to another welders take on their experience.

Now M.I.G welding when welding thin plate as any method should be done in a stitch style, because the parent metals are thin you would have to weld at a greater pass speed than welding a thicker profile.
Using a stitch method controls the heat input, you don't want weld deposit build up thus evading the need to grind back, using T.I.G is just another heating medium, now welding without a filler rod takes you into the realm of not having any gaps in the fillet or butt welds, this in itself creates the problem of joint creep were the joint closes over itself thus creating a rippling distortion.

Mild steel melts at between 1380'c to 1550'c depending on it's carbon content, obviously the more carbon the more brittle the weld will be, now using M.I.G for thin sheet you would just stitch using a spot weld technique thus avoiding too much weld build up avoiding the need to grind back.

Now using T.I.G for this, first you strike the arc, a T.I.G arc has a soft start builds to the intensity to melt the parent metal, excellent off we go but as in any situation without using a filler rod the weld will only be both joint edges melting together leaving a concave appearance with very little weld penetration, which can only promote weld cracking, so why not use a filler rod to mask the heat, after all you need the initial setting to melt the parent metals.
Of course the choice of inert gas will affect the weld temp and weld appearance.

As for my welding experience, I was Lloyds tested ASME 9 coded, Stamp Number 777.
Still have my tools and stamps.
I served my time as a boilermaker in the Petro Chemical Industry, welding most of the exotic metals, Inconel, Monel, Hastelloy, Stainless steel, Copper, Bronze, Cast Iron, Mild Steel etc etc, plus Aluminum and it's many Alloys.
Oil and Gas pipelines sunk to the floor of the ocean and pipelines across the Russian Tundra, I don't proclaim any welding snobbery if there is such a thing, bloody hell you spend your working life with your head in a bucket but I have spent many a night stove welding root welds on a 48" pipeline with fleetwelds, welding up cracks in Cast Iron Compressor engine blocks and for a party trick using a gas torch to do a butt weld on the silver paper from an old cigarette packet, won a few pints doing that trick I can tell you.
That’s just what I was thinking but in less words??

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
I know I did get carried away didn't I, I apologise to all ...sorry.:doh::doh::doh:
It’s quite interesting all of the different ways people use welding gear for different purposes, I myself self taught have always managed to work to an acceptable standard with steel but never had the need to go any further ,I wAs pretty good with gas back in the day,but always fancied buying a tig for a bit of a mess around.?

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Years ago I decided I needed to learn to weld, found an evening class and signed up, however finishing time time clashed with my work start time. Work allowed you to come in up to 30 minutes late if doing a course, was going to be fine till some 'kind person' told management what i was going to be doing.
Seems welding is not an 'appropriate qualification' for a children's nurse xroll:

OP
OP
ianthebuilder
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Good afternoon,,,

well I’m amazed!!
No need for tractor, just rolled backwards off of blocks, and put Helga in drive and she just plodded straight off the muddy field,, I had to power down a bit when I hit a huge soft patch, but she just sailed through it,, can’t believe it! Brilliant!!

set up on hard standing now, right next to the showers so all good,, tomorrow im going to get gas for the prospective customers and a bit of diesel,, I think it’s only manners,, but then I can demonstrate the heating,, I’m looking forward to a handover, I will be able to give a much better one than I recieved!!

I didn’t go to the range for bags,, I shall have a good look tomorrow, when I do a bit of shopping, I don’t need much, load of bread, sugar, milk, eggs and maybe a chicken or some steak for my Xmas dinner! Shop's are open again on Boxing Day,, I can’t believe the madness of the three trolley shop!! For just 2 days!!!

ok,, not much to report unless you consider a fruitless internet search for a small workshop interesting! I think I’m going to struggle finding something at a cost I can afford, or want to spend! Eg,, small workshop with a parking space in the village I am staying in now,, £900 per month!

Pisstakers!!

right, I’m off for a brew,, laters, xxx

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
Another suggestion you'll probably ignore Ian :xgrin: we use an app called Shpock sometimes when looking to buy/sell preloved items. You can set the location etc so you only see what's relevant. Like all these things you have to sift through the dross, I'm sure people buy DVDs in charity shops for £1 and try to sell them for £1.50, who could be bothered?? But we've bought, and sold, some decent things on there.

I assume there'll be a new thread 'adventures of Ian the fulltime flat dweller'. It won't be the same without Helga but Fun wouldn't be the same without you. Don't go embarrassing yourself and crying when they drive Helga away ? wish them well and then go and blub in the shower block ?

Have a great Xmas

Karen & Brian x

OP
OP
ianthebuilder
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Good afternoon,, I’m just back from giving Helga a good run, and getting gas and a bit of diesel! She runs so well, I’m beginning to have second thoughts! Lolol.
I did have a good long conversation with her as We were out, explaining to her my reason for selling her etc,, she understood, and wasn’t unhappy!! A new life for Helga as well !

well now I have to brave the supermarket for my few bits,, and then I can sit back for a couple of days, and after Boxing Day, think about the final clear out, clean up and wash!

I need to try and get a few boxes for the bitsI need, so I will hunt around for them, I will get all my tools and personals in the little van, she has plenty of room!

it was beautifully sunny here this morning, now it’s overcast and windy! I’m using the site washing machine for the first time, only because I’m close to it! And it’s only £1.20 a cycle!!

that’s it really, heating on and lovely and warm, tv on in the background, I’m just having a brew before my next excursion to shops,, chat later,, hope your day is good? Xxxxxx

OP
OP
ianthebuilder
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Well what a nightmare that was,,

only wanted a few bits, took me nearly 3 hrs,,
Traffic, queues in Asda were horrific!
The shops open Boxing Day! Joke,, well at least I don’t have to panic for a week !!
Hope you’ve done all your shopping, I was told it’s gonna be worse tomorrow! Good luck!! Xxxxx

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Well what a nightmare that was,,

only wanted a few bits, took me nearly 3 hrs,,
Traffic, queues in Asda were horrific!
The shops open Boxing Day! Joke,, well at least I don’t have to panic for a week !!
Hope you’ve done all your shopping, I was told it’s gonna be worse tomorrow! Good luck!! Xxxxx
Me and my lad went a ride down town this morning, Tesco , horrendous , never seen so many cars on the carpark, had to ride round to find a place, went across the road to Lidl, no more people than a normal day, just don't understand it, thought everyone was shopping at Lidl this year :unsure: :unsure:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
dropped my daughter off at a retail park yesterday, 25 minutes queuing to get out. Collected her 2 hours later another 20 minute queue to get out. getting in both visits, I was in and beside the shops in 2 minutes or 2 traffic light changes

The boss has instructed me, up at 06:30 to 07:00. At tescos 08:00 08:15 latest tomorrow

WHY??

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
dropped my daughter off at a retail park yesterday, 25 minutes queuing to get out. Collected her 2 hours later another 20 minute queue to get out. getting in both visits, I was in and beside the shops in 2 minutes or 2 traffic light changes

The boss has instructed me, up at 06:30 to 07:00. At tescos 08:00 08:15 latest tomorrow

WHY??
Well if it's like uttoxeter there can't be anyone else to come out tomorrow.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Me and my lad went a ride down town this morning, Tesco , horrendous , never seen so many cars on the carpark, had to ride round to find a place, went across the road to Lidl, no more people than a normal day, just don't understand it, thought everyone was shopping at Lidl this year :unsure: :unsure:
Walked into town today just for some fresh air ,Tesco empty,,Greggs McDonalds ramned.Birds sold out..Aldi busy but seen it busier..Sure it was busier last Friday,, BUSBY.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Walked into town today just for some fresh air ,Tesco empty,,Greggs McDonalds ramned.Birds sold out..Aldi busy but seen it busier..Sure it was busier last Friday,, BUSBY.
Strange how folks seem to be going to the same place at the same time and not others.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
one thing I did notice yesterday was the lack of people getting wound up in the traffic queues and letting others cut in when needed. Must be the Christmas spirit or something

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Shopping on Xmas eve in the likes of Tesco near closing time can get some bargains on the fresh food as they want shot of it as will be closed for 2 days.
That's what we usually do especially for veg but this year veg are so discounted it won't be worth it. Tesco 2.5 kg potatoes for 29 p rediculas can't anywhere near grow them for that.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Shopping on Xmas eve in the likes of Tesco near closing time can get some bargains on the fresh food as they want shot of it as will be closed for 2 days.
Would not care if it was free,,I am not that desperate to endure crowds and traffic jams involved in shopping at that time of day..BUSBY.?

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Saturday was worse than today at Morrison’s but we need to go back tomorrow to pick up the turkey we won’t be using it till Boxing Day anyone got a spare fridge ? van in storage or we would use that nowhere to park it at home.

OP
OP
ianthebuilder
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Good morning,,,

Christmas Eve,, doesn’t that sound nice!
The eve of Christmas,, the day before,,
I actually think that this is the proper start of the holiday ( holy day)

I won’t be going to church, I havnt done that in quite a while, but I will have a little chat with mum and dad later, just to let them know I’m thinking of them,, ( if I can get dad off the golf course !!)

Stewart is popping over this morning, early, and dropping me in town, I have a fewChristmas cards to hand out,, and I always enjoy that!

I find that this time of year, is really the only time I sit and think and consider my life’s journey so far, it seems to come round so quick nowadays,,,

I’m a really lucky bloke,, like all people my life has been a journey of ups and downs, but no matter how down it goes, it never seems to last long,, I have been blessed with a good work ethic, and I think a generous giving nature, sure maybe people would say too generous, to my detriment, but I don’t think so,,,

I have come to believe that no matter how much I need, or what I think I want, something happens in life that gives you just enough to live with a smile on your face,, and I would like you to remember, because I do often, that no matter what you have, or think you havnt, you only have to walk around with an observational eye and you will come across, and see lots and lots of people who have a lot less, and have to put up and live with more heartache than we ever will !!!

I am lucky enough to have been the beneficiary of some funsters generosity this year, I have no idea why, but it came at an amazing time for me, and it seemed to kickstart an extremely positive reaction towhere my year has ended up,,,

early this year I lost my mum, as you probably know, that coupled with a few other minor setbacks, put me a bit out of kilter, I lost a bit of direction, and motivation, but with a lot of positivity from people I managed to turn it round,, and it’s only when Emerging from those dark times that I realised what selfish thoughts I had,, it was all why me, I’m unlucky,what did I do to deserve this shit! Not giving or sparing a thought for anyone else,,,,, But then I was reminded of the day I took my dad to the hospital, just to get some results,, We were sitting in a waiting area and it was full of children and teens that all had one type of cancer or another,, after chatting to a few, laughing and joking with them my dad said to me,,, I’ve had a great life Ian,, I’ve been all over the world, had a great career,, met and fell in love with your mum, had a family,, And now I sit here and I find myself wishing I could take all these problems from these kids and pass away with all their cancers,and let them live a normal life!! But it don’t work like that!!

I’m not a religious bloke, I think I believe in a god, to an extent, but I’m a firm believer in karma, doing good for others, and what goes round comes round, and I do know that some of you do too !!

anyway, this time of year, I know, is harder for some than others, but I, for one, will be counting my blessings, thanking someone for my health and all the support I have recieved from you all,,

I’m looking forward to 2020,, I believe it’s going to be a good year for me, I'm excited about it,,,

I shall think of Helga, often, and the opportunity she gave me to meet and or chat to, both online and in the real world, the people I did,,, I feel blessed to have had the chance to do what I’ve done for the last 4/5years,, and it’s a part of my life I will never forget!!
But as life is,,, we all move on,, and now I’m ready for another chapter, adventure, and a journey that will take me god knows where,,,

But wherever it goes and whatever happens I will try to keep a smile on my face and an open heart,,,,

thanks for this year, it’s been emotional! Lol

merry Christmas, happy new year, and I will chat later! Xxxxxxxxx. Thank you Motorhome fun,,,, I love you all ,,,, xxxxx

Last edited:

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
xmas-eve.png

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Yeah, keep it up , take no notice of the title of this forum, you are a big part of it, and it would be a sad loss not to hear what you are getting up to :xThumb: ;).
In any case when your new enterprise makes your fortune you will be getting a brand new hymer.
Happy Christmas ianthebuilder from Charlie , Julie and all the family.
They all keep asking how you are doing.:xgrin::xgrin::xgrin:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back