LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Rouen !!!! Be warned. dependant upon sat nav and getting in wrong lane, some simple instructions to avoid turning motorhome roof into a pile of rubble

Might be worthy.

Without a satnav, byspassing Rouen caused no end of problems last year, ended up in the town centre and trying to get out was hassle beyond belief. I believe others have struggled aswell.

Copied from MMM last month. (2014 i should think)

Over many years we have not found a sensible alternative to bypass Rouen. The motorway becomes Dual carriageway at the city's edge and drops down through a tunnel. Exit this in the inside lane and in 1.5km take the 3rd exit signed to Vernon. The slip road ends in traffic lights - go in the centre lane to turn left across a dual carriageway. You should now be in the right hand lane for the next set of lights. Go straight on then bear right onto the D6015 signed for Vernon. In a little while the Seine appears on your right and you are clear of the City.

I would be really tempted to keep these instructions they were written by a driver for a driver and worked really well for us.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We travelled from Brittany to Calais last week. We don’t take the toll roads ( none in Brittany anyway) and generally have to go through Rouen, which is usually pretty straightforward
This time, however we took Le Bac de Quillebeuf-sur-Seine.
It’s a free ferry across the Seine. I can recommend it. There is also an aire close by, ideal for a lunch stop before catching Le Bac, which runs 2 or 3 times an hour, depending on demand.

alanalmoff

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
March
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2001
There were some yellow jackets at a roundabout in Rouen last week (6th April) , gave them a hoot and a thumbs up, got all cheers and smiles

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
What do I legally need to carry in my car when driving in France?
The French law requires each car to carry warning triangles, high-vis jackets for all occupants (which must be easily accessible) and a French government certified (NF) breathalyser or alcohol detection test kit. Previously there was a fine for not carrying an unused alcohol testing device in your car.

However, that was revoked back in 2013. Which means, it is best to carry a breathalyser with you, but you will not be fined should you be found to not have one. Reflective jackets must also be within reach for all passengers.

Driving abroad: your holiday car guide

Drivers in right-hand drive cars will also need to fit headlamp beam deflectors to avoid dazzling other road users. If your car does not have a number plate that includes the GB euro-symbol you must also invest in a GB sign to attach to your car.

No hands-free and Bluetooth devices
car_photo_442027.jpg

In a further effort to increase road safety, France has also banned the use of all mobile phone hands-free and Bluetooth devices. This is something all UK drivers must remember as a €135 fine awaits those who are chatting away.

No speed camera detectors
Those looking to get to their destination a little faster will have to do so without speed camera detectors, which are also illegal in France. If your navigation system comes with them, you are by law required to disable the alerts. Failure to do so can result in a €1,500 fine.

Aug 10, 2018
Funster No
Spare bulbs?? Surely out-dated with the introduction of LED lights which can only be changed at a dealers.

Anyone know what the official attitude is to this? Not hearsay please.

Rod
Requirement has been dropped by the Spanish Authorities quoting how complex it can now be to change a bulb. Check the Guardia N332 site.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Agree with all @Tanya_and_Mick ‘s recommendations, and @tonka ’s Steve’s route is brilliant.

Google Translate also good - and if all else fails ...

upload_2019-4-13_18-16-13.jpeg

http://www.pocketcomms.co.uk/index.php/catalogue/26 - brilliant!

After years of travelling through France, and thoroughly enjoying our experiences,(n) we spent 8 weeks in Spain from January to March - suffice to say we’re doing Plymouth to Santander for the next few years! (y)

Above all - chill and have an amazing time. :)

Hilewaychile

Free Member
Oct 10, 2017
Very variable. UK and Spain are the loci
Funster No
MH
DIY Vaux Movano
Exp
10 years, on and off.
"Google Translate " is brilliant to have on your phone. You can press "conversation " and it'll speak for you. Found that out after days of typing !:rolleyes:

The Spanish person doing the talking is unintelligible to locals. Think Prof Hawkins computer voice. Or Dalek- speak.

I tried it a few times on the crew fettling my flat in Valencia. Produced a combo of hilarity and bemusement.

What is amazing is using the camera function with translate. Photograph text and it magically turns it into English (or whatever). Or vice versa. Useful for instructions in a foreign lang or letting a native read your English document.

Hilewaychile

Free Member
Oct 10, 2017
Very variable. UK and Spain are the loci
Funster No
MH
DIY Vaux Movano
Exp
10 years, on and off.
Nobody yet mentioned stop signs at junctions. There are a lot in France and they do expect you to stop even if obviously clear.

A point well made despite the quip below. I think it was on MHF that someone reported being nicked because, as the cop said in perfect English "your wheels were still turning".

OP
OP
J
Mar 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
We’re taking the hi viz out of their packets and putting them in door pockets. Agree best to apply for crit air online today. Are you using sat nav or a paper map too?
Food wise, agree with tea bags and cereal. Possibly 1 UHT milk ... we always seem to turn up when shops are shut!
Otherwise enjoy, meander and explore. I’m not a great fan of the French coast (although north and west are better than south) but I do love the countryside. Some of our best spots have been next to rivers.
Hi viz jackets in doors. Have got email back saying my crit air application has gone through and my sticker will arrive shortly( I will be gone by the time that arrives, I’m hoping that the pdf, will be enough proof to not get fined?). Tea bags sorted. Thanks.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Spare bulbs?? Surely out-dated with the introduction of LED lights which can only be changed at a dealers.

Anyone know what the official attitude is to this? Not hearsay please.

Rod

Good point @rod_vw I will ask some of my French friends and thinking laterally the Spanish Police I have as friends elsewhere

Messages sent will report back when I get answers

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Re carrying spare bulbs
Good point @rod_vw I will ask some of my French friends and thinking laterally the Spanish Police I have as friends elsewhere
Messages sent will report back when I get answers

Reply from N332 police group for Spain

Law was modified, as you explained, nowadays it is difficult to change bulbs for that reason you won't be fined if you don´t have them in the vehicle.

Not got a definitive reply yet about France

OP
OP
J
Mar 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
In Portsmouth overnight, before catching ferry to Caen tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully we’ve got everything

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
An app called 'word lens' is useful. Point the camera at a notice and get a translation.
Did not know that Google translate provides similar function as mentioned above.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Don’t forget to look out for “priority a droite “ all coming back in France now . Means cars coming out of silly little side roads have priority over main road traffic

OP
OP
J
Mar 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Don’t forget to look out for “priority a droite “ all coming back in France now . Means cars coming out of silly little side roads have priority over main road traffic
What!

Nov 9, 2011
N Somerset
Funster No
MH
C class Swift Bolero
Exp
Agree regards stopping completely at stop signs, got caught last year wheels just about turning, road clear for at least 1/2 mile each way but didn't spot boys in blue hidden in a drive, 90 euro fine !!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Agree regards stopping completely at stop signs, got caught last year wheels just about turning, road clear for at least 1/2 mile each way but didn't spot boys in blue hidden in a drive, 90 euro fine !!
Used to be same in UK years ago with HALT signs,,BUSBY.

May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Beginners, got Doggy the van - March 2014
How many warning triangles you need to have in the car for travel in France?

Apr 21, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Newbie here

Is that right?
I thought that priority a droite had all but disappeared?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back