New Ducato Euro 6 Engine Performance (2 Viewers)

Jan 12, 2017
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero
Exp
Hi, has anyone got any views or first hand experience regarding the performance of the latest Euro 6 engines fitted to the Fiat Ducato, in particular the 130bhp Multijet Engine. We've just sold our 2009 Swift Bolero which had the Euro 4 130 bhp engine which had covered 30,000 trouble free miles and had been and performed just great. We've just bought a new Autotrail with the Euro 6 130 bhp engine upgrade but although it has covered no miles (150 miles) seems positively slow in comparison and seems to suffer bad turbo lag pulling away. Is this normal until they have done a few thousand miles or do we have a problem? We never ever put a drop of oil in the Euro 4 engine between services (every 6,000 miles), but understand the new Euro 6 engine needs half a litre of special Petronas oil every 600 miles. I hope I haven't made a big mistake selling our older Bolero (Coachbuilt) for a new V Line 6.2m Panel Van Conversion. Has anyone had similair thoughts and experiences.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
I can’t stand driving our HYMER pig with the new 2.3 litre 180 engine but everyone is saying that they improve with some miles done .
Can’t see it myself it seems underpowered and hesitant and I really don’t like it .
Don’t get me started on the noise that Fiat Diesel engines make as they have now become a pet hate and can’t stand hearing one even drive past now (y)

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
We have a 130hp in an a class and to be honest I found it dangerously slow, we now have 12,000miles on it and now has a tuning box giving it about 150hp, and it is acceptable, anything more than 55-60 is hard work and really hits the fuel consumption, I only get about 27mpg at 55mph.
Having said the above, I would have thought 130hp in a pvc should be ok?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
I am watching this with interest - only 400miles and don't like it so far but told I will get to love it after a 2k miles!
180 bhp on a 4.5 ton. Having said that there is no where else to go other than a merc engine.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We have the 2.3 Euro 6 130, I don’t seem to be having the problems you others are having, though I did notice a bit of turbo lag a couple of times earlier, but that seems to have gone in the last 1200 miles or so. I do think it’s a little quicker than my old 2.2 hdi Peugeot Euro5 though.
We’ve had it since 12th October and done 2040 miles. It’s very quiet and pulls well, has averaged just over 27mpg and I haven’t had to top the oil up yet either.
One thing I noticed is that it gets a bit noisy on hard acceleration over 2500 revs, but I rarely rev it above 2000 so it’s not a problem. I’m pretty sure my Pug was similar, but I think Peugeots have noisy engines anyway, especially when pulling away when cold.
It does motor well though, I generally drive around the legal limit on motorways in France and topped 70 easily in the U.K. ( sat nav says max speed was 78 at one point)
Van is plated at 3850, similar weight to our Euro 5 van.

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
We have the 180 with a Comfortmatic box on our new Hymer and it seems to go very well, happily cruising at 70 but it has an incredibly noisy howl that appears at 1100 rpm and disappears at 1400 rpm. I have been told "they all do this sir, it’s a characteristic" by the local Fiat Commercial garage but I’m not sure, I will be taking it elsewhere soon for a second opinion.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
..........incredibly noisy howl that appears at 1100 rpm and disappears at 1400 rpm. I have been told "they all do this sir, it’s a characteristic" by the local Fiat Commercial garage but I’m not sure, I will be taking it elsewhere soon for a second opinion.
Our 130 doesnt howl but maybe that’s a characteristic of the 180. I doubt it though.

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
We rejected our last MH due to various problems, one of them is still happening with its replacement. 2.3 180bhp. For the first 10 mins of running (until up to temperature) it runs like a snail with hiccups, once it's warm it's ok. Other than a problem with raised blood pressure for the driver we can cope with this, but not sure how we would manage if we were pulling straight out onto a busy main road. Fiat didn't manage to sort the last one out so we are hoping that a bit of mileage will improve the problem.
As far as lack of torque once warmed up we have had a Steinbauer power module fitted, it does the job.

Garratt

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Miskin
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer D55+
Exp
Since 2017
They definitely improve with running. We’ve now done 12,000 miles and it pulls like a train, but for the first 5000 it felt sluggish and underpowered. We also had the hiccups when cold for the first few thousand miles but that too has gone.

Where did you get the information about oil top ups? I’ve not had to add any oil yet.

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Yes they need to be driven ‘harder’ then the Euro 4 or 5 . You need to keep the rpm above 2200 to be in the tourque. band . Our 180 has covered 12k now and goes well but they are Overgeared. They do not respond to lows revs . I preferred our 3.00litre but I suppose this is progress!

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
mine growls a bit on hard accleration but after 12,000 miles its as fast as my euro 4 x250 regarding the oil consumption i have no problems at all mine is quite a low profile and 30 mpg is normal more if i go into old peeps mode but only a little more

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
After an Iveco 3 litre I hated the 2.3 150 engine; very sluggish and noisy. Fairly economical though, but you really had to give it the berries when joining a road or motorway. Now got a Merc V6. What a difference

ebo

Nov 9, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class Carado i449
Exp
Since 2009
Having changed from a Euro4 160bhp 3lt 4250kg to the Euro6 130bhp 2.3lt 3850kg, the difference was staggering, but I think I had been spoilt by the 3lt that drove beautifully with nothing being a problem for it. The new one has taken a while to get used to, It's a lot noisier and feels very underpowered, most noticeable when first pulling away and on inclines, where i'm having to change down several gears. However, having done a lot of touring in the Alps this year, where I thought I might have a problem, I found that if you make sure you're in the right gear and at the right revs, it will pull like a train. I have now done about 6000mls and I don't know if it's getting any better or my driving style has adapted to suit, probably a bit of both. It is the only thing I'm disappointed about having changed to a new van.
Fuel consumption is around 25mpg and I drive steadily everywhere, haven't noticed any oil consumption.

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
I have a 2018 Euro 6, 150BHP with comfortmatic on 3850kg. Can't say I am worried about being under powered, it goes fine. OK, on steeper inclines it can labour a bit but can still keep to the speed limits. I have only done about 3500 miles and only get 22mpg. No problems withg oil usage either. So, I am not complaining, it's fine for me. (y)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
We have a new 130 and it runs like a dream. 4000 miles now and super smooth. Just the very odd hiccough but otherwise all good. MPG on our PVC started out at around 31 and now settled around 36. Generally I drive at 50 MPH on A roads and 60 MPH on motorways.

Had the 130 Euro5 before and not really noticed much difference.

It drives like a van...... that’s normal (y)

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Glad this thread has been raised, as I also had a few questions on the Fiat 2.3 2 Euro 6 Turbo Diesel.
We have a 2017 Carthago C tourer coachbuilt, we opted for the 150BHP on a manual Box, because I looked at the power curve difference between the 130, 150 & 180 and the 150 seemed to be the sensible choice as it was much better than the 130 because of its different turbo, and not that far short of the 180BHP.
We have now done 3500 miles, and pulling a load of 3850KG,s or slightly less, the performance is shall we say lackluster. I am always a bit disappointed having got up a good head of steam say on dual carriageway, of how the speed falls off quickly on a long incline, making me change down from 6th to 5th to 4th, sometimes 3rd to try and maintain 35-40 mph. I also find because of this that the van happiest gear is 5th, not that much difference from 6th other than maybe fuel savings. The change indicator light is rubbish, so gets ignored, as I find that I have already gauged the road conditions on an incline before it has, and changed down beforehand, I also change up well after it says I should have without thrashing it above 2.5K RPM
Not added any oil as yet, cab is pretty well noise insulated so not too many headaches driving long distances.
I always wonder how the larger A class vans cope on this 150BHP engine pulling 4500KG,s they must be like slugs on inclines. I noticed a large A class at our dealers last month(Carthago C Tourer) with a 130 engine on a heavy alco chassis at 4250+, and I thought that will be a lemon.
No doubt others that have done higher mileages will having read this, cheer us up, as they say the engines have to do 8 to 12 K miles before they loosen up and become more responsive.
We are getting 24-27mpg, depends on traffic and terrain though.
Les

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Glad this thread has been raised, as I also had a few questions on the Fiat 2.3 2 Euro 6 Turbo Diesel.
We have a 2017 Carthago C tourer coachbuilt, we opted for the 150BHP on a manual Box, because I looked at the power curve difference between the 130, 150 & 180 and the 150 seemed to be the sensible choice as it was much better than the 130 because of its different turbo, and not that far short of the 180BHP.
We have now done 3500 miles, and pulling a load of 3850KG,s or slightly less, the performance is shall we say lackluster. I am always a bit disappointed having got up a good head of steam say on dual carriageway, of how the speed falls off quickly on a long incline, making me change down from 6th to 5th to 4th, sometimes 3rd to try and maintain 35-40 mph. I also find because of this that the van happiest gear is 5th, not that much difference from 6th other than maybe fuel savings. The change indicator light is rubbish, so gets ignored, as I find that I have already gauged the road conditions on an incline before it has, and changed down beforehand, I also change up well after it says I should have without thrashing it above 2.5K RPM
Not added any oil as yet, cab is pretty well noise insulated so not too many headaches driving long distances.
I always wonder how the larger A class vans cope on this 150BHP engine pulling 4500KG,s they must be like slugs on inclines. I noticed a large A class at our dealers last month(Carthago C Tourer) with a 130 engine on a heavy alco chassis at 4250+, and I thought that will be a lemon.
No doubt others that have done higher mileages will having read this, cheer us up, as they say the engines have to do 8 to 12 K miles before they loosen up and become more responsive.
We are getting 24-27mpg, depends on traffic and terrain though.
Les
I honestly think an awful lot really depends on your driving style as some (The doddery old farts that hold everyone else up ) seem to be happy .(y)
I tend to drive everything like I stole it so the 2.3 compared to other vans we have had definitely seems under powered and I am beginning to hate it the more I drive it .
I was very close to buying the Merc with the 3.0 litre v6 but so many of the salesmen and others have told me that I would love the engine and gearbox, but that the stability compared to the Fiat twin axle the Merc is horrible and some say approaches being dangerous, again I do tend to throw the van about as us country boys see narrow lanes as race tracks (y)

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I just like to keep up with the traffic,plod along at 60/65 on motorways etc, but I do get somewhat embarrassed, when I am foot to the metal, up long inclines trying to keep up with an HGV in front, sometimes I have been overtaken by them when they are empty on hills:eek:
Les

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We have A 2017 Euro 6 2.3, 150 hp. 4500kg chassis running at 4000 kg. After the last van a 150 hp Euro 5+ the Euro 6 was dog and I was wishing I'd ordered a 180 hp.
Just over a year on and 14,000 miles very pleased with it. Took 4000 miles to start to loosen up and gradually got better until it appeared to be on full song at 10,000 miles.

A couple of criticisms, the cruise control doesn't work as smoothly as on the Euro 5+, and on long inclines with the cruise on the gearbox constantly hunts between 5th and 6th gear.

Our first van was a 130 Euro 4 it was ok but without the variable vane turbo, in the mountains on hairpin bends if you let the revs drop and it lost turbo boost the engine almost stalled. One reason I would never have the 130 again even in a light van.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Do you have an auto gearbox presumably with it hunting for gear it is?

ebo

Nov 9, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class Carado i449
Exp
Since 2009
I just like to keep up with the traffic,plod along at 60/65 on motorways etc, but I do get somewhat embarrassed, when I am foot to the metal, up long inclines trying to keep up with an HGV in front, sometimes I have been overtaken by them when they are empty on hills:eek:
Les
Absolutely agree, my experience as well.

Garratt

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Miskin
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer D55+
Exp
Since 2017
I honestly think an awful lot really depends on your driving style as some (The doddery old farts that hold everyone else up ) seem to be happy . (y)

You haven’t said how many miles you’ve done with your Hymer. I also drive with a heavy right foot and it took several thousand miles for the engine to come on song, to the point where I no longer think it’s a problem.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
You haven’t said how many miles you’ve done with your Hymer. I also drive with a heavy right foot and it took several thousand miles for the engine to come on song, to the point where I no longer think it’s a problem.
Coming up to 5 k now

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Got the 2.3 Multijet 2 150 Euro 6 with Comfortmatic. 3500 kg PVC. Done over 4000 miles and the engine seems to be still loosening up and getting smoother.

1. When cold there is some engine hesitation at about 55 mph in the first couple of miles but it picks up again with a bit more throttle then clears when the engine warms up a bit more. Fuel mapping bug in the ECU? Sensor glitch? Or a case of "they all do that"?

2. No difficulty at all climbing hills, or long motorway inclines which it romps up in 6th with oomph to spare. I don't tend to use cruise control so maybe that's where the issue lies.

3. It has used a small bit of oil according to the trip computer thingy but not enough to need topping up.

So far so good. The 150 is worth the extra money from my POV although at the time of Order it was a leap in the dark. (Originally I was hoping for the 3 litre Euro 5+ engine but Fiat had dropped that by the time I had the money lined up. I believe that lump would have made the 5.4 m PVC quite sporty. A pity.)

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I was talking to a mechanic mate about this a while ago,and he suggested three important things to do:
1. Thrash it.

2.Thrash it.

3. Thrash it.

He said you have to remember it’s country of origin!

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I think we need to compare "horses with horses" :D on this engine performance thread, in that there is obviously going to be a big difference between a PVC, Coachbuilt & A class, not just in weights but aerodynamics also.
I'm envious of @SpeedyDux "oomph up hills" but dont think we can ever expect that in a coachbuilt or A Class somehow:(
Good to read however that Fiats tend to loosen up and be more responsive after 4,8 & 10 K miles, so things can only get better(y)
Oh,Feel a song comin on:)
Cheers everyone.
Les

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I think we need to compare "horses with horses" :D on this engine performance thread, in that there is obviously going to be a big difference between a PVC, Coachbuilt & A class, not just in weights but aerodynamics also.
I'm envious of @SpeedyDux "oomph up hills" but dont think we can ever expect that in a coachbuilt or A Class somehow:(
Good to read however that Fiats tend to loosen up and be more responsive after 4,8 & 10 K miles, so things can only get better(y)
Oh,Feel a song comin on:)
Cheers everyone.
Les

From what you said, yours does seem to be down on power, so unless the full 150 horses turn up soon you should get that investigated before the warranty runs out.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back