Owning a Motorhome and Dating Sites Don't Mix (2 Viewers)

Aug 18, 2017
Antequera, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SP
Exp
5 years and still learning
Because I don't frequent pubs and clubs on a regular basis and I go to the supermarket to buy essentials like beer and rum, not to find a "soulmate", a friend suggested why not try a dating site.
I thought why not, there must be some ladies out there that would like to go exploring in a motorhome.
Result so far are disappointing to say the least.

#1 Me: Do you think you would like to try a trip away in the motorhome?
Her: Over my dead body!

#2 Me: I own a motorhome and plan to travel around the UK
Her: I rent a flat and go to Majorca for 2 weeks every year

#3 Me: So you like camping, have you ever been away in a motorhome?
Her: No, I go to a campsite in Rhyl, we rent an 6 berth caravan there.

#4 Me: Think of a motorhome as a small self-catering apartment on wheels
Her: Think of it as something I ain't never going to do!

Final analysis: My friend owes me the damned subscription to this so called dating site and I'll go back to the supermarket tomorrow to purchase more rum to drown my sorrows!:D2

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I think you need to keep trying, you will find someone that likes the idea of a MH touring holiday, but maybe not on a first date.:D Patience is a virtue...some daft bugger once told me.
Book yourself on some funster rallies, and bring your bottle of Rum with you.(y)
Best wishes
Les

Jan 22, 2017
North wales
Funster No
MH
Ace Napoli (Swift)
Exp
Since February 2019
I think you need to keep trying, you will find someone that likes the idea of a MH touring holiday, but maybe not on a first date.:D Patience is a virtue...some daft bugger once told me.
Book yourself on some funster rallies, and bring your bottle of Rum with you.(y)
Best wishes
Les
Don't give up so easily

Jan 22, 2017
North wales
Funster No
MH
Ace Napoli (Swift)
Exp
Since February 2019
Ha ha...yes I have plans for Easter...mind you I had plans for this weekend but got car trouble so had to change plans...now awaiting verdict on said car...earliest indications are drive shaft needs replacing....boo .boo!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
@Tibbo be patient,:LOL: you'll meet plenty of like like minded folks at the shows and rallies and you'll be surprised how many solo women motorhomers there are out there. Even the warden at Barnard Castle commented on it to me the other week when i booked in.

Just muck in and enjoy the rallies.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Well - @Tibbo - you might just might be pleasantly surprised because @Jim announced some while ago he was about to start a travel partner/ dating site on here! :)

It was to be a travel partner site. But the few desperate men who saw it as a dating site ruined what might have been. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2009
Chandlers Ford, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner TD700 H L
Exp
Since 2008
Keep trying is what I say ...I met these Funsters...one was a bit of a dog :eek:

111015_GirlsGoneMotoCoach.jpg

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp
I was going to include this one:
Her: If you own a motorhome, you must be well off
Me: (Joking) Not really, I will have it paid off about the same time as my funeral plan
Her: She blocked me!
....you are lucky she did...you don't want someone like that :) I also had the best fun for a couple of years and kissed many frogs before I met my prince on the internet.....we've been married 18 years now and still as happy if not more so than the first time we met.....so you have fun whilst looking:D Oh yes, I was living on my 60 foot narrwboat at the time...having a ball....I let my house and bought a narrowboat to have some fun following divorce.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Agree with others, a dating site won't be the best place.. it takes a very special kind of woman to enjoy living in a tin box with a chemical toilet..

Tip.. once you find one.. treasure her.. and make sure she can cook a full English breakfast and Roast Beef dinner on a two ring gas hob, light a barbie with two sticks, knows how to do a full engine service and empty a cassette toilet (y)

PS ,, when you find her, ask if she has a sister ;)

A quick Google lists several groups / forums for solo campers , not going to post links..

google >> motorhome singles clubs

I met Jan 31 years ago.. first thing I asked .. do you like camping, she said yes.. we went to Oban in a two man tent and it rained non stop for about a week,,, soaked through I thought that would be the end of either dating her or camping.. but she loved it.. the rest is history

Last edited:

Frankiej

Free Member
Aug 24, 2017
New Forest
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
26 years

There’s plenty of men on the dating sites who are just window shopping as well...
In my case, it was me (female) with the campervan and the man I met had to adjust from his 5 star corporate hotel lifestyle. It was the first date for both of us and three and a half years later we are still together.
Since then we have had adventures, including 4 weeks last year in an autosleeper symphony, going round Ireland, went to music festivals and shows, but also do some traditional type holidays.
Not all women are the same, nor are all men.
I was lucky, but we hit it off with a similar sense of humour, family values and background. I believe that it is because we spent a lot of time chatting online and got to know a lot before we met and the conversation flowed easily. (Although we did meet a week after our first contact)

So OP, if you feel like trying again it might just be that this time you meet the right person. Don’t go for looks, any woman who has a face full of makeup and immaculate hairstyle is not going to be someone who adjusts to camper lifestyle very well... :)Get a sense of their character before you meet if possible. Don’t lead with questions about the motorhome, put it in your profile, but get to know someone gradually before you introduce them to the concept.

Sometimes you get lucky first time.

Oh, and the first time I got my fella to come away, to a pub site for the weekend, about six months after we met, he wasn’t feeling all that well. We got everything set up, had a meal in the pub with our friends, very nice. He spent the whole night with a hacking cough and a temperature, so much so that I said it wasn’t a good idea, and we packed up and left the next morning!

We joke that he worked very hard to get out of it!

Oh and a holiday in the Caribbean.....holds absolutely no interest for me! Far too hot for my liking! :D

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Yes I’ve found that dating sites and motorhomes don’t mix.
Her. You’re going away in the van this weekend, though we could go to this restaurant. Me paying of course.
Her. Why don’t you sell the van and we could go on cruises instead.

My answer to the above two explains why I’m still single, probably to remain so forever :)

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
It was to be a travel partner site. But the few desperates who saw it as a dating site ruined what might have been.
Im going to respond to that with a view of my own which i remember having at the time...
You gave free initial membership to a number of us on fun at the time ...me been one of them... sandra @irnbru been another.... from memory we were all solos, so yes id have to admit it could havebeen looked on as a possible dating site.. but to say it was that that killed it isnt the case imo...
It was the £15 for 6 months membership or whatever the deal was to be...
Again imo far to much... and i seem to remember saying so at the time..
The new site didnt seem to be offering anything that wasnt already available on fun...
Just my opinion of course.. and i didnt care for your reference to a few killing it because we were treating it as a dating site...
Andy.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Im going to respond to that with a view of my own which i remember having at the time...
You gave free initial membership to a number of us on fun at the time ...me been one of them... sandra @irnbru been another.... from memory we were all solos, so yes id have to admit it could havebeen looked on as a possible dating site.. but to say it was that that killed it isnt the case imo...
It was the £15 for 6 months membership or whatever the deal was to be...
Again imo far to much... and i seem to remember saying so at the time..
The new site didnt seem to be offering anything that wasnt already available on fun...
Just my opinion of course.. and i didnt care for your reference to a few killing it because we were treating it as a dating site...
Andy.

Yes but you you weren’t privy to the constant complaints I received. The subs were there as a barrier to stop the drive by comments etc. I thought it would have been something I could set up and leave be, but the constant attention that I had to give the place because of a few sad people made it unworkable for me, I just didn’t have the time or the inclination.

xgx

Free Member
Jul 7, 2016
North Cambs/South Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
umptynine years
Thanks for sharing your experience Tibbo, I'd thought about trying it but I'm a bit choosy 'she'*
would have to meet strict criteria:
Pretty enough to take out in daylight, ugly enough to be grateful ....still looking ;)

*even my corkscrew's straight

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Yes but you you weren’t privy to the constant complaints I received.
Well im surprised... cause i cant think of anything that would have given rise to complaints on that site at the time... as you say it hardly took off and for the money was never likely to... most of the posting was confined to people introducing themselves...
Was it not a bit naive to think you could just set it up and let it take care of its self... you dont get something for nothing... so to charge that sort of money and expect it for having to make no effort again seems naive to me..
Like i say im peed off at your reference to a few desperate blokes killing it...
I was one of the blokes who was trying to get the site off the ground for you... i may not have been the best choice in terms of my social skills:LOL:
But i always try to be friendly and polite...(y):D

Andy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back