Malmo from UK (1 Viewer)

Hollyholidayhouse

Free Member
Oct 23, 2017
Funster No
Hi, We have been throwing ideas around for our first MH trip abroad and currently looking at visiting family in Malmo (Sweden), trouble is I'm struggling to find a decent ferry crossing from the UK !, looking on here a ferry from Germany seems the best option. Does anybody have experience of this or other crossings ?

We will be spending 5 days in Malmo before touring a few key places in Sweden, returning to Malmo & flying home, the In-laws will then fly in and pick up the MH and do pretty much the same before making their way back to UK.

Any opinions of where to visit & ferry crossings/routes woul dbe much appreciated.

Cheers,

Hollyholidayhouse

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We did it a few years ago, we got ferry from Newcastle to Amsterdam we then drove to Travemunde (spelling) then got ferry from their to just south of Malmo

OP
OP
Hollyholidayhouse

Hollyholidayhouse

Free Member
Oct 23, 2017
Funster No
We did it a few years ago, we got ferry from Newcastle to Amsterdam we then drove to Travemunde (spelling) then got ferry from their to just south of Malmo
Sounds like a great route, i'll start looking into it :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
You dont say where you are starting from , as that is quite factor ?

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We've driven to Malmö. We used Harwich to Hook of Holland overnight. We stopped off Amsterdam, and used the Puttgarden to Rødby ferry,staying overnight at Puttgarden. Then we stopped off at Copenhagen and took the Øresund bridge to Sweden and on to Malmö.
The drive Amsterdam to Puttgarden was too long so an intermediate stop would be good.
We wanted to visit Amsterdam and Copenhagen so stayed a 2 or 3 nights in each place.
You can get a combined ticket ferry from Puttgarden and Øresund bridge .

Apr 29, 2014
isle of man
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Hi have done a trip in reverse 2 years ago The south of Malmo port is Trellborg good road links and ended up in Travenmunde we used the TT lines excellent boat (The Robin Hood) not one of the most modern vessels but comfortable. Going the other way from the Hook had a nightstop on Germany then onto Keil for the 15 hr crossing to Gothenburg enjoy your trip

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
3 simplest options for Malmo - Use the bridge - Ferries - TT Line - or Finnlines from Travemunde -
We have found Finnlines very good and they have early booker offers on -

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
Unless the tariff structures for the bridges have changed since I looked 4 or 5 years ago, it may be worth bearing in mind the weight of your motorhome. Up to 3500 kg wasn’t too bad - above that the cost got a bit eye-watering!

OP
OP
Hollyholidayhouse

Hollyholidayhouse

Free Member
Oct 23, 2017
Funster No
Starting from Ely so Harwich is probably closest ?

Deleted User
I went through Malmo recently and had to go via Cambridge which isnt to far from Ely. I went through the eurotunnel. I calculated that Amsterdam would save close to 200 miles each way of driving, however, was a much slower journey by ferry than driving via eurotunnel and I was in a bit of a rush. For the same reason I also drove over the bridges rather than the Puttgarden ferry which would have saved me a further 90 miles each way. On this occasion I drove straight through (about 16 hours from memory), however, when I have done the journey with plenty of time I have stopped at Brugge and again close to Hamburg before the last leg to Malmo via Puttgarden, the ferry providing a nice break. Bridge or ferry it is quite expensive crossing from Germany to Sweden via Denmark. Amsterdam route will avoid Antwerp which seems to become more congested every year although you will still encounter major roadworks almost anywhere in Germany.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I used to work for a Swedish company and if I had to drive over it was ferry to Netherlands then drive up and either the bridge or a ferry from Denmark.

Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
Unless the tariff structures for the bridges have changed since I looked 4 or 5 years ago, it may be worth bearing in mind the weight of your motorhome. Up to 3500 kg wasn’t too bad - above that the cost got a bit eye-watering!

I think it is the length which is critical. For both the Puttgarten ferry and the Copenhagen - Malmo bridge I was asked what the length of our camping car was. When I gave the answer of 6 metres it was queried until I pointed out the model reference - P600 and told them that the 600 was the length. It didn't seem to matter that I had a part-loaded cycle rack sticking out further.

Incidentally, it was the first time I have been on a ferry where it was possible to drive on and off without either the ferry or the vehicles having to turn about. That is to say, the ferry has a sharp bit at each end. It also takes trains on board through the same opening(s).

J

OP
OP
Hollyholidayhouse

Hollyholidayhouse

Free Member
Oct 23, 2017
Funster No
3500 for us so hopefully on the cheaper side of things.

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
I’ve just checked - the Oresund bridge from Denmark to Sweden is entirely length dependent. Up to 6m, 50€ one way, over 6m 100€. (https://www.oresundsbron.com/en/prices)

But the Storebaelt bridge (forgive the spelling!) within Denmark is a hybrid - up to 6m and under 3500 kg is 34€, up to 6m up to 3500 kg is 51€, 6-10m over 3500 kg is 100€. (

When I looked at it our van was 6.7m and 3850 kg - so 200€ each way!

OP
OP
Hollyholidayhouse

Hollyholidayhouse

Free Member
Oct 23, 2017
Funster No
So Newcastle to Gothenberg is no longer in service.

Really got to be practical & balance the amount of driving with occasional crossings, so hard so so hard !

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Can't search now as me tea's ready but there was a lot of discussion on the cost of bridge crossings on the @DavidG58 thread and/or the @Robert Clark thread on Norway. I seem to remember someone mentioning you could get a discount for frequent travel or something similar for the Danish/Swedish crossing.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I’ve just checked - the Oresund bridge from Denmark to Sweden is entirely length dependent. Up to 6m, 50€ one way, over 6m 100€. (https://www.oresundsbron.com/en/prices)

But the Storebaelt bridge (forgive the spelling!) within Denmark is a hybrid - up to 6m and under 3500 kg is 34€, up to 6m up to 3500 kg is 51€, 6-10m over 3500 kg is 100€. (

When I looked at it our van was 6.7m and 3850 kg - so 200€ each way!

Can't search now as me tea's ready but there was a lot of discussion on the cost of bridge crossings on the @DavidG58 thread and/or the @Robert Clark thread on Norway. I seem to remember someone mentioning you could get a discount for frequent travel or something similar for the Danish/Swedish crossing.

those quoted figures are quite right and the instructions are to carry your V5 so they can confirm your weight at tolls

we thought we had is cracked, can recall the official term now but the frequent traveller option works very well for MH's, we paid about €40 for a biz pass then only about €40 EW for the crossings which we did both ways

mistake I made was presuming the lower rate would apply to the Storebaelt crossing as well, this is a near identical set up to the Orendsun crossing, not sure exactly what we paid now on the SB but think it was nearer to the €100 each way :( although the biz pass worked, the full rate was charged.

with that knowledge and if travelling without a dog we would use the ferry option to avoid the SB bit, save some miles and that has discount included with the biz pass (y)

Flatlander

Free Member
Sep 25, 2017
Funster No
Exp
Since I was a toddler.
I've written some of this before on here, but its worth repeating.

After having travelled between the UK and Sweden over 30 or 40 times during the last 40 years or so, and using vehicles of all sizes, from 2 to 18 wheels, my own personal favourite way to get from the UK is to use the Hull-Rotterdam ferry. As others have said though, Harwich might be more convenient from Ely.

Regarding the frequent traveller passes. The one to use is called "Autobizz." This gives discount on not only the Öresund bridge (Denmark to Sweden), but also the Rödby-Puttgarden ferry, Stora Belt bridge, and all Scandlines crossings between Germany or Denmark to Sweden. The "Brobizz" gives discount only over the Öresund bridge.

Deleted User
I used to have Brobizz and it also worked on the Stora Belt Bridge as well as Scanlines, can't imagine they have changed it. Was worth getting even if only using occassionally

Flatlander

Free Member
Sep 25, 2017
Funster No
Exp
Since I was a toddler.
I used to have Brobizz and it also worked on the Stora Belt Bridge as well as Scanlines, can't imagine they have changed it. Was worth getting even if only using occassionally

In July, 2016 Brobizz/Bropass did not work over Stora Belt. Of that I am certain. Neither did it work on the Rödby/Puttgarden ferry. Although we did get discount on that by using the ECC card. It was on that trip we were advised to upgrade to Autobizz, which we did later in Autumn. This year, everything worked as it should have.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
There's a Facebook group pushing for the reopening of the Harwich to Esbjerg link dropped by DFDF three years ago. May not achieve anything but anybody signing up can only help the numbers to raise awareness, perhaps for another operator to open a link to anywhere in Scandinavia.

It's been mentioned many times that the Immingham freight route no longer takes leisure passengers however much they are willing to pay, and it wasn't cheap. Something to do with Customs and Immigration measures.

OP
OP
Hollyholidayhouse

Hollyholidayhouse

Free Member
Oct 23, 2017
Funster No
So we have a rough plan.......

Flying out to Copenhagen, train to Malmo to pick up MH (Already in Malmo)
7 days in and around Malmo/South Sweden.
Drive through Denmark to Legoland for a 3nt stay
make out way down to Calais over 2 days stopping over at a couple of MH friendly sites
Dunkirk for a day
Eurotunnel to Folkstone,
Home

A big decision between extra driving and Train = less ££ vs less driving & overnight ferry more ££

Nothing booked yet apart from flight over so open to alternative suggestions/advice.

Cheers,

Hollyholidayhouse

Deleted User
If you are going South of Malmo there is a nice free motorhome aire at Ystad. No facilities, however, out of season easy to park up overlooking the sea, nice for a night or two if touring that area

Flatlander

Free Member
Sep 25, 2017
Funster No
Exp
Since I was a toddler.
If you are going South of Malmo there is a nice free motorhome aire at Ystad. No facilities, however, out of season easy to park up overlooking the sea, nice for a night or two if touring that area

Motorhomes have not been allowed to park on that one for a few weeks now.

Deleted User
That's a shame, must be a recent decision as it was still being rated on camper contact last month

Flatlander

Free Member
Sep 25, 2017
Funster No
Exp
Since I was a toddler.
Assuming the one mentioned is the one in the small boat harbour, then it closed for campers on 10/9.

@Reliant when will you be in Malmö? Depending on the date, I may be able to suggest other places.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back