130 and 150 hp ducato fuel consumption? (2 Viewers)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Can someone explain what the + is please and do I have it....?
Getting a bit personal:D

Late x250's & early x290' s had a slightly cleaner engine than the Euro5 and Fiat designated it Euro 5+ from 2013/2014 until Euro 6 came out in late 2016.

It will say the Euro rating on your C of C.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Getting a bit personal:D

Late x250's & early x290' s had a slightly cleaner engine than the Euro5 and Fiat designated it Euro 5+ from 2013/2014 until Euro 6 came out in late 2016.

Something else I haven’t got then.......:(

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Bottom line is that the engine power doesn't make much difference to mileage.

Going bigger and heavier with more pokey-out bits affects the mpg... so a panel van will do a few more mpg than a wider, taller, heavier MH.

But the biggest difference is cruising speed. At 50mph along the country roads, stroking it along, my little Ducato panel van conversion does 40mpg (managed that in the Highlands!). At 65mph, it's still managing over 35mpg. By the time I'm cruising at ~70mph (for occasional overtakes!), it's going to be 30mpg at best. Basically, we're driving things with the aerodynamics of a brick with knobs on. Drag is roughly square of the speed, so dropping a few ticks makes by far the biggest difference.

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
Our 130bhp A class drinks less than the wife.
Winner :):):);)

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
We had a Benimar Mileo 202 150 bhp Euro 5+ manual and it averaged 25.9 mpg at a steady 60mph we now have a Dethleffs Globus I1 150bhp Comfortmatic Euro 6 and it averages 25.7 mpg at a steady 60mph both models 3500 kgs , never owned a 130 bhp model but our friends Autotrail Navajo 130 bhp manual they said averaged 26 mpg when they were following us.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We've had PVCs with the 130 (2012) and 150 (2015) engines and haven't really noticed much difference in mpg, around 29-39 but hubby does like his speed and we visit lots of very, very, very hilly places and often end up at the top of winding mountain roads!

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I’ll be back home on Monday after about a 4K trip and I’ve kept all the receipts so will know what I’m exactly getting....

On a 2012 2.3 150 comformatic 4250k Euro 5 not sure whether I have the + or not... the dash shows about 25-27mpg on an average of 57mph

Ok, I did 4492 miles on our trip and bought 639.33 litres of diesel = 140.63 gallons and by my reckoning that equates to :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek: 31.94 mpg :Grin::Grin::Grin: I’m well pleased with that...:party:

:cycle:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Well I am jealous !!

We average 20.5 MPG if I keep it down to 55 MPH

Fiat 2.3 in an X250 chassis rated at 130 bh

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Well I am jealous !!

Well you would go and buy a big one ... serves you right! :D2

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
We've had PVCs with the 130 (2012) and 150 (2015) engines and haven't really noticed much difference in mpg, around 29-39 but hubby does like his speed and we visit lots of very, very, very hilly places and often end up at the top of winding mountain roads!
Just an update on this, hubby filled up the camper today so I was able to calculate our fuel usage for our last 6 week holiday which has come as a very pleasant surprise:

miles covered: 4972
litres used: 668.79
average miles per litre: 7.43
average miles per gallon: 33.83​

He'd previously mentioned he'd noticed it had loosened up more during the latest holiday with it being fully run in and this appears to be borne out in the mpg figure.

Well pleased! (y)

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Just an update on this, hubby filled up the camper today so I was able to calculate our fuel usage for our last 6 week holiday which has come as a very pleasant surprise:

miles covered: 4972
litres used: 668.79
average miles per litre: 7.43
average miles per gallon: 33.83​

He'd previously mentioned he'd noticed it had loosened up more during the latest holiday with it being fully run in and this appears to be borne out in the mpg figure.

Well pleased! (y)

Glad to see this ties up with my similar figures....(y) as I was doubting mine (n)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Glad to see this ties up with my similar figures....(y) as I was doubting mine (n)
Hold fire ... I'm not totally convinced that hubby has given me the 'correct' mileage figure so I'll sneak out later and check whilst he takes the dogs for a walk and report back! :D

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I doubt your figurers as well.:LOL:
Mel has a PVC, we get around 23 out of our A Class but hopefully should get around 25 once its done at least 10,000 miles.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I guess a lot of Left Hand Drive people are in the same position as us in that we fill in litres and measure distance in km, to save the long winded conversion each time to do a "brim to brim" just work it out as km/litre and then multiply by 2.815 to get MPG, it took me ages to work it out so thought I would share.

Well I am jealous !!

We get about the same out of a 3 litre IVECO pushing 6t and built like a brick whatsit, which suggests that the van size and weight has more of a bearing on the figures than the engine capacity and power, makes sense really as its simply work done by the fuel, the engine is just a means of converting the fuel into motive power and the size and weight of the van is the resistance or work to be done.

Martin

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I guess a lot of Left Hand Drive people are in the same position as us in that we fill in litres and measure distance in km, to save the long winded conversion each time to do a "brim to brim" just work it out as km/litre and then multiply by 2.815 to get MPG, it took me ages to work it out so thought I would share.

We get about the same out of a 3 litre IVECO pushing 6t and built like a brick whatsit, which suggests that the van size and weight has more of a bearing on the figures than the engine capacity and power, makes sense really as its simply work done by the fuel, the engine is just a means of converting the fuel into motive power and the size and weight of the van is the resistance or work to be done.

Martin
Absolutely agree... Why on earth someone thought it would be a good idea to fit a 2.3 in a 5.5 ton van is a mystery !

But a bigger mastery is why A class vans seem, in general, to do better MPG than C class's

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Ok, I did 4492 miles on our trip and bought 639.33 litres of diesel = 140.63 gallons and by my reckoning that equates to :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek: 31.94 mpg :Grin::Grin::Grin: I’m well pleased with that...:party:

:cycle:

I doubt your figurers as well.:LOL:
Mel has a PVC, we get around 23 out of our A Class but hopefully should get around 25 once its done at least 10,000 miles.

Me too, a hymer 2012 b544, front as aero dynamic as Kim Kardashian’s arse.... weighing about 4000kg throughout but it was a long journey, left on a quarter of a tank from Cornwall to tunnel then down to biarritz over to Spain down the length of Portugal then along southern Spain and back up through Carcassonne to Calais. Back in Cornwall with 1/4 tank.

On board mpg was erratic for other reasons but said about an average of 27mpg, made sure I kept all receipts and recorded litres and mileage, I was very surprised by the mpg as didn’t think it would be that good..... I do drive like I’m not going anywhere though, 60 on the speedo with about 55-57 on the sat-nav... did have a few times when doing 65mph to get somewhere....

I now have around 47k on the van from 35k when bought back in March.... :Eeek:

I do use Millers Diesel fuel additive on most fillups.....(y)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
But a bigger mastery is why A class vans seem, in general, to do better MPG than C class's

All down to Aerodynamics, if it is an overcab there will lots of dirty air behind it and then again lots of dirty turbulent air behind it, saying nothing of the front, an A class might be a "brick" but its a cleaner "brick"

Martin

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
All down to Aerodynamics, if it is an overcab there will lots of dirty air behind it and then again lots of dirty turbulent air behind it, saying nothing of the front, an A class might be a "brick" but its a cleaner "brick"

Martin

Aerodynamics is more to do with the shape at the back of the 'brick' than the front. Drag is less about the hole you punch in the air as the turbulent air you are creating and dragging behind you. Look at a jumbo jet with it's fairly blunt nose, yet long tapered tail. Look at recent car designs where the roof line drops (taking away rear headroom) and the sides tuck-in in an effort to reduce the dragged vortex out the back. As A classes are generally wider and taller (so a larger area out the back) I'd expect them to do worse at speed.

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years

Martin
Not very scientific, but our cleaner brick is a very expensive fly squatter, compered to our previous coach built, so it ain't directing much air out of the way.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Aerodynamics is more to do with the shape at the back of the 'brick' than the front. Drag is less about the hole you punch in the air as the turbulent air you are creating and dragging behind you. Look at a jumbo jet with it's fairly blunt nose, yet long tapered tail. Look at recent car designs where the roof line drops (taking away rear headroom) and the sides tuck-in in an effort to reduce the dragged vortex out the back. As A classes are generally wider and taller (so a larger area out the back) I'd expect them to do worse at speed.
Yes indeed the “teardrop” I can’t imagine that an overcab hump followed by the the low pressure at the back is terribly aero but there again as you suggest not many vans are.

Martin

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Yes indeed the “teardrop” I can’t imagine that an overcab hump followed by the the low pressure at the back is terribly aero but there again as you suggest not many vans are.

Martin
Yeah, an overcab hump is going to make a mess of turbulence. I think the return slope needs to be about 15 degrees maximum or you'll get air flow separation.

Interesting facts (according to my hydraulics lecturer over 20 years ago):
-Most cars up until at least the early 90s had less drag going backwards than forwards.
-Put your wedge-shaped roof box on backwards and you'll get better mpg (although everyone will think you are an idiot)
-In some cases, putting roof bars on a particularly un-aerodynamic car or van can reduce the drag as it chops the trailing vortices into smaller ones. The power they sap is proportional to their area squared, so chopping one into two will half the drag. This is what some spoilers do.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Yeah, an overcab hump is going to make a mess of turbulence. I think the return slope needs to be about 15 degrees maximum or you'll get air flow separation.

Interesting facts (according to my hydraulics lecturer over 20 years ago):
-Most cars up until at least the early 90s had less drag going backwards than forwards.
-Put your wedge-shaped roof box on backwards and you'll get better mpg (although everyone will think you are an idiot)
-In some cases, putting roof bars on a particularly un-aerodynamic car or van can reduce the drag as it chops the trailing vortices into smaller ones. The power they sap is proportional to their area squared, so chopping one into two will half the drag. This is what some spoilers do.
Are we really discussing the aerodynamics of a Motorhome :LOL: it think we had better stop before we get locked up.

My brother has built this and teaching himself aero as he goes with orange wool and cameras and a bit of CFD software.

Martin

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
I notice a number of posts quoting 70+ MPH. I hope you don't do this in Spain as the limits are under3.5 56 MPH 3.5plus 62MPH and the guardia love to fine you:(

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I notice a number of posts quoting 70+ MPH. I hope you don't do this in Spain as the limits are under3.5 56 MPH 3.5plus 62MPH and the guardia love to fine you:(

Is it really slower for lighter vehicles??!? BTW, I found an information web site that said the same thing as you... seems odd.

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Our Transit 2.2 150bhp pulling a chassauon 510 did 30.6 mpg ( according to the on board computor) on our recent 3k miles disn through france and into N Spain. Kept speed below 63mph though.

Remember from a long time ago hearing that once you hit 40 mph an most of the power is used to defeat wind resistance , not pulling the weight of the van.

And thinking about it way dont vans have spoilers on them to cause the air to fill in behind the back and reduce the low pressure there , to reduce drag .could be the next innovation, big wings on the back end.....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back