off on a trip and stopping places (1 Viewer)

Sep 14, 2017
The Fens
Funster No
MH
Ford Duetto, 1995
Exp
Obviously i'm very busy at work .....:giggler:

So when you are out and about in the UK, and you want to stop for a break, can you pull up anywhere ?

I know car parks have height restrictions so they are a no no, so what do you look for please?

In France I've seen groups of MH all parked up in car park things what are they all about please too,

cheers jakki

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I think it's mainly lay-bys and B&Q car parks, otherwise go to France those car parks in France are Camping car aires, specifically for motorhomes. In the UK, your not allowed to enjoy your leisure time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
duffs
Sep 14, 2017
The Fens
Funster No
MH
Ford Duetto, 1995
Exp
I think it's mainly lay-bys and B&Q car parks, otherwise go to France those car parks in France are Camping car aires, specifically for motorhomes. In the UK, your not allowed to enjoy your leisure time.

lol ok going to look up Aires, thank you

Upvote 0

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
If you are meaning when you are travelling and just want to park up for a while, then just park anywhere convent where the van fits, if your talking about pitching up for the night then a good option is to be a member of one of the clubs like CCC. or. CMC. and use there CL's or CS's. As you say in Europe you have the Aire's and Stelaplats (no idea how to spell that). though now days there is often a charge for those like the CL's and CS's. here.

Upvote 0

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Obviously i'm very busy at work .....:giggler:

So when you are out and about in the UK, and you want to stop for a break, can you pull up anywhere ?

I know car parks have height restrictions so they are a no no, so what do you look for please?

In France I've seen groups of MH all parked up in car park things what are they all about please too,

cheers jakki
If you are stopping for a break and NOT intending to park up over night, you can stop anywhere that you can fit in. Some carparks have local by-laws that prevent cooking equipment being used etc. As long as you are legally allowed to stop and not causing an obstruction, you can take a break.
If you want to stop overnight in the UK, I would suggest you join the BritStops scheme and use the hundreds of Pubs, farm shops, wineries and amenity centres that offer overnight for one night to a motorhome or 3. There is a good link in the resources about pubs that allow stopovers and in the "Groups" tab on this site is all about BritStops.
In France the "Car Park things" are called Aires de Camping Car and are areas specifically made and used by Motorhomes only. There are various books and Apps - CamperContact for example that have these areas listed. You tube has loads of videos on Aires.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
duffs
Sep 14, 2017
The Fens
Funster No
MH
Ford Duetto, 1995
Exp
Ok thank you all, I've looked at Aires there are quite a few books and free sites, but it said a lot of people use them over campsites, and only go to a campsite to do laundry etc.

being a tenter, we go to France for 3 weeks and just loll about, few lunches etc out and about, but we love to sit and not do much, having said that we have done the Normandy coastline so many times we have seen most of it.

So I suppose most MH just stay a few days and are off again, I need to get my head around that having watched them from our tent only a few stayed for a week, most of them are just passing through.

I've seen MH in B&Q I now know why :coolest:

Reactions: Pia
Upvote 0
OP
OP
duffs
Sep 14, 2017
The Fens
Funster No
MH
Ford Duetto, 1995
Exp
If you are stopping for a break and NOT intending to park up over night, you can stop anywhere that you can fit in. Some carparks have local by-laws that prevent cooking equipment being used etc. As long as you are legally allowed to stop and not causing an obstruction, you can take a break.
If you want to stop overnight in the UK, I would suggest you join the BritStops scheme and use the hundreds of Pubs, farm shops, wineries and amenity centres that offer overnight for one night to a motorhome or 3. There is a good link in the resources about pubs that allow stopovers and in the "Groups" tab on this site is all about BritStops.
In France the "Car Park things" are called Aires de Camping Car and are areas specifically made and used by Motorhomes only. There are various books and Apps - CamperContact for example that have these areas listed. You tube has loads of videos on Aires.

Brilliant just looked at what you recommended, this group just gets better and better, thank you

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Ok thank you all, I've looked at Aires there are quite a few books and free sites, but it said a lot of people use them over campsites, and only go to a campsite to do laundry etc.

being a tenter, we go to France for 3 weeks and just loll about, few lunches etc out and about, but we love to sit and not do much, having said that we have done the Normandy coastline so many times we have seen most of it.

So I suppose most MH just stay a few days and are off again, I need to get my head around that having watched them from our tent only a few stayed for a week, most of them are just passing through.

We tend to move from place to place when on holiday as we are not fit enough to walk or cycle too far from base. Sometimes we find a nice site with public transport links and sometimes we find a lovely place and just stay put. We normally only pay for one night and then decide. One memorable occasion we checked into a campsite for one night in Tuscany and 10 days later thought we had better move on!
Of course it helps that there is no work to get back for :dance2::dance2:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
duffs
Sep 14, 2017
The Fens
Funster No
MH
Ford Duetto, 1995
Exp
Sadly I still work OH retired, but were hoping for lots of uk short trips and our main one in France and going further afield, my Bro lives in the Charente, so we will be able t go and see him, so excited and I haven't bought a MH yet

Upvote 0

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Sadly I still work OH retired, but were hoping for lots of uk short trips and our main one in France and going further afield, my Bro lives in the Charente, so we will be able t go and see him, so excited and I haven't bought a MH yet
We did tents tent trailers before our MH and we love the nomadic lifestyle of the MH stay if you wish or move on after a day or two!!
That's the beauty of it and no wet tent and clothes to pack and dry out!!
Bliss !!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
duffs
Sep 14, 2017
The Fens
Funster No
MH
Ford Duetto, 1995
Exp
We did tents tent trailers before our MH and we love the nomadic lifestyle of the MH stay if you wish or move on after a day or two!!
That's the beauty of it and no wet tent and clothes to pack and dry out!!
Bliss !!

It's hard to think of holidays like that I suppose until we actually get one and do it ourselves.

Upvote 0

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
It's hard to think of holidays like that I suppose until we actually get one and do it ourselves.
We took 5 years to eventually get one ! Hired and loved it then cashed in an endowment which was supposed to pay a mortgage and bought our first van!
Loved it!! Sometimes we just go for a couple of nights locally when we were both working. Enjoy!'

Upvote 0
OP
OP
duffs
Sep 14, 2017
The Fens
Funster No
MH
Ford Duetto, 1995
Exp
We took 5 years to eventually get one ! Hired and loved it then cashed in an endowment which was supposed to pay a mortgage and bought our first van!
Loved it!! Sometimes we just go for a couple of nights locally when we were both working. Enjoy!'

Ours is an inheritance otherwise it wouldn't be happening yet, but need a new bathroom and replace camping car, so we won't be left with loads, but enough to make our holidays better.

Just waiting for our Aunties house to be sold , so can't do anything for awhile

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I think the UK short trips can be the best part. So easy to keep MH packed up and then can be off and away, You don't have to go far to feel like you've had a break.

Upvote 0

Julie and Charles

Free Member
Sep 6, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own a MH yet
Exp
15 years under canvas, 13 years in a caravan
I'm the same, jumping up and down, over excited, always thinking about places to go.

Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987

If you like travelling about and really seeing the best parts of France, I can recommend aires. As for laundry, lots of supermarkets have outside laundries, just park the van next to them and do your washing. Most machines will wash and dry a fortnights wash easily.
Try and buy a van with an easy to use ( separate) shower and you never need visit a campsite again, except in the UK.
If you've done Normandy, Brittany has fantastic beaches, so does the Vendee, etc

Upvote 0

lawry

Free Member
Jun 25, 2017
MERTHYR TYDFIL
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840se
Exp
8 years
Hi Jakki
A great way of travelling in uk is as a member of the ccc to use their DA Meets (district association) Can be found in the Out and About section of the on line magazine and the app is good Will show you when and where .And you dont haave to book ! Just turn up
Must admit we dont use the CCC sites much but the DA meets are cheap £8 pn ish and find they are in the main well laid back Mainly just over the weekends but also have holiday meets of any length up to a month sometimes Another

Upvote 0
OP
OP
duffs
Sep 14, 2017
The Fens
Funster No
MH
Ford Duetto, 1995
Exp
Hi Jakki
A great way of travelling in uk is as a member of the ccc to use their DA Meets (district association) Can be found in the Out and About section of the on line magazine and the app is good Will show you when and where .And you dont haave to book ! Just turn up
Must admit we dont use the CCC sites much but the DA meets are cheap £8 pn ish and find they are in the main well laid back Mainly just over the weekends but also have holiday meets of any length up to a month sometimes Another

I think we are members of the CCC, so that's very helpful thank you Lawry, off to read about those now.

Yes we are, just found all the emails from them, (y)(y)

cheers jakki

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back