Cruise Control V's Fuel Economy (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
When and if I do use it, it as you have descibed above but it doesn't form part of my natural driving routine, so maybe I'll give it a go this weekend on all roads - when I remember, and see if it makes driving a "better" experience. Then I maybe a CC convert and s0d the extra fuel if it does make a diference.(y)
Like it sod the extra fuel.:) Whether it uses more fuel or not will depend on the type of driver you are without it. If you are a fugal driver then CC will use a tad more fuel but if you are a boy racer then cc will save you money.(y)

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Use it all the time on Mway with large trailer (316 sprinter with Sprintshift) no difference in mpg, but wouldn't of had a motorhome if I worried to much about it.

OP
OP
Zigisla

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Boy Racer.JPG

Like it sod the extra fuel.:) Whether it uses more fuel or not will depend on the type of driver you are without it. If you are a fugal driver then CC will use a tad more fuel but if you are a boy racer then cc will save you money.(y)
Defo Boy Racer.. Look at the aero and all with a 2.3 130 bhp

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I find my cruise control much easier to live with since tying the piece of string to the stick jammed under the dash. Saves having to keep bending down to knock it out of cruise :Grin:.

Steve devon

Free Member
Sep 7, 2014
North devon
Funster No
MH
Adria sonic supreme
Exp
Since 2015
Cruise is so much better than trying to get your right foot in the door well, perching yer Arse on the edge of the seat and controlling the throttle with yer left foot.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Had mine fitted by Dave Newell a few years ago its brilliant on long journeys much more relaxing and less tiring.
Mpg probably better because I dont keep drifting up into 70s just keep a steady 60/62 and overide as big hills approach.
A must if you travel a lot imo (y)

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
I find my cruise control much easier to live with since tying the piece of string to the stick jammed under the dash. Saves having to keep bending down to knock it out of cruise :Grin:.
Been there, read the book!:)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
A/C not used as MH bought in Dec. ;)
It should come on to aid de-misting. Additionally it should also be run for approx. 30 mins every week to prevent the compressor seal from drying out & then the gas will be lost.

Cruise control best thing ever, stops my leg from aching on long runs

I fitted a hand throttle.:)

Cruise is so much better than trying to get your right foot in the door well, perching yer Arse on the edge of the seat and controlling the throttle with yer left foot.

In a frog-eye sprite I had years ago I used to use a brick to hold accelerator down.

Before I fitted hand throttle I would always have to swop feet on the long stretches across the centre of spain.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
I was in the book "Cola cowboys" :cool:.
On my first "extended" tour of France in my 1983 Joseph Arnold (310, 5 speed manual Merc) many years ago, the gear lever snapped off at floor level as luck would have it, I had a small trolley Jack, the handle of which sufficed as a gear lever for several months until I got a replacement off a scrapper.

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Use my CC nearly all the time fuel economy is irrelevant compared to the price of the vehicle.
At the end of the day it doesn't make much odds to fuel consuption. It actually uses a lot more fuel as it floors the throttle every time you come to hill but that is compensated because I tend to drive slower with CC on as without it speed gradually creeps up.

Would agree with this BUT our Challenger on a Transit Chassis 6 speed 155 bhp,with CC on and arriving at a hill it slows until it loses 10kph then the CC cuts out,what the hell is that about?by the time you have lost a bit of speed and then realized what's going on you are needing to drop two gears to recover the lost impetus.
Then of course I am using more revs to regain the speed.
Neither of my cars with CC do this,one an auto (BM sorry) and the manual a Skoda, looked in the book and this is what it's meant to do.
Just spoils the otherwise relaxing drive with the CC on,just saying.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Cc is also very good when you want change drivers without stopping.:eek::D.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Having said the above getting 25mpg and just starting to loosen up at 4,000 Kms so hoping for a little more,blimey does it go well,no wonder trannies were always used by robbers!!
Fiat don't consider engine run in until 15000 miles. noticed my Comformatic ox working much better since getting to 140000 miles.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Sadly not for me prefer to being in control ,i always find using CC takes too much control away from ,when i feel i need to reduce speed at junctions ,bends ect .When driving we all anticipate what the driver in the front or coming up the rear is going to do and with my foot on the accelerator ,again feel i am ready to react quickly. Like all of us i have done long stretches in Europe ect and always been comfortable with my foot on pedal.I know lots swear by then and to them i say enjoy.lol
Interestingly for the same reason I find cruise safer. If I'm on cruise I always cover the brake so I am a fraction of a second ahead when it comes to an emergency.

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
Interestingly for the same reason I find cruise safer. If I'm on cruise I always cover the brake so I am a fraction of a second ahead when it comes to an emergency.
You may read the road ahead better whilst using cruise?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I don't really see a connection between CC or not vs MPG, CC is for maintaining a speed when you want to give your foot a rest, when manual driving is required just click it off and take over. When you drive over Spain towards the South coast there are 100's of miles of straight roads with no traffic that just require a steady speed CC is a godsend.

Martin

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I was in the book "Cola cowboys" :cool:.
I've still got that somewhere.Coca- cola cowboys wasn't it ?

Fiat don't consider engine run in until 15000 miles. noticed my Comformatic ox working much better since getting to 140000 miles.
I'd have thought it was doing well at 140k .:):D

No ,just looked . Why I thought it was coca-cola I've no idea.lol

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I have CC on my car and I use it when on motorways it does improve my mpg, essential in roadworks with speed restrictions set, ignore, enjoy. job done..

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I've still got that somewhere.Coca- cola cowboys wasn't it ?

I'd have thought it was doing well at 140k .:):D

No ,just looked . Why I thought it was coca-cola I've no idea.lol

Like Coca-Cola we could be found just about anywhere on the planet during the 80s. It was not because we drank the stuff :D. My wife at the time thought it was because we only drank Coca-Cola, then the BBC made a film about Astran and the Middle East run and burst my bubble. Unfortunately the marriage did not last long after that.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I have just driven up the M1 from junction 1 to 5. I set my cruise at 80mph and set my watch to buzz me in ten mins just in case I nodded off. Fantastic driving early on a Saturday morning.(y)

androidGB

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
Like Coca-Cola we could be found just about anywhere on the planet during the 80s. It was not because we drank the stuff :D. My wife at the time thought it was because we only drank Coca-Cola, then the BBC made a film about Astran and the Middle East run and burst my bubble. Unfortunately the marriage did not last long after that.

OP
OP
Zigisla

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Thanks to all who replied re Fuel Economy side of using CC. I used mine all weekend and to be perfectly honest I have to agree with the majority – again!! :rolleyes:, it didn’t seem to make much of a difference in the fuel, so where I got my original thought from Heaven only knows. :D On the same run earlier, I started full and ended just over 3/4 and this weekend, I had the same ish left in the tank. So clearly not too much to be concerned with.(y) I have always used it for roads with reduced speed limits on them so that the Sat Nav doesn’t keep bleeping at me - such an annoying sound!! o_O. As for using CC to reduce fatigue or ease of driving doesn’t make any odds to me as still not driven long enough in the UK to ever get a straight flat road. Good piece of advice about manually increasing speed prior to a hill and having to change down fewer times now, so thanks to who ever gave me that - @buttons I think. It will obviously come into its own when I venture abroad to a more MH friendly driving Country. ;)
Just recovered the trip read out and I’m up to 23 MPH woohoo!!(y)

Thanks again to you all.

androidGB

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
I don't think you can deduce much by looking at the fuel gauge, because they are inherently very inaccurate. Any change is going to be very small, and the only way you can really tell is over

a number " fill to the brim" refuellings.

Andrew

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
Mpg can be affected by the slightest thing, when we travel north to Cumbria we get better fuel economy than the return journey, probably because of the wind direction!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back