DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Workshop have just called, they are delivering my MH back to me, all working fine

Problem is though the ECU Testing company found no fault, but have rebuilt the controller, which involves new components, so we now have effectively got a refurbished unit. As it was intermittent before we may still not have fixed things, only time will tell.

Before it went in the faults could not even be reset, now they are clear, doing a further 20 miles test drive on way back to me

The next journey will prove a lot, although I did Falkirk and back with no issues the week before it decided to go into permanent limp mode

So, watch this space, we are at least on our way to Wrenbury tomorrow (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Very pleased you have your motorhome back, probably good news for your garage too.

What is the cost difference between removing, overhauling and refitting the ECU and having a new turbo assembly fitted as intimated by Mercedes only willing to supply the complete unit?

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Very pleased you have your motorhome back, probably good news for your garage too.

What is the cost difference between removing, overhauling and refitting the ECU and having a new turbo assembly fitted as intimated by Mercedes only willing to supply the complete unit?

Not seen the bill yet, the real problem was going to be there appears to be no way to get the 'whole assembly' off ie including the turbo without dropping the engine

Bill from ECU testing about £250 inc VAT, so that compared to £1200 + VAT for the complete turbo we are well up on parts, but around 10 hours labour, which includes changing the easy to get at cheap bit they did first but made no difference

At least we can use it again :)

I will confirm final price when I get the bill, I do at least have the luxury of still being VAT registered and the MH has been assigned to the company, so we get the VAT back and the rest reduces the tax bill for the year (y)

the 'good for the garage' bit is he has got some space back, he has been keeping it inside since I told him we have no insurance for theft (long story but I must get an alarm fitted)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

androidGB

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
Another recommendation for getting it on the Star diagnostic system.

A few year ago in France I had a loss of power , and a lot of smoke when under load.

Took it into a French garage (not MB) and was told it was probably the turbo had failed.

Got it back to the UK booked it into the local MB truck Dealer , they put it on the system, and told me a sensor had failed on the turbo side.

Got the van back within a couple of hours, and I believe the all in cost was about £180

Andrew

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
You need to get it on Mercedes Star diagnostic as I mentioned previously. Good luck with it.
Another recommendation for getting it on the Star diagnostic system.

I confirmed my workshop does use the Star diagnostics, forgot to post on here when I found out (y)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
@DavidG58 hope all is sorted now, if not the Concorde factory have a used Centurion 1020G for a grand under 400k, it's quite nice actually.

Anyway as long you are sorted we should be safe to head into the Czech Republic, we have been parked at Passau for OOOOO, the last 5 hours worrying about you.

Martin

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Not too sure about Star diagnostics, it can tell porkies just like all the other diagnostics. My 2007 sprinter based Pilote had an intermittent fault with ABS / ESP, which mean't that it would not start. If left for a while it would clear itself, until last year when we were away in Belgium and it would not clear at all. Breakdown peeps took it to a Merc. dealer who after putting the Star diagnostic box on declared the fault was with the ignition switch at a cost of shed loads of euros and at least a weeks wait. As the fault had cleared we decided to not take them up on the offer and continued with our holiday. Every morning we would cross our fingers and hope that it would start, having chosen somewhere the night before that would be ok to stop if it didn't. After a week of choosing the furthest fuel pump from the kiosk so that we could keep the engine running we arrived back home. Took the van to a local mechanic that is a proper mechanic not a fitter as most seem to be these days as dealings with Merc. garage had not been wonderful in the past. He had the van for a few days after spraying the relays with contact cleaner, which worked until we went to start it the next week and the fault had returned. The van went back to the mechanic who decided to replaced the relay, when he took out the ECU relay he noticed a lot of corrosion on the terminals. Since the relay replacement the van has been as good as gold (touch wood). So as you can see I do not have much faith in Merc. mechanics or Star diagnostics

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
@FJmike like you I have total faith in my workshop, having paid Audi main dealer workshop rates 10 years ago @ £100 / hour + VAT, I will be staying independent until I have a MH under warranty again, which may be a while :)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
@DavidG58 hope all is sorted now, if not the Concorde factory have a used Centurion 1020G for a grand under 400k, it's quite nice actually.

Anyway as long you are sorted we should be safe to head into the Czech Republic, we have been parked at Passau for OOOOO, the last 5 hours worrying about you.

Martin

Thanks Martin, although I suspect the empathy may be yours the 'worry' will have been Jennys :)

Get back to your Czech Red worries :D:D

See you soon hopefully

BTW £400K is just a few too many £'s :LOL::LOL:

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
My previous experience with Merc commercial was when I had a turbo pipe collapse. Local stealer said they would investigate only to tell me they couldn't find a fault and here is a bill for hour and half labour at £100 er hour plus vat. Not impressed and haven't been back since

Jun 15, 2009
Pontefract Yorkshire.
Funster No
Not too sure about Star diagnostics, it can tell porkies just like all the other diagnostics. My 2007 sprinter based Pilote had an intermittent fault with ABS / ESP, which mean't that it would not start. If left for a while it would clear itself, until last year when we were away in Belgium and it would not clear at all. Breakdown peeps took it to a Merc. dealer who after putting the Star diagnostic box on declared the fault was with the ignition switch at a cost of shed loads of euros and at least a weeks wait. As the fault had cleared we decided to not take them up on the offer and continued with our holiday. Every morning we would cross our fingers and hope that it would start, having chosen somewhere the night before that would be ok to stop if it didn't. After a week of choosing the furthest fuel pump from the kiosk so that we could keep the engine running we arrived back home. Took the van to a local mechanic that is a proper mechanic not a fitter as most seem to be these days as dealings with Merc. garage had not been wonderful in the past. He had the van for a few days after spraying the relays with contact cleaner, which worked until we went to start it the next week and the fault had returned. The van went back to the mechanic who decided to replaced the relay, when he took out the ECU relay he noticed a lot of corrosion on the terminals. Since the relay replacement the van has been as good as gold (touch wood). So as you can see I do not have much faith in Merc. mechanics or Star diagnostics

You do have to have a good man using diagnostic equipment, non of the tools point you directly to the fault every time not even Star. But if you have a Mercedes vehicle nothing beats it. Finding a man to understand it and use it properly is another matter.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I had hoped to post the final news on here, best news is we still have not had bill from workshop, best bit of family friends etc.

However having done Wrenbury and back with no issues, thought we were fixed, did Newark (30 miles away) this weekend, dropped into 'limp mode' twice on way home, no engine management light, but had to stop and restart engine to reset. :-(

I was aware both times of a change in engine power at point of failure, seems to relate to changing up to top gear, then no kick down, virtually no acceleration can just maintain 50mph on flat, slight gradient down to 35/40 mph

Back to workshop tomorrow, or may just trade in, look out for Hymer 800S on forecourts, one to be avoided :)

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Oh heck David you're not having a lot of luck with the van lately. I sincerely hope things improve post haste. Good luck with the resolution.

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now 😢
Exp
Hi David, just catching up have missed all this till now, so sorry you are having a bad run ... Hope you can get it resolved soon one way or another.:(

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
@DavidG58 ......any news?????

Hello Debs

I got distracted by our extension on Monday had a builder crisis that overtook the Hymer issues for a few hours, took MH for another drive, 40 miles, no problem, looking to get it in a failed state back to workshop, otherwise it will be 'no fault found'. Trouble is it is nearly undriveable in 'limp mode' unless downhill or totally flat :)

At least we didn't have an engine management light on this time, so it may be unrelated to the last issues, maybe o_O I am maybe being more optimistic than getting to Hawes in an hour from Doncaster :D:D

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Hello Debs

I got distracted by our extension on Monday had a builder crisis that overtook the Hymer issues for a few hours, took MH for another drive, 40 miles, no problem, looking to get it in a failed state back to workshop, otherwise it will be 'no fault found'. Trouble is it is nearly undriveable in 'limp mode' unless downhill or totally flat :)

At least we didn't have an engine management light on this time, so it may be unrelated to the last issues, maybe o_O I am maybe being more optimistic than getting to Hawes in an hour from Doncaster :D:D
Oh that's such a pain but as I know I've said before our friends had something similar with a VW which went on for months & months & they never got to the bottom of it:(. Perhaps you should drive it every day to see if you can get the light to come on(y)

Not sure about timings for Donny to Hawes - we got lost and took a scenic route in torrential rain then got held up close to Hawes waiting for the Air Ambulance.....must admit I don't think we saw the best side of the place when we were there, we left early & found the sun at Clumber Park (oh and bumped into @Tootles :Eeek::LOL:)

Really hope you get sorted soon:)

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
......................Which of coarse was the highlight of your trip!
Anyway, it was for mine. :):):)
:):):) It was lovely & even more lovely to realise you're not anywhere near as scary as you can come over on here::bigsmile:
...aw that's sweet of you :makeup: (are you feeling quite well though????)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
:):):) It was lovely & even more lovely to realise you're not anywhere near as scary as you can come over on here::bigsmile:
...aw that's sweet of you :makeup: (are you feeling quite well though????)
You see, young Debs, that the whole point! I'm really not as black as some Welsh 'people' would paint me! I'm just little old cuddly wuddly Tootles, friend to all, enemy of no one! And, I appreciate a pretty face, a stunning figure, and a lovely and seductive smile. Hence, I was taken to you in a mere trice!!(y)(y)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
More woes, now seems unlikely that the initial diagnosis was good, so 2 weeks in workshop and £1200 poorer, still got effectively the same fault

Did a 60 mile round trip today, all OK till nearly home, went into 'limp / safe' mode as I came off M1 at our junction, no engine management light, only symptom no power, struggled with 30mph up slight slope. Stopped and restarted engine, not fixed, stopped for longer, locked unlocked vehicle (not really sure what I thought that would do but might just reset something!!) still not having it

Came to steep hill home, will not even pull away, parked on mates drive who conveniently lives on said hill with decent sized drive :)

Now he does a bit of mechanicing and has masses more engine related nouse than I have, his partner drives an aging SLK that developed a similar issue last year, turned out hers had an intermittent issue with a potentiometer on the throttle pedal, apparently hers had 2 and because the 'system' noticed different readings it went into limp, no warning lights, just no power. He fixed his with a second hand throttle pedal

How I hope mine might be so simple, no idea if my Mercedes even has a similar system or old fashioned cable, going on to Mercedes Sprinter forums looking for likely causes, unless of course someone here is inspired :)(y)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
He fixed his with a second hand throttle pedal

How I hope mine might be so simple, no idea if my Mercedes even has a similar system or old fashioned cable, going on to Mercedes Sprinter forums looking for likely causes, unless of course someone here is inspired :)(y)
just reading through this & I was thinking throttle pedal- Yes it will have one , they all do these days. "fly by wire" & yes I'm sure most have 2 potentiometer's.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back