Glad Have An 'older' Van .. Are You ? (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I keep reading posts about problems with auto this or auto that .. fridges with error codes and doing strange things.. Alde heating that needs a degree to operate.. and Truma boilers that need software upgrades.. it's a boiler not a rocket ship.. :rolleyes:

I like it simple.. I like things I can fix without a degree in computer science.. I like stuff that can be fixed with gaffa tape, tie wraps or WD40 ..

I'm not a Luddite.. I enjoy and use lots of technology.. smart phones etc.. and before retiring digital technology was part and parcel of my job as an instrument tech.

but for a motorhome and when the kit is critical, .. I like it simple.. KISS ..

why do things have to be so complicated.. :(

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
I agree - new motorhomes (including ours) are all glitzy & whizzy which is fine until it goes wrong :( Even under warranty it's a hassle. I would happily sacrifice looks for a practical rufty-tufty wipe clean interior with modular, marine quality fixtures & fittings that are from mainstream suppliers & easy to repair & replace. Still looking for such a beastie but if we ever do find it then will probably be above our budget...

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Im with you Jim as we bought a washing machine recently and it has a funcion on it to keep in touch by Iphone why ? likewise we have just had a new boiler fitted and is is more complex than the starship Enterprise.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Don't ask me mate I have just put all this tecky stuff in the van and still don't know what half of it does -This Victron smart/charger/invertor unit and press button fridge/freezer are both smarter than me:( and as to the Hydronic water /heater combined thing with a 7 day timer I fear it will never get used or I will be found frozen to death :)Simple knobs roool as JJ would say ;)
terry

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
Don't ask me mate I have just put all this tecky stuff in the van and still don't know what half of it does -This Victron smart/charger/invertor unit and press button fridge/freezer are both smarter than me:( and as to the Hydronic water /heater combined thing with a 7 day timer I fear it will never get used or I will be found frozen to death :)Simple knobs roool as JJ would say ;)
terry

Simple knobs rool!!!!

Can you keep politics out of this please!

:cooler:

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
I broke a part for my garage door at home recently it was a plastic part that fitted on the back of the door handle it was £18.00 plus post that was a little expensive if I would have had more time I would have made it out of Meccano .

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
why do things have to be so complicated.. :(

Because university educated kids with no experience of the real world are moving into design and all these complexities are so obviously "good" in the design workshops and look so inviting to the sales people that we get lumbered with them.

How about the Megan that needs the bumper removing to replace a headlamp bulb.

Kids, don't you love them.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
i have a 2004 autosleeper and think its brill, but what do you mean in terms of old ? just curious :)

no particular year.. our's is 2001 , and has great build quality.. everything works as it should.. as good as the day it left Mr Hymer's factory..
but any that still have the fridges with knobs and manual power selection and a Truma with two slider switches and a thermostat .. an even older van had a fridge with a flint and wheel sparker to light it.. you looked under it to see if it were lit.. quite often it would go 'bang' .. the same van had a Whale foot water pump on the floor.. and a gas light .. no 12v in these days..

nostalgia .. great init .. starting to sound like my dad.. :LOL:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I can see your point,but as you get older and have more disposable income it's nice to buy new things.

yes, but only if they work better or are more reliable..

many 'new' things are now built to budget and are not nearly so well made .. that goes for just about anything.. from domestic washing machines to cameras.. all high tech.. all loaded with electronics that are in many cases does not make the product function better .. it often just makes it less reliable..

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I am totally with Mr ScotJimland on this where motorhomes are concerned.

My 1987 Hymer 660S has...

A 3 way, manually operated fridge.

If I want 12 volts, I switch the 12 volts on.

If I want mains, I switch the mains on.

If I want it on gas, I switch on the gas and operate the igniter by pushing the button to make a spark.

The gas hot water heats the hot water, thats all...

The room heater heats the interior.

A fan can be switched on to circulate the warm air around the space. I can control the speed OR I can switch it to automatic, thermostatic control.

The cooker rings light with a match or lighter thingy.

And this continues through the van with the air cooler and the kitchen extractor fan and so on.

If one item malfunctions (a rare occurrence) it doesn't stop anything else working.

In my opinion, all the gizmos and flashing lights are put in so the salesman in a suit, who has possibly never spent a night in a motorhome, can tell the prospective customer, who has possibly never spent a night in a motorhome, how ESSENTIAL they are.

It makes me think, "Lambs to slaughter".

JJ :cool:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Fortunately ten years with RVs including five years with our present one from new has been fault free, other than couldn't find a 12v circuit breaker . (y)

Now we have a 12 year old Hymer so a new / old experience, looking forward to it, should be fun :rolleyes:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I think it applies to cars too.

All these high tech engine management systems are a load of tosh.

I had a Jaguar once that decided to go into "limp home mode" about 30 miles from home.

Next day the garage hooked it up to some diagnostic machine and there was nothing wrong with it.:doh:

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
We are very happy with our 15 year old van.
Big basic turbo diesel with no fancy electrics, no ecu (can't chip it but what the hell).
Simple gas or electric boiler, fixed it once myself when the tie bar went pop in Ireland, definitely not rocket science.
Manual step, no Sargent unit, no step program (a program for a step!!!).
3 way fridge that works in all 3 modes. I have to push the odd switch or turn a knob but it's hardly roughing it.
Shurflo water pump , solar, ctek, & a good 3 stage charger & that's it.
I suppose the only thing that could upset the apple cart is the engine alarm/immobiliser but I think it's a basic unit & touch wood it's been fine up to now ( shouldn't have said that should I ).
The only thing I would change if possible would be full winterisation of the water system as it's a British van with suspended tanks etc.
I think Brit companies have only started taking winterisation seriously in the last few years, strange because it gets bloody cold here. Must be a demand issue.

Yes, definitely KISS (y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
yes, but only if they work better or are more reliable..

many 'new' things are now built to budget and are not nearly so well made .. that goes for just about anything.. from domestic washing machines to cameras.. all high tech.. all loaded with electronics that are in many cases does not make the product function better .. it often just makes it less reliable..

I agree with what you are saying but my point was that now I can afford it it is nice to buy new than have someone else's cast off, the boss doesn't agree can't get her to get rid of her 16 year old banger, it's cost less over the 13 years we have had it than the services on my 3 year old car, but I still want a new one.:)

Why do they have to put a microprocessor in everything, old fashioned electronics I can fix myself, but I still like to buy new.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I think it applies to cars too.

All these high tech engine management systems are a load of tosh.

I had a Jaguar once that decided to go into "limp home mode" about 30 miles from home.

Next day the garage hooked it up to some diagnostic machine and there was nothing wrong with it.:doh:
I had the opposite problem when our Berlingo broke down. When the AA put the diagnostic machine on it all it gave was fuel starvation in cylinder 4. When our own mechanic started the car to check the diagnosis the timing belt broke and caused £800 of damage. It turned out that the fuel starvation was caused by a fracture in the camshaft which the diagnostics were not programmed to identify :(

May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with
It's the price of parts that annoys me from the likes of Dometic etal
We required a salad box for our Dometic fridge-Fortunately it was part of the negotiations with Marquis-Cost for box base £52 and another £32 for the lid. Just bits of standard plastic at ludicrous prices!

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
12 years old, 15 years old, 2001 model...

Excuse me... these are practically NEW vans to me...

(and as an aside to Mr Terry, my knobs might be simple but they operate as they were designed to... :rofl:)

(OMG... a "knob" gag... :Eeek:)

JJ :cool:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Have to agree Jim I like my van simple so when we're away on extended trips I can fix any minor problems we may have, usually with a hammer gaffer tape and cable ties.
Remember once on one of my overland motorcycle trips the bloody support vehicle broke down had to be rescued and transported nearly a thousand miles. It was a poxy electrical fault on a relay that caused the computer to shut the whole thing down and no way to by pass it, try getting a spare part halfway down the Pamir see pic.

Having said that I've just ordered a new motorbike which is loaded up with more electronic gadgets than the first space shuttle, but if I was going on a long overland it would be my last choice bike, but it is bloody amazing.

Pamir.jpg

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I agree with what you are saying but my point was that now I can afford it it is nice to buy new than have someone else's cast off, the boss doesn't agree can't get her to get rid of her 16 year old banger, it's cost less over the 13 years we have had it than the services on my 3 year old car, but I still want a new one.:)

I run a 2003 Honda CRV .. had it for five years, only done 80K miles, I'm the second owner, and it has been serviced by Honda main dealer since new.. I'm well known in the dealership, and every time I go in, the Honda sales guy tries to flog me an new one.. then I ask him.. how is it better, does it do the job any better.. why would I want to trade a perfectly good car .. is it loaded with toys ? ..

At this point his face lights up and says YES.. you'll love it Mr Allan.. it has this gizzmo, that gizzmo, sat nav that can take you too the Moon and back... it nearly drives itself.. he says proudly.. (you just know this guy is Honda trained) .

My reply is .. thanks, now I know why I don't want it.. He replies.. .. the problem with Honda's is they last too long... people hang onto them.. I say.. you should get a job at Fords.. It's all a game.. we play it every time I visit.. :LOL:

I could afford a new car, I could have bought a nearly new Hymer but chose not to.. why would I spend £80K ++ on a van.. ? Madness.. I'd be too scared to use it for fear of scratching it.. and it would be loaded to the gunwales with electronics and stuff that would just worry me.. I'd rather have the cash to enjoy trips with than a shiny new Hymer on the drive..

So we all think differently.. no right or wrong..

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I would happily sacrifice looks for a practical rufty-tufty wipe clean interior with modular, marine quality fixtures & fittings that are from mainstream suppliers & easy to repair & replace. Still looking for such a beastie but if we ever do find it then will probably be above our budget...

You might have to build your own :)

I do agree with @ScotJimland , some things are just too complex for their own good..... why have seventeen different speed settings on a desk fan for example! I like simple.....

Our motorhome is a complex beast but it does have separate water and space heating, no solar, no aircon to worry about but it does have the complex auto fridge. Compared to our old 1988 Hymer it is in some ways better but in others less so..... I'd love to have a van custom built for us but finances will probably never allow that :(

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
yes, but only if they work better or are more reliable....

Central heating boilers ! We replaced our 40 year old cast iron monster with a modern one. Yes it uses less gas but if it lasts 10 years it's a good 'un. So long term costs, debatable which is cheaper.

Statistics say, the more there is, the more to go wrong. The cast iron boiler had a thermostat, the now one a big computer, loads of sensors, complex gas valve, fan.

Same with the vehicles.

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
I used to get a new company car every 3 years. Got quite excited as changeover time approached, choosing model and spec etc. Took about a week of using it before it was just another car.
I would love to have a new van with all up to date gizmos etc, nice shiny new interior etc, but I know it wouldn't take long before it was just another van. And this time it's my own money. Our van isn't that old anyway (2007), it's well built, everything works, it's comfortable, and a wee bit shabby. That means I don't get stressed when the wine gets spilt, or I hear branches scratching down the side on a narrow road.
But that won't stop me looking, and if I ever come in to enough money whereby a new van doesn't cost half my life savings, well, who knows.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
And this time it's my own money. Our van isn't that old anyway (2007), it's well built, everything works, it's comfortable, and a wee bit shabby. That means I don't get stressed when the wine gets spilt, or I hear branches scratching down the side on a narrow road.
But that won't stop me looking, and if I ever come in to enough money whereby a new van doesn't cost half my life savings, well, who knows.

Will probably never buy new - not because of the money so much as because of the stress and worry of when it will get it's first scratch or dent or whatever. Life's too short.

I am a bit of an auction sale enthusiast and am replacing our modern and wearing badly furniture in the house with older stuff.... looks much more solid and classy. As much of this furniture will have come from house clearances I feel that every piece has a tale to tell and the previous owner would be glad that it is still somewhere where it is admired and appreciated.

Even if I am not successful with my bid it's still a good day out!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back